Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pardon my newbie question, but can Tesla cars use other charging stations with the adapter that comes with it?
It depends on the type of charging station you're talking about. If it's a Level 2 (L2) charging station, then almost certainly yes. The vast, vast, vast majority (99.99%) of those in North America use a connector called a J1772 plug. Tesla provides a J1772-to-Tesla adapter with each of their cars sold so that all those stations are usable. For L2 charging where there isn't any hardware and only an available electrical outlet, the answer is mostly no. Tesla sells plug adapters for their Mobile Connector which work on the most commonly found outlet types, but, except for the normal US wall outlet (NEMA 5-15) adapter, these all have to be bought separately.

For Level 3 (L3) or DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charger) stations, the answer is always no. Teslas don't come with the adapters. L3 chargers in North America that aren't Tesla Superchargers use the CHAdeMO plug and/or the CCS1 Combo plug. As others have already replied up thread, Tesla sells a CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter that works for all current Tesla models. But they don't currently offer a CCS1 Combo-to-Tesla adapter at all, though this is thought to be in development.

(note: Tesla does have/sell an adapter for CCS Combo-to-Tesla for the European market which uses the CCS2 Combo standard)

Reactions: Mr. Big
This past weekend I ran into a friend who works for the city while supercharging. The city plans to have a big ribbon cutting event for the superchargers and city chargers on February 25th (tentative). I wonder if supercharging will continue to be free until then. Any thought?

Also, who decides to have a ribbon cutting on a Tuesday at 11 am??

Also, who decides to have a ribbon cutting on a Tuesday at 11 am??
These ribbon cuttings aren't really meant for the convenience of the public, but for city dignitaries and workers who don't have to attend on their off hours and for the news media who have more staff working during the weekdays making it more likely to wind up on the evening news. I have worked for both the City of Pasadena and the local newspaper.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916 and Fongers
The gates are open 24/7. They are manned from around 7:00AM to midnight, during which time you'll actually have to pay to park unless you get validated.

Validated one time with coffee at Starbucks and charged $3.50 another for just under an hour. I was lazy and didn’t really need coffee so I just paid the parking fee. After hours charging works for me!

• Helpful
Reactions: JeremyWhaling
According to this from the City of Pasadena, "To kick off the grand opening of the Marengo Charging Plaza, EV drivers can power up their vehicles at no cost, (fees subject to change in coming months.)"

I wonder how long this will last.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 4.14.53 PM.png

Last edited: