Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - Shoppers Lane (LIVE 19 Jul 2023, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the 8 new chargers going in next might be the DCFCs. Wonder what connectors they will have? If not NACS, then when is the retrofit? :p

PXL_20230714_123548757.jpgPXL_20230714_123350456.jpgPXL_20230714_123302187.jpgPXL_20230714_123215910.MP.jpg

Reactions: Limited
Damn,
I nearly drove by this morning but mistakenly assumed that there was a missing transformer that would delay the opening a few weeks. Apparently the missing component may be for the soon to be installed DCFCs. I'll swing by on the way home to give it a go, and see what the ICEing situation looks like as this place is usually crazy busy after work.

RT

Reactions: Limited
Nice! It'd be good to confirm the stall count here, like whether it's 11 or 12 stalls
Confirming 12 stalls, which is now reflected in the total count on the nav tonight. Still some work to be done on the city DCFCs.

Attachments

• 20230719_204852.jpg
    20230719_204852.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230719_204915.jpg
    20230719_204915.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230719_204724.jpg
    20230719_204724.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah
The fenced off area adjacent to the Superchargers for the other DCFCs is now all striped and otherwise ready for charger installation. I think they are still waiting for a transformer.

Going to be interesting in a couple years when these DCFCs likely end up having NACS connectors retrofitted. Anyone pulling up to charge is going to probably just figure out whether the third-party DCFC or the Supercharger is cheaper. Unless there is a compelling reason (e.g. speed, convenience, etc.) to go with the Supercharger, it may just come down to pricing. I'm sure there are other locations where this is also the case. The Marengo garage has 20 (!) old DCFCs, which for the longest time (possibly even now) were free. I'm not clear on how Tesla negotiates wholesale power rates with the utilities they are getting power from, let alone if they are co-located with said utility that is providing "free" power to EV drivers. Will utilities be required to charge all EV charging station providers the same electricity rate? You would think so.

PXL_20230729_115541807.jpg

Reactions: NJongeling
The other non-Tesla DCFCs are now in. The construction fence is still up. Looks like these may be 50kw units with CCS and Chademo 😲 connectors. Poster child for the gap between what the public charging network rollout looks like versus the Supercharger network:

pwpweb.png

Reactions: rayluis1988
The "coming soon" signs are off the (now branded) Shell Recharge DCFCs. A sign on the units stated $0.15 off-peak and $0.20 peak rates. The LED screens were all blank though. Instructions said to first plug in your vehicle, so maybe that lights up the screen? The one unit I checked has 2 CCS connectors.

Tesla is charging $0.23 or $0.45.

RT

Last edited:
LOL, funny story: Mrs. Toe's 2015 Kia Soul EV (formerly mine) is now in the shop begging Kia for a new battery (second large battery replacement), with this saga in it's third week. Anyhoo, they did provide an EV6 for her use while they presumably spend the next several weeks/months contemplating why they offered a 100,000 mile warranty on a poorly designed compliance car. So it occurred to me that it might be fun to actually take the EV6 to the local DCFC watering hole to experience the joy of using a non-Tesla DCFC, just to see how the other poor souls get tortured.

Was looking through some information on Plugshare related to EA rollout of their brand spanking new 350kW DCFC's, to see if there was one close by that I might also frequent just for fun, since these guys may be replacing the obsolete first gen units that are essentially inoperable a large percentage of the time. Closest one was in Burbank, where there is purportedly a scam going where a "charging mafia" is controlling access to the large queue waiting to charge there. No kidding.

mafia.png

So I checked Plugshare for the local watering hole at my local site that was recently lit up. It turns out that the non-Tesla DCFCs have all (8 total) been completely off line since January 3rd. 🤣 Not willing to believe that a brand new site of 8 DCFCs could be completely broken for 10 days, I stopped by this morning. Sure enough, every single one was as dark as the deepest crater on the South pole of the moon. So: new site, new equipment, lit up November 25th, now non-functional for 10 straight days. Sitting literally right next to 12 Tesla Superchargers that are all working flawlessly since they were first turned on.

I have to ask the obvious (largely rhetorical now) question here: How can any entity, public, private, non-profit, Vulcan, install 8 brand new DCFCs, and have zero idea whether the electrical infrastructure in place can keep those units up and running? Freaking Caltech is literally 3 blocks down the street. There are 47 Nobel Prize winners living within a one mile radius of Caltech, including Albert Einstein's great-granddaughter. You would think someone would have had the sense to grab one of the 267 freshmen undergrad EE students (or even an ambitious art history major), and have them spend 5 minutes looking over the site plan to spot the ten most egregious mistakes that somehow found their way into the as built system. Maybe suggesting a few changes, or providing the contact info for the company that installed the 12 Superchargers sitting literally 3 feet away that work flawlessly? Crazy idea, right?

broken.png

It's like Tesla hired everyone who isn't a direct descendant of the three stooges, and then the other companies hired them.

stooges.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DoItDiff
Anybody ever charge here using the CCS DCFC's? I just posted the following on Plugshare after not being able to charge the EV-6. Apparently others are able to charge, I'm obviously "special". One of the recent check-in's stated you have to use the Shell Recharge app to scan the QR code. The app doesn't have any available method to scan a QR code. What am I missing here?

KIA-6 EV. Credit card reader says "Credit Card Disall". Same with Google Pay. Instructions say to plug in and use the Shell Recharge app to scan the QR code. Shell Recharge app has no ability to scan QR codes. Shell Recharge app doesn't see that the chargers in Shoppers Lane exist. This is why you don't want to attempt to fast charge any EV except a Tesla.

RT

I have been able to charge my R1S there a couple weeks ago. I did use the Shell Recharge app and it does have the ability to scan QR codes, on the iPhone app at least. Little icon at the bottom right corner. I do not see the actual chargers listed on the app, however.

1708972102406.png