Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palm Springs, CA (LIVE 19 Jun 2019, 11 urban + 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No news yet on TMC as far as I know. It’s on the map for “Fall 2018”. It may well be under construction somewhere but no one has posted on TMC about it. Or it may not be under construction yet or even permitted.

819E265C-FA55-4E89-AA34-15EDD20BBFCC.png

From the minutes of the September 20, 2018 Palm Springs City Council meeting (see bottom of page 10)

APPROVAL OF A SUPERCHARGER AGREEMENT WITH TESLA, INC. FOR INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE OF TESLA SUPERCHARGER STATIONS LOCATED WITHIN THE DOWNTOWN PALM SPRINGS PARKING GARAGE

There appears to be only one municipal parking garage in Palm Springs, at 235 South Indian Canyon Drive.

Reactions: MarcoRP and ohmman
Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.19.08 PM.png
The location you have may not be correct. According to the Palm Springs website
Free Downtown Parking | City of Palm Springs
There is a new downtown parking area located south of the Hyatt and between North Palm Canyon Drive and North Museum Drive.
It is shown on Google maps as unpaved dirt. The satellite image must be old.
This seems like a more likely location due to its size. The other lot is small.

You are quite right, there is a new public garage at that location (the Google Maps satellite view of that area is at least two years out of date). So there are two possible locations for the future Palm Springs Supercharger. I am going to modify the thread title. Thank you.
[QUOTE="gasisnasty, post: 3118411, member: 86158”]The location you have may not be correct. According to the Palm Springs website
Free Downtown Parking | City of Palm Springs
There is a new downtown parking area located south of the Hyatt and between North Palm Canyon Drive and North Museum Drive.
It is shown on Google maps as unpaved dirt. The satellite image must be old.
This seems like a more likely location due to its size. The other lot is small.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
Considering the location and the distance from through traffic for travel and the number of snowbirds that flock to the region, I would think that this spot will be for Urbanchargers and not the classic Superchargers.

Guess we will have to stay tuned. . . . .

The Garage on Indian Canyon and Baristo already has 4 Level 2 Chargers. I use this location often. I hope its not the proposed site as its predominately gets iced on the Level 2's and is pretty much full on weekends. I was hoping they would have negotiated with the Tribe to place it in their new garage a few blocks away. The locations you are referring to are on Palm Canyon and owned and begin developed by Wessman development,The location of the Old palm springs mall.

The Agenda packet from the 2018-09-20 council meeting (PDF warning) contains the agreement between the city and Tesla with the explicit details on the future site. Summary:
This action will approve a "Supercharger Agreement" with Tesla, Inc., authorizing Tesla to install, operate, and maintain a total of twenty-four (24) parking stalls as a "Supercharger Station" within the City's Downtown Palm Springs Parking Garage, within the northerly underground level near Museum Drive and Belardo Road.

While that makes it sound like 24 superchargers are immediately going to be installed, the agreement is actually structured to have 2 phases. The initial deployment will be 11 stalls (including ADA compliant). And then if and when a certain threshold of usage is met (2000 charging sessions/month) for 3 consecutive months, Tesla is authorized to install, should they so choose, the second phase of 13 stalls (including another ADA compliant). The packet also contains the site plan, a screencap of which I've linked below. Note, the superchargers are going to be installed in the underground section of the parking structures, with the first phase being the line of stalls which run North to South.

By the terms of the agreement, the first day which Tesla can enter the premises and property to begin work is 2018-11-01 (i.e. November 1st). And Tesla is required to have the site operational within 150 days (~5 months) of the Possession Date, "provided that no external permitting, utility, or other requirements beyond Tesla's control delay the installation, despite the best efforts of Tesla." Again, note that this agreement doesn't include or say anything else about a permit. And Palm Springs only has applications through September posted online so far. I would expect a permit application to have only been a while after the Council approval (i.e. at the earliest in October). And maybe not until they formally take possession on November 1st. So, we may have to wait a while for concrete evidence of the permit application to be publicly viewable.

Attachments

• PalmSprings Supercharger_detail.png
    PalmSprings Supercharger_detail.png
    819.1 KB · Views: 153
  • PalmSprings Supercharger_overview.png
    PalmSprings Supercharger_overview.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • Informative
Reactions: K3Man and emupilot
881A27C1-7A29-452B-BFEF-1C66A72E81F5.jpeg
I took this picture last September, which is more current than the aerial photo in the packet. The building on the left is the Palm Springs Art Museum. Not shown on the packet aerial photo is new street running west to east between Palm Canyon Drive to the front of the museum. The existing parking structure on the right is next to the proposed SC location. Off camera to the right is the new Rowan Hotel at the northwest corner of Palm Canyon and Tahquitz. I am not sure what the plans are for the dirt lot with the large baby sculptures.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Heh, my wife and her friends will be staying at the Hyatt there in 2 weeks. It would be handy for her to charge up near the hotel coming home... now she will probably charge at Cabazon. Free supercharge is going to be quite costly when it is next to a premium outlet mall. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: WalterB
Most of the locals in Palm Springs drive in from far away all the time. Many second homes in the desert.

True. I have had some service done at the service center there. They told me that they are busiest December-April. I am just there one week per year right after Turkey Day to get some CPE.

Moreover, I would hazard a guess that this location will have the 72A urban chargers instead of the classic Supercharger set-up. Urban chargers are for those who do not have easy access to home or workplace charging as well as passersby stopping for a lunch.

Reactions: Dugknight