Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Parsippany, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3D0A98CC-4753-4783-B963-7DF7E3740DC9.jpeg

That's as of 9am today...

Stopped at the Wawa this morning and saw they finally put a sign on that last sign post... but it’s contradictory. The space isn’t painted blue nor does it have the extra blue-lined space the “van accessible” spots need, and that would take up 2 or 3 supercharging stalls. It’s also strange as the superchargers are about as far away from the building as you can get - not ideal for a handicapped spot at all.

I have no clue what they’re doing. It says ONLY Tesla charging, but could a cop give you a ticket because of the other sign?

Attachments

• 62CC0432-3AD5-464D-BC97-F39CCEF78F42.jpeg
    62CC0432-3AD5-464D-BC97-F39CCEF78F42.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 81
This is not unheard of, there is a thread here about it. Note that the sign doesn't say handicap parking only. I'd probably avoid using that space if at all possible, but if I had no choice I'd charge there by stay with the vehicle.

Stopped at the Wawa this morning and saw they finally put a sign on that last sign post... but it’s contradictory. The space isn’t painted blue nor does it have the extra blue-lined space the “van accessible” spots need, and that would take up 2 or 3 supercharging stalls. It’s also strange as the superchargers are about as far away from the building as you can get - not ideal for a handicapped spot at all.

I have no clue what they’re doing. It says ONLY Tesla charging, but could a cop give you a ticket because of the other sign?
The need for disabled accessible EV Charging Stations (EVCS) is required by current interpretation of federal law (Americans with Disabilities Act). Exactly how to go about meeting that requirement though can be different in different states. I'm not familiar with the NJ rules, only the CA ones. But as CA was the first to establish and certify their rules for this, many states are essentially adopting them whole cloth and just making minor modifications to match their marking systems, etc. But for CA, the rules are that the stall needs to have the ISA (blue/white wheelchair symbol) post sign at the head of the stall but the ground markings should say "EV Charging Only". If the ground markings were also the ISA then it would be a disabled access parking space. An EVCS isn't a parking stall and they are treated differently under the law. So, in CA, someone without disabled placards/plates who was charging in that stall would be liable to getting a ticket. But also, someone who did have placards/plates, but wasn't using the stall to charge would likewise be liable to getting a ticket. Again, it's not a parking stall. Basically, it is a stall that is set aside for Tesla owners with disabled placards/plates to charge at.

As for the location being far from the building, the requirement is only that the accessible EVCS be on an accessible route to the entrance, not that it is on the shortest accessible route like for an accessible parking stall.

More discussion in this thread: Supercharger Handicap Space

And specifically, for a presentation laying out the rationale and specifics on how to meet the requirements of the CA rules, this post

Last edited: