Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Paso Robles, CA - Golden Hill Road (LIVE, 28 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I found the commercial building permit application (B19-0934) for a "TESLA CHARGING STATION" at the Golden Hills Plaza (Lowe's, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc) in Paso Robles. It's on CA-46 about 1.5 mi east of the 101 interchange. Given the location, type of permit, and recently updated planning info from Tesla (new pin in map), I'm pretty sure it's for a supercharger but there's nothing totally definitive and no indication on possible size. The application was filed in December 2019 and is still under review (and likely to remain so for a few months). Unfortunately, Paso Robles' online permitting portal doesn't allow uninvolved people to access the current status of the reviews by the various subsection reviewers or much other ancillary info about the project.

What: A new Supercharger with unknown number of stalls in development to be built in Paso Robles.

Address: 2449 Golden Hill Rd, Paso Robles, CA 93446
GPS (guess): 35.646278, -120.658333

@Chuq @BlueShift @MarcoRP

I found the commercial building permit application (B19-0934) for a "TESLA CHARGING STATION" at the Golden Hills Plaza (Lowe's, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc) in Paso Robles. It's on CA-46 about 1.5 mi east of the 101 interchange. Given the location, type of permit, and recently updated planning info from Tesla (new pin in map), I'm pretty sure it's for a supercharger
Nice work, you da man! :D Yes, it must be a Supercharger. Tesla would not make a commercial permit application for a “Tesla Charging Station” for anything but Superchargers.

Not going to assume that it's "the big one", but doesn't that patch of dirt immediately east of the TJ Maxx look inviting!

Just did satellite view on Google maps and you're right... that spot seems custom-designed for a SC... love the little parking lot there off to the side away from ICE'ing....
IMG_1695.jpg

Good find. Looking at Google Maps (depart at feature), it's about 5-9 mins from 101 at rush hour (late afternoon) as 46 gets pretty congested. I was hoping the Paso Robles location would be right next to 101.
Yes. Closer to the 101/46 interchange would have better served both branches, and 101 certainly needs more capacity. But there’s probably no good site available there. So this’ll do! I would have loved this option a few months ago when Atascadero was in melt-down. Looking forward to this coming online for our trips between Sacramento and Arroyo Grande!

Reactions: goldengate
Looks like about a one minute drive to reach this location after exiting 101. Seems perfect to me. Here’s hoping this location is “Kettleman City worthy”!
The traffic on that last mile of 46 can get bogged down at times, though. But anything along 101 is a plus! As for "Kettleman City worthy", that would be interesting: the very next location along 46 is Kettleman City. (Okay, actually you turn onto 41 at the James Dean corner.) That'd be two fancy ones in a row!

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Actually, I disagree. The location, a short distance from 101 is great for folks traveling to L.A. and south via I-5. Folks remaining south on 101 only need to go a short distance further to Atascadero (or SLO) - freeing up these new Hwy 46 chargers - and saving time by not backtracking.

Not sure there is a feasible location at 101/46 intersection anyway.

The location is perfect, I always stay at Rv cava resort and I never ever see congested traffic on that last mile of 46, it will take you about couple minutes to drive there from the 101 exit, anyway when you plane your trip keep in mind that southbound the Atascadero supercharger is only 8 miles and San Luis Obispo Supercharger is 26 miles from PR, on the way north will be the last one before the Salinas supercharger, around 100 miles north from Paso Robles.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Why there and not King City or ???

Tesla doesn't hand pick which city gets them first. For each site, they have to go through negotiations with the land owner, negotiations with the power company, negotiations with the city/county government, and negotiations with the construction contractor. They could kick off a dozen sites at the same time, and some will get done within 3 months, some might take 12 months, and some might fall through completely resulting in them looking for another site in the area and having to start all over again.

I don't even think the extra chargers at SLO are open yet.... waiting for chargers between Atascadero and Salinas is like watching paint dry....

The four V3 stalls at SLO appear to be finished, but they still had “Coming Soon” covers on them when I charged there last Sunday.

And I’d love a SC in King City. Salinas traffic can really slow down a trip going from and to the freeway during the daytime.