Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA - Shoppers Lane (LIVE 19 Jul 2023, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
On the City Council agenda for 5/9/22:

Shoppers Lane Supercharger

The two current Pasadena sites are delivering 500 charging sessions per day. Good working relationship between the City and Tesla. This will be the third Supercharger in Pasadena !

In both previous joint project EV charging depot installations, Tesla has proved to be a reliable and professional partner. The vertical integration of Tesla vehicles and the Tesla charging standard simply cannot be duplicated by a company other than Tesla. Tesla is a leader in design, building, and implementation of DCFC charging stations. Collaboration and synergy in the design and build phase of EV charging stations projects decreases the cost and time to build a large DCFC charging station while improving usefulness of each site due to the proven high demand of Tesla charging in the Pasadena area.

RT

Attachments

• Shoppers Lane Supercharger.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
The initial post says the location is 410 Shoppers Lane. That address is a bit North of San Pasqual on the map. I saw some trenching that was much further North past Del Mar, which probably isn't related to the Supercharger. Unless they are pulling power from that far away which seems unlikely.

Couldn't find any permits showing the site layout

PXL_20220530_143744264.MP.jpg

Some actual site layout pictures in the municipal services handout. The text is a bit hard to read but the text boxes indicate:
1. PWP Chargers
2. Supercharger stalls, includes 2 ADA compliant Supercharger stalls and new accessible route connecting to existing sidewalk.
3. New utility and electrical equipment in underutilized stalls.

The East side of that lot along Mentor is where the chargers will be put in. Less chance of ICEing and sort of tucked away in the back.

Looks like the City is backpedaling the DCFC count from 8 down to 4-8. I suspect there will be 4 there, plus the 12 Superchargers.

shoppers lane.jpg

Well, it looks like the overall effort to bring power to the site may now be complete. The last several weeks have seen a constant stream of trenching, conduit install, temporary steel plates covering trench, concrete encasement, finally ending with asphalt topping (somewhat crude application, likely resurfaced when job is complete).

These two shots are from the extreme South end at the corner of San Pasqual. They ended up going East down San Pasqual quite a ways, not to mention almost the whole way down Shoppers Lane. That can't all be for the Superchargers, so either there was an overall power upgrade for the entire block, or they are future proofing the site for future expansion. Shots are: East down San Pasqual, North up Shoppers Lane:

PXL_20220723_122936925.jpgPXL_20220723_122944471.jpg

Reactions: Young and Limited
I love the smell of sawdust in the morning...

View attachment 852753View attachment 852754

Actual progress in the form of several trees in the parking lot being cut down. Could be a sign of imminent construction. It usually takes an act of Congress and several Supreme Court decisions to remove a tree in Pasadena, so this comes as pretty much shocking news.

RT
Now I know why Pasadena is so green, no wonder lol.

There were 8 or 9 Pasadena DWP trucks in this lot this morning. A lot of the lot was blocked off too. The funny thing was, they were at the extreme North end of the lot, far away from where the trees were trimmed for the Supercharger installation. I noticed that some of the trucks were for tree trimming/mulching, so it could be that it's just time for trimming the rest of the trees in the lot? I'll check back later as I have the day off but need to check the Foothill site first!

RT

Reactions: ElPolloLoco