Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Paso Robles, CA - Golden Hill Road (LIVE, 28 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten 250 kW from any of the charging spots there? When I was there last month, the car was around 40% and it only charged at 75 kW. One lady who was charging a MY came over and asked me which one is 250 kW? I told her I have no idea and I am too lazy to move to find out! I don't see any label or sign around telling you which ones are 250.
They’re all 250, but you’re only going to get 250 under optimal conditions (your car, the weather, site utilisation, maybe grid capacity too)

As stated above. I got close on my last visit but it was 44 degree F outside. As with any V3 supercharger, precondition and arrive with low state of charge to get the maximum rates. For reference, on this visit I arrived with 8 miles of range remaining.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-182043_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-182043_Gallery.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 139
They’re all 250, but you’re only going to get 250 under optimal conditions (your car, the weather, site utilisation, maybe grid capacity too)

It was around 55 degree in the middle of a sunny day. I think my car was pre-conditioned as I set the charger as my destination from Monterey. The site was about 25% full and there wasn't any car anywhere near me. I was getting like 74.x kW the entire time.

Has anyone gotten 250 kW from any of the charging spots there? When I was there last month, the car was around 40% and it only charged at 75 kW. One lady who was charging a MY came over and asked me which one is 250 kW? I told her I have no idea and I am too lazy to move to find out! I don't see any label or sign around telling you which ones are 250.
The white ones that say TESLA on the top

I love that this supercharger has lots of spots. I don’t have to think about it when I’m coming here on a regular day during the week. Staying in Cambria and driving home today up 101, this was an obvious charging spot because it’s near a Chipotle (1 exit south on 101) and very close to 101 and has tons of high power superchargers. There’s a Starbucks right in the parking lot, so convenient for bathrooms and coffee and light fair. This is the perfect location for those driving along 101 or even towards route 5 from Paso Robles. Thank you Tesla for making our electric car life super easy.

I don’t know why it has been closed but it is challenging to lose it after growing accustomed to having it there. Currently driving to Atascadero and waiting to use the 125kw charger. Not ideal when that’s quite out of the way for the wine tasting we are here to do. Fingers crossed it reopens shortly.

I don’t know why it has been closed but it is challenging to lose it after growing accustomed to having it there. Currently driving to Atascadero and waiting to use the 125kw charger. Not ideal when that’s quite out of the way for the wine tasting we are here to do. Fingers crossed it reopens shortly.
Its been weeks now and still no change. Stopped there last week expecting new mobile connectors for different makes but nothing. Its simply been turned off. And now Atascadero gets backed up.

Unsure if we can say it is a design flaw. I'm from Oregon, and what I notice in cali construction is that they don't sufficiently plan for storms since they are rare. Paso has been hit by multiple torrential rains, and it may have clogged/overwhelmed weep holes, slope/drainage, etc. Didn't see any discoloration, scoring, etc on exterior of equipment. Just the new black plastic on the power raceway (busbar).

Something is missing where the black plastic is. This *sugar* is from the Fairfield, ca thread. Looks like 2 plastic covers are missing.
Plastic? Plastic!? We're talking 277/480 Vac at order 1000 amps, (and available fault current probably the better part of 100kA!) and we're using flat sheets of molded plastic to protect it - outdoors?
My first thought looking at the picture above is skate punks and "Hey dude, I bet I can jump the curb, have the board go under that thing while I bounce off it and hop back on!", followed by "Wow man, I think you broke that thing". Rain/dew/sprinkler water/... gets in and ZAP!... .
Wouldn't work at the Paso Robles site due to light pole in way, but errant weed whacker with steel edger blade, etc. and same result.

Or just a bad design to begin with - this thread at Mike Holt has several people saying (posts #8, #12, #16) "had problems with leaking busway, so replaced/ing with cable in conduit/cableway".

Modifying 480V Switchgear Bus

Plastic? Plastic!? We're talking 277/480 Vac at order 1000 amps, (and available fault current probably the better part of 100kA!) and we're using flat sheets of molded plastic to protect it - outdoors?
My first thought looking at the picture above is skate punks and "Hey dude, I bet I can jump the curb, have the board go under that thing while I bounce off it and hop back on!", followed by "Wow man, I think you broke that thing". Rain/dew/sprinkler water/... gets in and ZAP!... .
Wouldn't work at the Paso Robles site due to light pole in way, but errant weed whacker with steel edger blade, etc. and same result.

Or just a bad design to begin with - this thread at Mike Holt has several people saying (posts #8, #12, #16) "had problems with leaking busway, so replaced/ing with cable in conduit/cableway".

Modifying 480V Switchgear Bus

Those plates missing could be metal. It’s a flat grey that could be either. Hopefully it was metal but you never know. Either way, there appears to have been something wrong with them and they broke or were removed and replaced with the black plastic.

Feels like it's a major internal repair with a closure of this length. Probably waiting on parts and labor. Spent the week in paso at a hotel without a charger and it actually went fine. Charged in Atascadero (120kW) 3 times with no wait times (though people did have to wait for us) and King City once on the way back from Monterrey in our M3LR and we didn't feel any anxiety. However, all of that was only possible because Lost Hills FINALLY opened and we charged to 95% there on our way into Paso from I-5 having got the memo from TMC that Paso was down before we arrived. Thanks TMC!

Reactions: DoItDiff and bmah
Feels like it's a major internal repair with a closure of this length. Probably waiting on parts and labor. Spent the week in paso at a hotel without a charger and it actually went fine. Charged in Atascadero (120kW) 3 times with no wait times (though people did have to wait for us) and King City once on the way back from Monterrey in our M3LR and we didn't feel any anxiety. However, all of that was only possible because Lost Hills FINALLY opened and we charged to 95% there on our way into Paso from I-5 having got the memo from TMC that Paso was down before we arrived. Thanks TMC!
San Ardo would have been a great place to top up on you way into Paso from the north. There's also quite a few CCS chargers on the route that required Lost Hills so it would have been a no brainer even without Lost Hills SC if you had the CCS capability and adapter.