Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharger parking stall who owns them? How to deal with gas cars using them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are handicapped spaces which come with a heavy fine for violating on private property. Some states allow the request of police NOT to ticket cars in their lot. But I believe most want police presence so that defeats the purpose
So are handicapped spaces which come with a heavy fine for violating on private property. Some states allow the request of police NOT to ticket cars in their lot. But I believe most want police presence so that defeats the purpose

Are you saying that there are cases where cops issue tickets for cars parked on private property? I've never seen than and it sounds very odd from a legal standpoint. Does the property owner get the ticket fee?

Yes. Almost every handicapped parking space is on private property. If you park in one you will get ticketed, in every jurisdiction.

Ok, but outside of the handicap scenario? I imagine that is covered under the ADA and might represent a protected class. In cases such as parking in a reserved spot, parking overnight, situations like that, do police ever get involved.

I don't think EV charging spaces should be treated like handicap spaces. Handicap spaces are required to be put in by law, and charging stations are not. I think landowners should be allowed to set their own rules for charging stations that they choose to put in. And I don't think forcing them to put in charging stations is a good idea, either.

Ideally, Tesla would try to get it put in the terms of the lease that violators will be towed. But that may be hard to negotiate in a fee-free lease, which most of these supercharger leases are. So probably the only solution would be for Tesla to pay for exclusive use the supercharger spaces. I'm not sure they are willing to do that.

I called into the Tesla support centre today as my music app on the screen had frozen or I should say crashed. They walked me through the steps to reboot the computer now everything is fine. I mentioned my frustration of ICE cars parking in the spots and suggested maybe the signage could be improved as not everyone understands what the stalls are for and that The charging cable can only reach so far. They advised me to call in any time I see someone parked in a super charger stall who is not a Tesla and they will make a note of it. Then if they get enough calls they will talk to the owner of the stalls and see how they can fix things.

A simple sign saying Tesla Charging Stall. Why would you invest so much into the charging equipment only to have the stall marked as general parking?

I've seen in other cases, a simple solution like cones at the spots are enough to make it inconvenient enough for an ICE driver to not bother (or at least read the signs before pulling in).

It's less convenient for Tesla owners, but still better than not being able to charge due to ICEing.

Ideally, Tesla would try to get it put in the terms of the lease that violators will be towed. But that may be hard to negotiate in a fee-free lease, which most of these supercharger leases are. So probably the only solution would be for Tesla to pay for exclusive use the supercharger spaces. I'm not sure they are willing to do that.

I think that point is key... There's a limit to what Tesla can expect from the owners of parking lots-- especially when Tesla doesn't pay them rent. See this thread for more discussion of that issue: Supercharger Landlords

I've seen in other cases, a simple solution like cones at the spots are enough to make it inconvenient enough for an ICE driver to not bother (or at least read the signs before pulling in).

It's less convenient for Tesla owners, but still better than not being able to charge due to ICEing.
I saw that in Springfield, Or. They use white valet parking style cones when the spaces are empty and it seemed to keep the spaces reserved for EV charging. I just had to move the cone when I arrived and put it back when I was done. Simple.

I believe it is better to simply have more stalls without onerous ICE restrictions (maybe even more relaxed rules), versus what we have now with tighter regulation. The landlord is almost always a retailer, or leases to retail shops, so they have no vested interest to have "EV" only spots, let alone Tesla only spots.

I really believe if Tesla, for example, said they want to get 36 spots instead of current 8, but the extra 28 will be general parking (that just happens to have a tesla charger cable), most locations would be fine (especially bigger malls).

What Tesla would need is a cost effective way to get more cables, and in my opinion smart shared power. Right assume each SC is wired with its own one high amp circuit. Now, if Tesla can take their smart HPWC load sharing technology and wire say 9 linked superchargers with 2 separate high amp circuits so that 9 spots intelligently pull amps from either cuircit and to share all amps, but never exceed the max current rating of each line. This way, the example above of 8 current SC, can be divided into 4 clusters of 9, for 36 spots. You mark 2 spots in each cluster a Tesla spot, but other 7 no marking. This way, as long as any 2 slots of 9 are free, you are doing great. Of course, Tesla would make the device more flexible, such as allow up to 9 linked SC share 4 circuits, so in actual implementation if they did 8 linked to 4, it is effectively the same as today's paired SC, BUT it's any 4 of 8. Right now, if two ICE by bad luck block one paired SC, then two Tesla must share a paired SC (and have lower amps per car)

Plus, one other advantage is those that top off (over 80% or 90%). With 8 sharing 4 circuits, you can have say 2 ICE blocking, 2 Tesla charged but idling, 2 near max (heavily tapered), 1 charging for awhile and is starting to taper, and then still 1 slot left that is ready to provide max charge rate.

Because that was the agreement with the landlord. Some property owners are not willing to dedicate all the spaces to Tesla's exclusive use.
And in some cases they can't, by law. The San Juan Capistrano supercharger, one of the early (and most abused) ones, was sponsored by Union Bank, and in California they have to have a certain number of generally available parking spaces. So the Supercharger spaces have to be dual use.

In FL it is illegal to park in an EV space and not be charging. On private property it is up to the owner of the property if they wish to enforce the law, they can call the police and have the cars towed or ticketed. I explained this to the security of International Plaza, a mall here in Tampa with EV spots. As for the supercharger the same law would apply and if there is a grant for 30, 60, 90 min etc it makes it that much harder to ticket.

IMG_7507.JPG
This may not be the right place but are you serious with this parking job at the supercharger in Wytheville Virginia?

• Funny
Reactions: jkennebeck
Yeah got that they're from FL and came by so I mentioned backing in and they said a friend was driving who was uncomfortable backing up. Lucky for them this SC is never busy. Poor excuse and total lack of common sense.

Poor excuse. The car has a camera and can park itself! Or at least pull all the way to the end. This is going to be worse when the 3 comes out as most people are terrible at backing in.

Yeah good point I have a 2012 so no AP didn't even think of that. They were a cute group of 4 women (2 blondes so I will give them a pass this time.

Only if you went out to drinks with them ha.

I almost never us the auto-park but the camera is still there. Plus those stalls were empty so even if they just got close when backing in. It makes me constantly worry that people should not be driving SUVs when they can't pull into a space, yes I know back in, with a camera even if it wasn't their car.