Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - East Glenarm Street (LIVE 21 Oct 2021, 20 V3, 7 DCFC, 20 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
Pasadena is about to get its second very large charging plaza, courtesy of the City and Tesla working together again. This is in a currently underutilized City owned lot by the power plant on the Southwest corner of Glenarm St. and Arroyo Parkway. For those not familiar with the area, this is the corner where the 110 North Freeway ends in Pasadena at Glenarm St:

index.php

The current lot entry point that will have to be used is off Glenarm St. You have to be driving East on Glenarm to turn into the lot. When you exit the lot you will also be going East on Glenarm. Given the freeway to the East and the raised median on Glenarm for the train, I don't think this layout is going to change.

index.php

There are several businesses on the nearby corner of Marengo and Glenarm, but with the freeway terminating right there this is a pretty dangerous street to be crossing. If you venture up Arroyo Parkway a few blocks there is everything you could want. Just West down Glenarm there is a liquor store with attached takeout food service, and then North up Fair Oaks is a BBQ place. All within 5 minute walking distance.

Full 5 page agenda report can be found here:
https://www.cityofpasadena.net/comm...Services-Committee-Agenda.pdf?v=1600430926918

And also below in the thumbnails:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Those familiar with my documenting of the construction of the other Pasadena Supercharger will know that this page will soon be filled with daily photos :)

RT

Attachments

• Glenarm 0.jpg
    Glenarm 0.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Glenarm 1.jpg
    Glenarm 1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,509
  • Glenarm 2.jpg
    Glenarm 2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Agmt 1.jpg
    Agmt 1.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Agmt 2.jpg
    Agmt 2.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Agmt 3.jpg
    Agmt 3.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Agmt 4.jpg
    Agmt 4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • Agmt 5.jpg
    Agmt 5.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,389
Last edited by a moderator:
Solid find @RubberToe! Glad to see that there will not be any parking fees at this site. Also, I don't see anything indicating that these will be urban stations. Says 20 superchargers - I'm hoping this will be a V3 site given its proximity to the 110 freeway but I imagine it is anyone's guess until permits are revealed. Also, there is mention of "concrete island removal" but I imagine this is in relation to an existing island inside the parking lot as opposed to the island on Glenarm Street.

Solid find @RubberToe! Glad to see that there will not be any parking fees at this site. Also, I don't see anything indicating that these will be urban stations. Says 20 superchargers - I'm hoping this will be a V3 site given its proximity to the 110 freeway but I imagine it is anyone's guess until permits are revealed. Also, there is mention of "concrete island removal" but I imagine this is in relation to an existing island inside the parking lot as opposed to the island on Glenarm Street.

My contact in PWP said there will be much more information available in the meeting on Tuesday. Not sure if they live stream the meetings, but from the below it looks like at a minimum they make the video and audio available at some point:

Municipal Services Committee - City of Pasadena Commissions

When I went to the meeting where they discussed the Marengo Charging Plaza they had PowerPoint slides showing the site layout. I suspect that the same will be true here too. Keeping my fingers crossed for the first deployment of the large Tesla Obelisk on the site...

Note this meeting is the same day as Tesla's battery day presentation. I might have to break out the "good stuff" to celebrate the occasion. :D

RT

Initial scouting report shows that there are currently a total of 112 parking spaces in that entire lot that are accessible. The SW corner is fenced off as there is access to cross the light rail tracks to enter the power plant. Not clear whether that is even done anymore, but the same fenced off area also accesses areas of the plant on the East side of the tracks. I'm assuming that fence remains in place. One of the pictures below shows that the lot currently is for PWP construction parking only.

It will be interesting to see what portion of the lot is used for the EV chargers. With so much space available, and no other required use, I would hope that the currently small parking spaces are made bigger than even normal parking spaces. Unless there is some reason to pack cars like sardines with the ensuing door dings and whatever else that close quarters bring, make the spaces bigger. Everyone is buying Cybertruck sized vehicles these days anyway, so there is that to consider.

The site has very good drainage. For some reason the lights were on in the middle of the day. The picture of the NE corner where the obelisk will go shows a parking space with two manhole covers that have "electric" stamped on them. Could be this is where the main power comes in.

IMG_20200918_133642.jpg IMG_20200918_133802.jpg IMG_20200918_133820.jpg IMG_20200918_133921.jpg IMG_20200918_133451.jpg IMG_20200918_133455.jpg

P.S. About once a year that 76 gas station caddy corner from the Supercharger has someone exiting the North 110 freeway a bit too fast resulting in the corner sign being lost, and often gas pumps too. The Supercharger location on the freeway entrance side precludes this kind of silliness.

Photo grabs from the council meeting followed by notes:

arroyo lot 1.jpg

Here are the site layout renderings:

arroyo lot 3-2.jpg arroyo lot 2-1.jpg arroyo lot 3-1.jpg arroyo lot 2-2.jpg

Per the SCIP funding received, project must be completed by June 2, 2021.
There will be 6 spaces that will be larger than the others to allow for Cybertruck charging, not clear on the Powerpoint which those are.
Much discussion of whether Westbound traffic on Glenarm will be able to either U-Turn at Raymond or whether the median on Glenarm can be modified to allow lot entry. The council asked then planners to work with DOT on that and report back.
The City DCFCs will be 50kW initially, but the electrical infrastructure will support 175kW chargers later. A statement was made that the 175kW chargers were not yet readily available.
One of the council members (Andy Wilson) stated that he will be getting a Tesla!
At the Marengo charging plaza, Tesla's chargers attract much more users than the city DCFCs.
Marengo cumulative power sales revenue to the city is about $1m per year, this lot should be about the same.
There is no minimum power usage requirement that Tesla needs to commit to. The presenter literally laughed out loud when asked about this because of the high level of usage at the Marengo plaza. The questioner was just making sure that the city wasn't giving away public parking space access with no guaranteed return.
The committee voted 4-0 to move the agreement to the entire city council.

RT

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Chuq and PStewart
Great find @RubberToe thank you! Wow, I am super excited for a V3 SCer in Pasadena with Cybertruck parking! I wonder how much wider and deeper the stalls with be for CT, they may leave enough space to charge with a trailer attached.
Any guesses on go-live date? Thanksgiving just like our 1st last year on Marengo?

And will this be one of the first (if not the first) CT-capable charger? I imagine Texas will be first, I can do some digging.

Great find @RubberToe thank you! Wow, I am super excited for a V3 SCer in Pasadena with Cybertruck parking! I wonder how much wider and deeper the stalls with be for CT, they may leave enough space to charge with a trailer attached.
Any guesses on go-live date? Thanksgiving just like our 1st last year on Marengo?

And will this be one of the first (if not the first) CT-capable charger? I imagine Texas will be first, I can do some digging.

No later than June 2nd of 2021 to meet the required completion date for the SCIP grant. Given how slow things move I would think that's a pretty good opening day estimate. Hoping for much sooner obviously.

RT

Couple things, am I just missing the 20th supercharger stall? There are 6 cybertruck plus 4 regular adjacent then below that is a line of 9. Where is the last stall? Maybe down below the EV Depot line as there are only 11 L2 visible in that section but 20 are mentioned. Also, are we sure these are V3 and not urban? If so can we change thread title to reflect the V3 notation on the image? I doubt they’d designate Urban stalls for Cybertruck.

Couple things, am I just missing the 20th supercharger stall? There are 6 cybertruck plus 4 regular adjacent then below that is a line of 9. Where is the last stall? Maybe down below the EV Depot line as there are only 11 L2 visible in that section but 20 are mentioned. Also, are we sure these are V3 and not urban? If so can we change thread title to reflect the V3 notation on the image? I doubt they’d designate Urban stalls for Cybertruck.
I’m surprised you’re the first person to notice that, but the answer lies in one of Rubbertoe’s photos: a shared stall between; DCFC and Supercharger
CAE5548D-5A15-482D-A277-20DB8C550556.png

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart