Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palmdale, CA (LIVE 19 Oct 2020, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what? what? what? is going on?
Just referencing an old 80s Mervyn's ad...
7aee0c1999014eade783addc69e45fe7.gif

Planning to use it in December...
Noob question: are these V3? How can you tell if they don't have a 250kw sign on top?
Good question! These are V3. You don't get much chance to see them in the pictures from this site, since they're mostly hidden either under their shipping covers or behind the brown walls of the equipment enclosure. But they are visible in the photo in post #152. They're the slightly smaller cabinets on the right. The V3 superchargers have a distinctive 4-sided symmetric appearance, with straight sides of equal width and a grille panel at the top of each side. The V2 cabinets look narrower, and are not as symmetric, with a ventilation scoop on one side. After looking at enough construction photos from other sites, you will be able recognize them in their shipping covers and even from the conduit pattern where they will be installed. On the charging pedestals, the cooled V3 cable is thinner. PLUS EV points out that V3 also has a metal ring at the base of the charging handle, but I have trouble spotting that in photos.

Last edited:
Good question! These are V3. You don't get much chance to see them in the pictures from this site, since they're mostly hidden either under their shipping covers or behind the brown walls of the equipment enclosure. But they are visible in the photo in post #152. They're the slightly smaller cabinets on the right. The V3 superchargers have a distinctive 4-sided symmetric appearance, with straight sides of equal width and a grille panel at the top of each side. The V2 cabinets look narrower, and are not as symmetric, with a ventilation scoop on one side. After looking at enough construction photos from other sites, you will be able recognize them in their shipping covers and even from the conduit pattern where they will be installed. On the charging pedestals, the cooled V3 cable is thinner. PLUS EV points out that V3 also has a metal ring at the base of the charging handle, but I have trouble spotting that in photos.
Oops. I did the metal ring bit backwards. It's the thicker V2 cables that have a shiny metal ring. And the V3 cabinets in the pictures from Lacey WA appear to have a rectangular cross-section and a raised hatch on one side...so just go with the ventilation grille all around the top. Or ignore me altogether:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Any evidence that the local electric utility has connected to the Tesla equipment yet? I do not recall ever seeing a local utility's equipment located inside the Tesla equipment enclosure at any SC site, but it's nearby when it's not sitting right next to the enclosure. Is there a new big green utility transformer somewhere nearby? I see what might be a junction box behind yellow bollards across the lot to the northeast, but I can't tell if it's new.
No one has definitively answered or provided proof of whether a utility transformer has been installed. I think we should start there when speculating how long it might be until it’s open.

PXL_20201006_155827069.jpg

Taken this morning. The guys told me the same thing, just waiting on Edison, maybe another month. He said the transformer was installed, don't know if you can see it in the picture or not.

No one has definitively answered or provided proof of whether a utility transformer has been installed. I think we should start there when speculating how long it might be until it’s open.

View attachment 595836

Taken this morning. The guys told me the same thing, just waiting on Edison, maybe another month. He said the transformer was installed, don't know if you can see it in the picture or not.
I don’t see the transformer in the picture but if it’s installed it still could need a few inspections and final work which I guess makes a month out seem about right.

They are awaiting Edison. They said a few days to a few weeks. They are most definitely without a doubt in my mind V3 250 kW Superchargers, and I like that they are at the outer edge of the parking lot as opposed to near the front. This’ll hopefully keep down the number of ICE incidents.

Attachments

• 71806B32-C26C-4D5E-BB6B-2F24BC0BCE34.jpeg
    71806B32-C26C-4D5E-BB6B-2F24BC0BCE34.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 4C569350-F1B3-4804-8DCE-8D4B35E9D046.jpeg
    4C569350-F1B3-4804-8DCE-8D4B35E9D046.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 15ADF989-63F4-42BF-80F8-A7FDE94F0716.jpeg
    15ADF989-63F4-42BF-80F8-A7FDE94F0716.jpeg
    639.5 KB · Views: 58