Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Payment Notice Won't Leave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
My credit card expired on 2019 Model 3 so a notification pops up that I am unable to supercharge until I update payment method. I updated payment method but notification still pops up and remains there while I am driving. I tried resetting the monitor.

Anyone have suggestions before I take it to service?

Hi Everyone,
My credit card expired on 2019 Model 3 so a notification pops up that I am unable to supercharge until I update payment method. I updated payment method but notification still pops up and remains there while I am driving. I tried resetting the monitor.

Hard rebooting a car?

Hi Everyone,

I had the same thing happen when my card expired.

The message would not disappear until after my next charging session after updating the card info.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I think I had something similar. I updated my card on the web site, but the message in the car persisted. I did not want to click through the prompts in the car which seemed to indicate I would pay (again) but finally in out of curiosity I did so and, nothing really happened, except the message went away. Do you have that option?

I think I had something similar. I updated my card on the web site, but the message in the car persisted. I did not want to click through the prompts in the car which seemed to indicate I would pay (again) but finally in out of curiosity I did so and, nothing really happened, except the message went away. Do you have that option?

Thanks for responding. No it doesn't go away. When I go through the prompts on the car, it says there is no payment required at this time, and doesn't allow me to update the card information on the car.
I may just have to take it to service real quick.

Had this problem recently also, and visited this thread in my pursuit of a solution.

I was able to call my local service center and navigate through the service option to reach someone in a remote call center about charging. After I explained the issue, they told me they are looking into it, and removed the alert for the time being.

I was plugged into a supercharger while on hold, and was pleased to hear a loud connection sound as the supercharger engaged. When I looked up, the alert was gone.

So that was my fix. I'm charging while writing this.

A little backstory on what may have caused the issue in my case, for the curious:

I recently purchased the car, a 2014 Tesla Model S, from a dealer nearby. I am the second owner of the car, and the original owners had purchased (or received) free supercharging for (with) the car. Upon transfer of ownership, I received the upgrade, and had created an account to operate the Tesla.

Every time I took my car to a supercharger, I could plug it in, and it would charge. The "Current Session" section on the car's charging menu has never registered a single session. The mobile app similarly does not have a record of any sessions. So this is a potentially unique circumstance.

Additionally, the first instance of the warning popped up a few days ago when I supercharged and returned a few minutes past the grace period for idle Tesla's at Superchargers (or so I assume). So my theory is: The combination of the transfer of title and the connected account somehow interfered with the internal payment structure on Tesla's end, which was triggered by idle stall fees, and then prevented the vehicle from allowing supercharging as a result.

Or Tesla's amazing technology is still just a manifestation of our imperfect selves! It's been a great ride these past three months, and I'm excited to push the limits of this car many years into the future. I've already saved an average of more than $400 a month on gas and engine maintenance as compared to my last vehicle.

Thanks Tesla Team!

Had this problem recently also, and visited this thread in my pursuit of a solution.

I was able to call my local service center and navigate through the service option to reach someone in a remote call center about charging. After I explained the issue, they told me they are looking into it, and removed the alert for the time being.

I was plugged into a supercharger while on hold, and was pleased to hear a loud connection sound as the supercharger engaged. When I looked up, the alert was gone.

So that was my fix. I'm charging while writing this.

A little backstory on what may have caused the issue in my case, for the curious:

I recently purchased the car, a 2014 Tesla Model S, from a dealer nearby. I am the second owner of the car, and the original owners had purchased (or received) free supercharging for (with) the car. Upon transfer of ownership, I received the upgrade, and had created an account to operate the Tesla.

Every time I took my car to a supercharger, I could plug it in, and it would charge. The "Current Session" section on the car's charging menu has never registered a single session. The mobile app similarly does not have a record of any sessions. So this is a potentially unique circumstance.

Additionally, the first instance of the warning popped up a few days ago when I supercharged and returned a few minutes past the grace period for idle Tesla's at Superchargers (or so I assume). So my theory is: The combination of the transfer of title and the connected account somehow interfered with the internal payment structure on Tesla's end, which was triggered by idle stall fees, and then prevented the vehicle from allowing supercharging as a result.

Or Tesla's amazing technology is still just a manifestation of our imperfect selves! It's been a great ride these past three months, and I'm excited to push the limits of this car many years into the future. I've already saved an average of more than $400 a month on gas and engine maintenance as compared to my last vehicle.

Thanks Tesla Team

Whoops! Auto-reposted while trying to update, and not sure how to delete just yet.

Update:

My theory was supported! My account was mis-allocated to a different, misspelled version, which had to be updated in their system so I could pay... you guessed it, inactivity fees at the supercharger! I paid the fee, and now supercharging is once again available for me. Suffice it to say, I'll make sure I keep a close eye on the charge and not wander off too far next time.

Here are a few more details.

Minutes after getting off the supercharger, the same alert popped back up. To get ahead of the game, I called back the customer service line, to try to get the alert and block removed before I would need to, in order to be able to supercharge as desired, instead of waiting again. The service rep told me there was indeed a block on my account due the reasons listed in the update above. Once I reconnected the correct email address and confirmed, I was able to access the pay window which let me pay the fees needed to remove the block and alert.

Great to know how very dependent we are with this technology! I'm sure the same thing exists in terms of gas vehicles being dependent on the pump, but it feels slightly more malicious when a computer can turn off the entire functionality of your vehicle based on an unpaid fee. It's a reminder to be even more vigilant in terms of responsibility, on my end.

Thanks again Tesla Team! She's up and running once more.

Hi Everyone,

I find that a phone call is a lot easier than taking it in to Service. This seems to be the kind of thing they could and would fix with a phone call. I'd call my nearest Tesla Service Center.