Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - East Glenarm Street (LIVE 21 Oct 2021, 20 V3, 7 DCFC, 20 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a copy of the Powerpoint presented at the meeting. The space and equipment location text is now legible. The 6 spaces are definitely labeled "Tesla Cyber Truck". The two larger spaces in the upper right almost certainly are going to be handicapped spaces, but aren't labeled as such. They both say "EV Charging Only" which is interesting in that I would have thought that all the spaces in that portion of the lot would by default be restricted to EV only. Keep in mind this is just a Powerpoint describing the layout, so the actual parking rules may well be EV only for all spaces. The space in the far upper right is a shared DCFC and V3 spot. Anyone happen to know if there is any other parking space that has two EVSE in place? Obviously European Superchargers have multiple cables fed from a single EVSE, but here we will have two. Bonus points for whomever is the first to post a picture of charging in that space! :D

Better Lot Layout.jpg

I received a copy of the Powerpoint presented at the meeting. The space and equipment location text is now legible. The 6 spaces are definitely labeled "Tesla Cyber Truck". The two larger spaces in the upper right almost certainly are going to be handicapped spaces, but aren't labeled as such. They both say "EV Charging Only" which is interesting in that I would have thought that all the spaces in that portion of the lot would by default be restricted to EV only. Keep in mind this is just a Powerpoint describing the layout, so the actual parking rules may well be EV only for all spaces. The space in the far upper right is a shared DCFC and V3 spot. Anyone happen to know if there is any other parking space that has two EVSE in place? Obviously European Superchargers have multiple cables fed from a single EVSE, but here we will have two. Bonus points for whomever is the first to post a picture of charging in that space! :D

View attachment 594060
The "EV Charging Only" is a ground marking that will be physically painted in those stalls, not an informational notation on the plans describing their purpose. That specific ground marking is part of the requirements for a disabled accessible EVCS stall as laid out by the CA building rules.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
As millions of thread followers were hoping, the Tesla agreement is now on the City Council agenda for this coming Monday:

http://ww2.cityofpasadena.net/councilagendas/2020 Agendas/Oct_19_20/AR 24.pdf

The 5 page document doesn't provide a lot of new information with one exception. The Municipal Services committee asked the DOT to look into the "issue" of the only ingress/egress being by vehicles traveling Eastbound on Glenarm St. Several options suggested during the last meeting concerned the possibility of median modification on Glenarm to allow Westbound traffic to also enter the lot. Another possibility mentioned was allowing U-turns at the Glenarm/Raymond intersection to allow a quick West to East turnaround. It appears that neither of these options were viable, likely due to the light rail tracks directly to the West of the lot, and the signal prioritization of the two intersections in question. Here is the description of the signage that will be created:

Site Access.jpg

The last part about northbound 110 guidance is interesting. It means that there will be one or more signs on the 110 approaching Fair Oaks that they should exit on Fair Oaks to get to the Supercharger. This route is a very simple and direct route, with little traffic and only three stop lights on the way there, with primary traffic flow being toward the charging station:

Fair Oaks Route.jpg

Traffic tends to back up significantly at the Fair Oaks exit already, with the right lane of the freeway typically stopped for several hundred feet prior to the short off ramp. A separate project is underway to modify the Fair Oaks off ramp to be 4 lanes instead of only 2, as shown below:

Fair Oaks Exit.jpg

Recent coverage of the bureaucratic rabbit hole that is the above mentioned project can be found at the link below, for those with strong stomachs. For those not familiar with the workings of the South Pasadena government, any serious changes to the "character" of the city (e.g. any construction other than sidewalk repair) are on timelines that are measured with geologic time scales. The intersection in question is original from the 1930's, as the ostrich rider in the link depicts the primary transportation mode of the time:

110 Hookramp Development | Alternative Option Considered as City Awaits Metro 710 Funds | The South Pasadenan | South Pasadena News

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm very excited for this to open! It's becoming very cumbersome to pay $3 each time I supercharge at the Marengo location.

I wonder how this location would affect the Marengo location. I would imagine most people would just drive down the street to this new one because the V3 speed and I'd assume wouldn't require $3 parking fee.

Reactions: gaswalla
Wow, some very interesting developments at the City Council meeting last night during the debate about the site. Nothing much different from what was presented at the Municipal Services meeting at the start. They did show a projected route for Westbound vehicles on Glenarm that went all the way North on Fair Oaks, East on California, then South down Raymond to then turn left on Glenarm to get to the lot. Oh well, it is what it is.

The discussion then turned to additional EV infrastructure in other parts of the City. The PWP Assistant Manager (Marvin Moon) confirmed that they are planning on installing the following:

Victory Park: 20 L2, 2 DCFC (city owned)
Robinson Park: 20 L2, 4 DCFC (city owned)

He then mentioned that the City is actively negotiating with Tesla for a third Supercharger location in Pasadena. When pressed on the location, and whether it was Victory Park or not, he wouldn't directly answer WRT the location being negotiated. This leads me to think that it could be in Victory Park.

Discussion of what the City charges for their EVSE power. Free in some cases, higher rates when a site becomes more crowded. No dynamic price changes at the moment (e.g. stable for months).

Marengo facility has $1,000,000 revenue per year, estimate of post-covid revenue. They anticipate that the Arroyo location will exceed this due to the 250kW EVSE in place.

City Council votes 7-0 to approve the agreement and construct the facility.

Meeting video and audio can be found here, Arroyo specific discussion starts at 2:04:00:

Council Meetings Audio & Video Archives - Office of the City Clerk

RT

Victory Park.jpg

This location in Victory Park seems like a good place for 70kW Urban chargers. The nearby Farmers Market is an ideal match WRT time spent and charge received. The L2 at the site work well with people who will be there a couple hours. The 70kW Urban charger also fits nicely in with people looking to charge while having a picnic or use the park for 30-60 minutes. Should end up being a very well utilized location when it happens, Supercharger or not.

Last edited:
Has some construction already started? I noticed some new fences up. I will try to get a closer look soon. Maybe it’s just improvements necessary before the Tesla work.

Unfortunately @BM3B , what you saw was just Caltrans equipment staged at the end of the 110 freeway to have available for deployment when doing freeway construction. I just finished a drive around of the lot and saw no signs of any Supercharger construction activity. Eyes still peeled and focused on the prize.

RT

Unfortunately @BM3B , what you saw was just Caltrans equipment staged at the end of the 110 freeway to have available for deployment when doing freeway construction. I just finished a drive around of the lot and saw no signs of any Supercharger construction activity. Eyes still peeled and focused on the prize.

RT
I’m gonna be in the area later today, might go see if I can find anything.

Wow, some very interesting developments at the City Council meeting last night during the debate about the site. Nothing much different from what was presented at the Municipal Services meeting at the start. They did show a projected route for Westbound vehicles on Glenarm that went all the way North on Fair Oaks, East on California, then South down Raymond to then turn left on Glenarm to get to the lot. Oh well, it is what it is.

The discussion then turned to additional EV infrastructure in other parts of the City. The PWP Assistant Manager (Marvin Moon) confirmed that they are planning on installing the following:

Victory Park: 20 L2, 2 DCFC (city owned)
Robinson Park: 20 L2, 4 DCFC (city owned)

He then mentioned that the City is actively negotiating with Tesla for a third Supercharger location in Pasadena. When pressed on the location, and whether it was Victory Park or not, he wouldn't directly answer WRT the location being negotiated. This leads me to think that it could be in Victory Park.

Discussion of what the City charges for their EVSE power. Free in some cases, higher rates when a site becomes more crowded. No dynamic price changes at the moment (e.g. stable for months).

Marengo facility has $1,000,000 revenue per year, estimate of post-covid revenue. They anticipate that the Arroyo location will exceed this due to the 250kW EVSE in place.

City Council votes 7-0 to approve the agreement and construct the facility.

Meeting video and audio can be found here, Arroyo specific discussion starts at 2:04:00:

Council Meetings Audio & Video Archives - Office of the City Clerk

RT

View attachment 600414

This location in Victory Park seems like a good place for 70kW Urban chargers. The nearby Farmers Market is an ideal match WRT time spent and charge received. The L2 at the site work well with people who will be there a couple hours. The 70kW Urban charger also fits nicely in with people looking to charge while having a picnic or use the park for 30-60 minutes. Should end up being a very well utilized location when it happens, Supercharger or not.

At the March 22nd City Council meeting, a couple of the items I mentioned above will be voted on:
Pasadena 03-22-21 Meeting Agenda

They will be installing 2 DCFCs and 23 L2 chargers at Victory Park
They will be installing 5 DCFCs and 20 L2 chargers at Robinson Park

No mention of any Tesla Superchargers at Victory Park, so maybe the negotiations that I alluded to in the prior post may be ongoing, or not, who knows.

Anyone living in the area and interested should probably check Plugshare to see when they go live.

And another item on the docket shows that Powerflex (Caltech and JPL installations) will be installing 2 additional DCFCs in the Del Mar parking garage, along with 37 L2 chargers. The two DCFCs need to be installed and operating by June 4th per the SCIP award terms. There was a single Green Lots DCFC there for a long while now. I charged my Kia Soul there several times.

Powerflex rates are much cheaper than home charging, so I would expect to see some good utilization of these L2's once they go in.

Heading there shortly to check status. This article maybe sheds some light on what may be going on:

coloradoboulevard.net: Pasadena Ignores State Law Easing EV Charger Installations.

Construction is starting. “Pasadena Water and Power is installing six fast chargers and Tesla is installing 20, and they’re using their new powerful chargers, which are 250 kW instead of 72 kW, like Marengo. And we’re installing four of the six chargers that are 175 kW instead of 50 kW."

Dated today:

Construction was slated to begin Monday on a new electric vehicle fast charging station along the 110 Freeway in Pasadena, which is to include 26 chargers in a partnership between the city and Tesla.​
The Arroyo Parkway Charging Depot station at the southwest corner of East Glenarm Street and the 110 Freeway is scheduled for completion in September, according to Pasadena Water and Power Assistant General Manager of Power Delivery Martin Moon. The station will feature 20 of Tesla’s latest generation of powerful chargers, along with six additional fast chargers.​
Also links here: