Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody driven from the Scottsdale Supercharger to the Holbrook Supercharger? Google maps says 173 miles, which is doable, but not sure on the mountainous terrain, whether it is actually doable. With a Model X 100D.
You should be fine. Just charge to 95+% just in case. It will be easier in the other direction due to the elevation change, which is 4k ft. Rule of thumb is that you lose 1 Rated Mile for every 100 ft of elevation gain, so that's 40 Rated Miles gone right there. That being said, you should still be able to go 170 miles without too much of an issue. I've done this drive a couple times in my previous Tesla which was an S90D so similar range to your X100D. I don't recall it being much of a problem but it was in decent weather, not snow covered roads or anything.

I've made the drive from Chandler to Holbrook via Payson in an S85 a couple of times, I charged to nearly 100% at the charger in Chandler Mall. I believe I arrived in Holbrook both times with about 20 miles range remaining, I drove the speed limit, not over and it wasn't windy - Temps were in the 70s. I suspect in a X100D and charging in Scottsdale vs Chandler, you'll be fine probably have around 40 miles range left when you pull in.

I just got back from a trip to Seattle, and one thing I noticed on this trip vs other trips, I was never the only car at a Supercharger the whole way-I never had to wait and only shared the charger pair 1 time, I used I-5 and I-10 (and I-210 across the top of LA) so I was traveling through the highest density Tesla regions, but I think indeed the onslaught of cars is starting to show at the Supercharger.

You should be fine. Just charge to 95+% just in case. It will be easier in the other direction due to the elevation change, which is 4k ft. Rule of thumb is that you lose 1 Rated Mile for every 100 ft of elevation gain, so that's 40 Rated Miles gone right there. That being said, you should still be able to go 170 miles without too much of an issue. I've done this drive a couple times in my previous Tesla which was an S90D so similar range to your X100D. I don't recall it being much of a problem but it was in decent weather, not snow covered roads or anything.
Is that for net elevation gain or for cumulative up elevation ?

Is that for net elevation gain or for cumulative up elevation ?
Net. You gain most of what you lose going up on the way down. I suppose a real rollercoaster of a terrain would be worse than just a gradual gain, but on actual North American terrains, I haven't noticed much difference. It's just a rule of thumb though and I can't be sure it's 100% accurate, but based on my experience (125k miles driving throughout North America), it seems to work pretty well.

By the way, if you click on the supercharger dot on supercharge.info and then click "Details" it will show you the precise elevation of the supercharger. You can toggle between meters and feet so be sure you have it on feet. If you are at a non-supercharger location, you can usually type "<name of city> elevation" into google and it will give you the city elevation.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
I have done this drive with my S90D. 100% charged a few miles from where the Scottsdale supercharger is located. Made it fine. HOWEVER, the navigation system freaked out and said I wasn't going to make it. I pulled over in Fountain Hills to review the route and found that the Tesla navigation wanted me to take a longer route - which would have been a huge problem.
After having Google tell me where to go, I found the correct route, which shaved off quite a few miles and allowed me to make it just fine. Of course, the car didn't update until I passed the turn it "thought" I should take.
I did this drive in October a few years back. Took me around 225 rated miles....can't remember the exact number.

Looks like work may be starting. The area of the parking lot near the Subway and Motor Vehicle office where the super chargers should go has been sectioned off with chain link fencing in the past day or two. No delivery of equipment, etc. seen but the fencing is a positive sign.
Thank you for reporting on it. Payson's climate seems warm enough that ground would be workable, let's hope they're moving on it.
Cuts the corner.

Photos from last night

W7r4Vax.jpg

lFKfomZ.jpg

0Tv164h.jpg

I'm a new owner of a cpo s70d and wondering if anyone has made the Phoenix to Heber trip? Until Payson is ready I'm a too worried to try. Once I get to my cabin I'll have a dryer outlet to charge to get home. Thanks
There have been multiple posts about going from the Phoenix area to the Holbrook supercharger, many of them in this thread!

Is your cabin in Heber? Are you starting with a full charge at the Scottsdale supercharger? You didn't really provide enough information.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue