Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - East Glenarm Street (LIVE 21 Oct 2021, 20 V3, 7 DCFC, 20 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha ha, well this went about as well as I expected it would. The 150kW Tritium chargers require a Greenlots account, which I had! I first needed to download the app to my phone cause I haven't used it since I got the phone. The Google cloud apparently didn't remember my password so I had to go the "forgot password" route. I create the suggested Google strong password. Go back to the Greenlots app and Google doesn't seem to want to cough up the new password it just created. Hmm. So I go back to the forgot password link and see that Google allows me to cut and paste the new password, which I do. Back to the Greenlots app and get logged it. Yay!

Instructions on the charger say to scan the QR code or submit the station ID. Feeling frisky with confidence now, I choose the scan button and point the phone at the code on the station. Nothing seems to be happening, even after moving the phone around and adjusting focus, etc. Sometimes the phone pops up a link to hit, nothing like that either. Somewhat less friskily I decide to just fat finger in the station ID and hit enter. Bingo, I get to the next phone screen!

Good news, bad news, and the worst news of all awaits me there. The juice looks to be free, which is the good news. The Chademo (and CCS) connectors are only apparently running at 50kW, which is disappointing as I was hoping to see how fast the Hamster mobile could charge compared to the simpler Veefil unit. On well, might as well keep going since I'm already here and fully jacked up on Starbucks. BTW, that Chademo cable is one heck of a beast to wrestle with, let alone plug into the car. I fearlessly hit the start charge button on the app and am greeted with the "charger is in an unknown state" message! :p

So given that there are no instructions on the unit concerning how to put it into a "known state", and not seeing any Russian hackers lurking nearby, I decide to come back later and try my luck at one of the other 3 Tritium chargers. By this time a large group of Tesla drivers were milling about taking video of my struggles and all snickering (I may have imagined this part...), but I was able to reach my humiliation threshold earlier in the morning than usual, so I did get that out of the way.

Lesson learned for the 4,763rd time: Don't ever try fast charging any car other than a Tesla. The day Tesla opened up the first Supercharge 7 years ago you never needed to do anything but plug it in and you were off to the races. Hence the Wild $T1mes!

Screenshot_20211107-064414.png

Ha ha, well this went about as well as I expected it would. The 150kW Tritium chargers require a Greenlots account, which I had! I first needed to download the app to my phone cause I haven't used it since I got the phone. The Google cloud apparently didn't remember my password so I had to go the "forgot password" route. I create the suggested Google strong password. Go back to the Greenlots app and Google doesn't seem to want to cough up the new password it just created. Hmm. So I go back to the forgot password link and see that Google allows me to cut and paste the new password, which I do. Back to the Greenlots app and get logged it. Yay!

Instructions on the charger say to scan the QR code or submit the station ID. Feeling frisky with confidence now, I choose the scan button and point the phone at the code on the station. Nothing seems to be happening, even after moving the phone around and adjusting focus, etc. Sometimes the phone pops up a link to hit, nothing like that either. Somewhat less friskily I decide to just fat finger in the station ID and hit enter. Bingo, I get to the next phone screen!

Good news, bad news, and the worst news of all awaits me there. The juice looks to be free, which is the good news. The Chademo (and CCS) connectors are only apparently running at 50kW, which is disappointing as I was hoping to see how fast the Hamster mobile could charge compared to the simpler Veefil unit. On well, might as well keep going since I'm already here and fully jacked up on Starbucks. BTW, that Chademo cable is one heck of a beast to wrestle with, let alone plug into the car. I fearlessly hit the start charge button on the app and am greeted with the "charger is in an unknown state" message! :p

So given that there are no instructions on the unit concerning how to put it into a "known state", and not seeing any Russian hackers lurking nearby, I decide to come back later and try my luck at one of the other 3 Tritium chargers. By this time a large group of Tesla drivers were milling about taking video of my struggles and all snickering (I may have imagined this part...), but I was able to reach my humiliation threshold earlier in the morning than usual, so I did get that out of the way.

Lesson learned for the 4,763rd time: Don't ever try fast charging any car other than a Tesla. The day Tesla opened up the first Supercharge 7 years ago you never needed to do anything but plug it in and you were off to the races. Hence the Wild $T1mes!

View attachment 730336
You just gave the best reason to purchase a Tesla.

View attachment 730336

Last follow-up on the City chargers so as not to veer off topic. The 150kW charger gave me 40 miles in 10 minutes, for a mile every 15 seconds compared to the Veefil giving a mile every 20 seconds. Showing 360v and 175 amps for 64kW total power being delivered. Almost as good as a Tesla Urban Supercharger!

RT

Reactions: miimura
Anyone else notice what a failure the center row supercharger location is? For one thing, it’s offset so far that you have to park centered over two spaces to reach. But between that spot and the barricade fence there’s a spot that people back into and then use the supercharger meant for the row behind them, causing people to think it’s free and park there only to realize the person behind them is plugged in to their charger. For a new and approved charging station it is a bit odd… two spots without chargers and a third spot that cannot reach the only charger.

Anyone else notice what a failure the center row supercharger location is? For one thing, it’s offset so far that you have to park centered over two spaces to reach. But between that spot and the barricade fence there’s a spot that people back into and then use the supercharger meant for the row behind them, causing people to think it’s free and park there only to realize the person behind them is plugged in to their charger. For a new and approved charging station it is a bit odd… two spots without chargers and a third spot that cannot reach the only charger.
I did noticed the one lone charger and wonder why the person was parked in between the two spots. After the she pulled out I realized the placement of the supercharger or the parking spaces is placed incorrectly.

Free charging is only on the DCFC/CHAdeMO stations - *note* I was charging there a few days ago and someone with a Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor tried to charge his M3 with one of the 150kW Tritium chargers and couldn't get it to handshake. YMMV
Of note, the Pasadena location on Green street still has free charging for the CHAdeMO/CCS users on the Tritium units. Just used them last week. Parking fees still apply unless you grab a validation (90 min free IIRC). There are about 20 of those chargers there and I have never seen them more than half full on a busy day. No idle fees either although that could change in the future.

Reactions: E90SLAM
Free charging is only on the DCFC/CHAdeMO stations - *note* I was charging there a few days ago and someone with a Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor tried to charge his M3 with one of the 150kW Tritium chargers and couldn't get it to handshake. YMMV
There is no benefit to using the 150kW Tritium chargers there. The Tesla adapter compatibility with the 50kW Tritium chargers is well established and the adapter capability is matched to the station output capability.

only DCFC, Tesla Chargers arn't not. Making my Chademo adaptor more worthwile.

Yep, that's my first BMW owned, and its the username used on E90POST/Bimmerpost forums. I might as well keep the same username so I don't have to remember different ones. :p
Any suggestions on where to get a Chademo adaptor than the typical $5-600 asking price? Might be a good thing to have for a road trip.

Any suggestions on where to get a Chademo adaptor than the typical $5-600 asking price? Might be a good thing to have for a road trip.
I'm pretty sure that Tesla stopped selling it because the CCS adapter is "coming soon". I would wait for that. There are very few sites that have CHAdeMO that don't have CCS in North America. There are now many more CCS plugs in the wild than CHAdeMO.

Reactions: Motion122