Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - East Glenarm Street (LIVE 21 Oct 2021, 20 V3, 7 DCFC, 20 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 6 DCFCs, the 4 Tritium and the two 50kW Veefil units co-located with Tesla Superchargers. The L2 chargers never showed up. And yes, the lot is large enough to certainly add more chargers of any variety.

I think the City learned one lesson after the Marengo charging plaza was built. They put in 20 of the 50kW Veefil units that are very, very underutilized, even though the electricity is still free there. The Superchargers in that Marengo plaza are a big hit. The Tritium chargers at Glenarm were no doubt designed or envisioned as "next gen" chargers that could provide higher power, so they installed 4, and only two Veefil. The next lesson learned was that the provider they initially selected apparently had little desire to maintain the chargers, which were often inoperable. Having 4 operable 150kW Tritium DCFCs would make a lot of people happy. All they are doing now, when inoperative, is steering EV drivers to buy Teslas.

I stopped by the Marengo site this morning to get Starbucks. I have a bunch of Stars, so my coffee is free, and they validate for parking, so I only pay for the Supercharger cost. I noticed a Taycan and Mache both using the free Veefil chargers when I left. Anyone owning an EV with CCS/Chademo and having any reason to hit that mall for any duration of time has an ideal use case for jumping on the free charging available, especially with the free parking. I would imagine going forward that more people will start figuring this out. If you don't have residential or work charging, and have a short commute, you can hit the Yard House for dinner one night a week and get free gas that could last the whole week.

RT
Yep! My wife had an i3 when Paseo rooftop chargers opened, now she drives a Bolt. They both have peak 50kw charge speed, so that rooftop has been utilized by us both probably in excess of 50 times. However, it’s very slow for L3 charging, but then again, bc this is a shopping and dining destination, and I guess apply Equinox as well, they opted for Tesla City chargers (72kw). That way you have something like 60-90 minutes to charge… too long to stay in the car with all that shopping calling your name (and/or validation). The restaurants we’ve tried have been decent, and the H&M store is very large but all one floor, so the family all goes in together, gets lost shopping, and our apps eventually say charging will be complete soon.

I wish we could swap glenarm’s number of chargers for Paseo’s, but keep the V3 L3.

Two Bolt EV cars in line, waiting for two Tesla’s using (non-free) Tesla Superchargers to charge up. 3 open spots in the row I’m in, more behind us. The only penance? The cow in the black car is scarfing ice cream at 7:40am. Karma takes too long. Ignorance is plentiful in the lower tier of Tesla ownership demo.

Attachments

• 1E605F0A-8922-452B-9F5D-72A99D3578B1.jpeg
    1E605F0A-8922-452B-9F5D-72A99D3578B1.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 141
Two Bolt EV cars in line, waiting for two Tesla’s using (non-free) Tesla Superchargers to charge up. 3 open spots in the row I’m in, more behind us. The only penance? The cow in the black car is scarfing ice cream at 7:40am. Karma takes too long. Ignorance is plentiful in the lower tier of Tesla ownership demo.
was the place full when they got there? maybe only chargers available at the time

Took a bike ride here this morning. I circled the lot a couple times. When I headed out every Supercharger was in use. Two of the other ones had cars charging, non Tesla's. The 4 Tritium chargers all were green so maybe working.

RT
how come the SC is so busy these days? I remember a couple months ago it would barely be half full, is the answer just more teslas on the road?

So dark? It's in the middle of town with lights all over. Surely there's enough sky glow to read a book outside at night, let alone navigate a lit parking lot in a car with headlights.

Streetview has revealed interesting things:
  1. The parking lot lights are on during the day
  2. Non-Teslas also use the ADA/handicap charging stalls even when the regular CCS/CHAdeMO stations are vacant. Bad form all around. :( @BostonBurley

Pasadena streetview wide.png

Last edited:
So dark? It's in the middle of town with lights all over. Surely there's enough sky glow to read a book outside at night, let alone navigate a lit parking lot in a car with headlights.

Streetview has revealed interesting things:
  1. The parking lot lights are on during the day
  2. Non-Teslas also use the ADA charging stalls even when the regular CCS/CHAdeMO stations are vacant. Maybe they're broken. 🤷‍♂️ @BostonBurley

View attachment 843750
Handicapped spaces. Idiots. In teslas.
52932573-66FD-4B9B-9A53-E68939894754.jpeg

Reactions: BigDaddyKevin
how come the SC is so busy these days? I remember a couple months ago it would barely be half full, is the answer just more teslas on the road?
You should’ve seen it before the Model 3 great equalizer came out. No one pissing on stalls. No one smoking blunts in the car while they charge. It’s sad, but it’s true. Lower the demographic, lower the standards.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dave EV
My point being that the unaware and/or unconcerned aren't just in Teslas.

While the signage is obvious to you and me, it would probably be helpful if the lot owner painted those spaces blue - that would better address those who are unaware.
That’s an expensive solution lol
I agree that charge stations should have DOT clearance requirements beyond the ADA requirement for handicapped parking spaces. Until it’s enforced and the idiots are ticketed, it will continue.
People hitting their curbs at night are careless drivers. We have the highest population of careless drivers in America, centered in SGV.

• Funny
Reactions: BigDaddyKevin