Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But wait, there's more...

I'm not making this up. Possibly two more Supercharging sites in Pasadena :D

Marengo%202_zpsj99twino.jpg
Shoppers Lane would be a good place for superchargers. Lots of fast casual dining that would be ideal places to eat while charging.

• Informative
Reactions: ksoon
Here is what has transpired so for:

155egreen_zps8sqe3nqz.jpg

New updates since July 8th:

Pasadena permit rechecks.JPG

Looks like as of this past Monday all the subsections have now given approval and Final Reviews were approved, so it's likely that the building permit entire will be approved and hopefully issued soon (the online portal is still showing its status as "Received" only).

New updates since July 8th:

Looks like as of this past Monday all the subsections have now given approval and Final Reviews were approved, so it's likely that the building permit entire will be approved and hopefully issued soon (the online portal is still showing its status as "Received" only).
EDIT: I just realized that there may need to be a "Final Review" approval from each subsection, not just the 3 listed as having approved it so far. So, accounting for the sections that gave automatic approvals because "No review required", that would mean 3 more that need to give their final sign-off: building, zoning, transportation. Still hopefully shouldn't take long.

EDIT: I just realized that there may need to be a "Final Review" approval from each subsection, not just the 3 listed as having approved it so far. So, accounting for the sections that gave automatic approvals because "No review required", that would mean 3 more that need to give their final sign-off: building, zoning, transportation. Still hopefully shouldn't take long.

Any word on possible ETA?

Any word on possible ETA?
The online permitting portal is now showing that the permit has been approved (but not yet issued). So, that's progress. But, there's no ETA on when actual construction might start. It could happen within the next month or Tesla and/or the City could decide to hold off on construction start for another 6+ months, etc. You never know with projects like these. Based on how quickly things have seemed to progress so far, it looks like it's been all green lights up to now. So I would expect them to keep on moving forward expeditiously. Keep an eye on the property over the next few months.

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
I don’t wish to be tagged as a whiner about something I’m getting nominally for free, however…

I have personally found the “free but prevailing rates” type lots less than useful. I usually end up going to Burbank over Glendale even though the latter is closer, and it’s not just because Burbank is 150kw vs the 72. Americana gives you only an hour of free parking, which is fine if there’s no wait and the charging is as fast as it can be, etc. But if you have to wait, then give up your slot again to drive out and renew your “free” parking, i’d Rather just drive further and wait possibly longer. This will be even harder to void parking charges. The waiting time will still apply. You may or may not have some place you actually want to go (and don’t forget the potential charge if you overstay, so it can’t be a place you need to camp out at for a while, like a movie). In this case what if you want to avoid the rush and come off-hours? What (if any) validation selection will you have at 3am?

No permit has been issued for the work on the site yet, but there is construction taking place right at that corner. I'm wondering if this isn't the city doing preliminary work prior to the site construction to bring the power directly to the site. Not sure if the city requires permits for work that they contract out. Anyway, this first picture is on the Southeast corner of the site. The dirt area on the left is where the ground level related construction will be taking place...

IMG_20190820_175901_zpsyw3natch.jpg

I really should have peeked under that black material. Maybe I'll stop by again tomorrow and accidentally trip over it ;)

Looking at the street from here, something was run from the middle of the street to this location. I didn't get a picture yesterday, but it was covered with temporary asphalt, while by today it was already finished with a concrete pour. Maybe the power is coming from a larger feed that runs directly under the center of the street. Any civil engineers out there care to speculate...

IMG_20190820_175909_zps7ay39wgm.jpg

The backhoe is still sitting on the Southwest corner, so maybe there is additional work planned and coming soon...

IMG_20190820_175804_zpsya7uezxe.jpg

I'll check and see if I can find any kinds of permits related to this activity.

RT

Well, no permit found for the current construction, but I did come across this new site permit:

dcfc_zps7vtlgn2k.jpg

This is for the 20 non-Tesla DCFCs going into the same garage. This is earlier in the approval process since the status is "received". The Tesla permit status is "approved". When it changes to "issued" is I believe when construction can start.

RT

Reactions: Limited and mociaf9
Here you go. Better lighting shows that the red markings are designating what foliage and trees will be removed from the corner where the electrical equipment will be going. The largest tree closest to the corner has a big red X on it, can't believe I missed that in the picture set. The work here supports both the 24 Tesla Superchargers and the 20 DCFCs being installed by the City.

Someone help me connect the dots here...

This is 100% obviously the site where the transformer and electrical equipment that feeds the upper garage floor will be going per the prior planning documents. Permits approval notwithstanding, if a crew were to come in and start clearing out the foliage to clear the site, that constitutes construction start. So if I happened to show up with some hedge trimmers and took a picture of some nicely cut back vegetation (note that it doesn't state exactly who is supposed to do the "removal"), then the construction will have essentially started. Mods could then correct the thread title from the current "Approved by city council" to "construction started", right? Any lawyers care to try and punch some holes in that logic? :D

RT

IMG_20190830_071106_zpsheygkmb3.jpg

IMG_20190830_071133_zps3hgdjl2a.jpg

Ok, I pulled my home boys together to Git er done. Here they are bright and early working on the low hanging fruit, which in this case is just the ground level vegetation that needs to get pulled out before the serious work starts.

And then just to surprise me, they pulled down the one big tree that needed to come down, all before I even arrived with my non-fat octuple chai machaca latte...

IMG_20190831_095818_zpsdm1uagal.jpg

And then my buddy Adrian the Stump Doctor (PhD Stanford, class of 2014) doing a quick blow dry of the root network to see what he is up against. We all have to do our part in support of the transition to a sustainable electric driving future, even the trees...

IMG_20190831_095931_zpsqqnyzqgu.jpg

You have to respect anyone operating stump grinding equipment that still has all 10 fingers. The only thing more difficult to imagine might be that they were able to get a permit to take down a tree in Pasadena. This is not an easy thing to do, seriously.

I thought they took more than one tree down, but the pieces behind Adrian are just a couple of the larger sections from right above the stump he is professionally evaluating in the center.

RT

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the circus has come to town!

The Tesla Supercharger construction circus to be more precise. :D

Below you will find an issued electrical permit for the construction of a Tesla charging station, and the associated building permit:

issued1_zpsv2fj7639.jpg

issued2_zpsui2dd01g.jpg

And nothing portends construction more than an installed porta pottie, and the associated combination hand manicure / foot massage / lunch counter station...

IMG_20190903_160653_zpsw6bypxvm.jpg

I respectfully request that the Great and Powerful Oz (@ecarfan ) now change the thread title to reflect that a permit has officially been issued, if not construction under way. As proof of construction I will gladly post additional pictures of the inside of said blue structure to prove work in progress :eek:

Same request to @BlueShift to update the unceasingly spectacular site he runs that keeps track of all that is good in the world. Which can be found at supercharge.info

RT