Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parsippany, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the size of the fire, the transformer fire could have easily made the things next to it catch fire too. Doesn’t mean that those things had anything to do with said fire.

You could be correct but in this case I dont think so. If that was the case I would think you would see a lot more smoke and flame damage on the top unit. The bottom of the top unit does not appear to have any flame or smoke damage.

Last edited:
If Fire Chief Palmieri says it wasn't a Tesla issue, it wasn't a Tesla issue. His word is good as gold. The Parsippany FD is an amazing volunteer department and I -- quite literally - trust Chief Palmieri and his crew with my family's lives.
Well, there are actually 2 possibilities. 1) The root problem was with the utility transformer and this is what Chief Palmieri meant in his statement. Though, from the pictures, that transformer doesn't seem to have been physically damaged. In which case, while primarily a utility problem, the switchgear that Tesla installed also failed to trip off and protect the downstream hardware. To my mind, that's still clearly a failure of the Tesla side hardware or design as well. 2) The Chief was talking about a failure in the autotransformers (ATs) and is therefore incorrect/mistaken in his statement about the ownership or responsibility for the bit of failed hardware. Easy mistake to make if one just assumes that all the transformers on site are utility owned, but that's not the case. The ATs are definitely on the Tesla side of the metaphorical dividing line.

My personal impression based on the pictures is that this was #2 and the Chief was just wrong about that bit. His statement should be read as saying that the failure wasn't in any of the gear that Tesla builds, i.e. the supercharger cabinets or the charging posts.

Yep it’s back open. I was expecting the repairs to take 6+ months so pleased it’s reopen again so quickly.

I can’t recall who to notify to update supercharge info.

pic from 11/29 at 5p:
2FDC352D-0F99-4473-BA8D-0EB271A61CF8.jpeg

More chargers are incoming at the Wawa in Parsippany -https://www.tapinto.net/towns/parsippany/sections/government/articles/tesla-to-add-additional-charging-stalls-at-parsippany-wawa
Nice find. From that article:

"PARSIPPANY-TROY HILLS, NJ - The town’s Planning Board approved an application to add another eight charging stalls at the Wawa located on New Road for electric vehicles during the Board meeting held on Monday.

Currently, there are eight EV charging stalls at the Wawa, and with the additional eight now being added, there will be 16 stalls."

FYSA @Big Earl @tes-s

Reactions: Acps110 and dmurphy
Hopefully, someone who
Very nice!! Seems the additional 8 stalls will be a combination of Tesla and other L3 chargers.
We'll need eyes on the site to figure out how many of the new stalls are SCs and how many are CCS (or something else).

Great note. The Planning Board member that voted down is a friend and I will reinforce how Tesla is opening the Supercharger network with him.
Can you try to find/watch for the permit? Can you track down the presentation used, if any, by Tesla to the Board? I wonder if we might be looking at a V4 installation that can support CCS?

Another high traffic major NJ highway crossroads location, Woodbridge WaWa, has 8 250kW on north side of parking lot, 8 150kW chargers on south side of lot. I wonder if this will become the highway hub standard going forward.

I was in the area today and an additional 4 Tesla charging stalls have been installed. There were additional stalls (not sure how many) for a different charging network…I guess EVgo. I didn’t manage to snap any pics but the site is still under construction.

Existing 8 stalls remain open.