Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pecos, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We stayed in Pecos last week on a Monday night and the oil boom has gone crazy in the city. We went to 3 eating establishments and could not get seated at any. Just trying to find an RV Park with an opening was an adventure as was simply trying to get into a convenience store to buy gas.
I certainly can imagine delays in a permitting process and I think construction of a Supercharger would be incredibly difficult. We found the truck stops to be in near gridlock at 8:30 pm Monday night. I personally cant invision where to even attemp to build a Supercharger facility. Recent oil experts met in Paris and predicted most of the increase in World oil consumption by 2023 would come from the US and that growth in the Permian Basin production will fulfill most of that. Not a nice place to stop in my opinion.

We stayed in Pecos last week on a Monday night and the oil boom has gone crazy in the city. We went to 3 eating establishments and could not get seated at any. Just trying to find an RV Park with an opening was an adventure as was simply trying to get into a convenience store to buy gas.
I certainly can imagine delays in a permitting process and I think construction of a Supercharger would be incredibly difficult. We found the truck stops to be in near gridlock at 8:30 pm Monday night. I personally cant invision where to even attemp to build a Supercharger facility. Recent oil experts met in Paris and predicted most of the increase in World oil consumption by 2023 would come from the US and that growth in the Permian Basin production will fulfill most of that. Not a nice place to stop in my opinion.
I had a nearly identical experience last Wednesday at around 9-10pm. Could not believe how jam packed the town was everywhere. Didn't seem like there was space for a supercharger at any of the usual places (hotels and truck stops). I checked them all and they were all packed with large work trucks. Furthermore the infrastructure in this town really sucks. Had to put the suspension on VERY HIGH just to navigate in and out of and around all the parking lots.

I also agree with your last sentences. Something about this town is just off-putting. The impression I got from my brief visit is that it's one of the worst places I have ever been to in the US.

Certainly agree. We stopped in Pecos for the night in overpriced hotel. Tried to eat at restaurant that was jammed with people. Food & service was terrible. If you can- don’t stop in Pecos☹️ Too many trucks and infrastructure can’t handle the load☹️

Glad I found this thread, as we are planning the trip with our S75 (June) from Denton TX to Carlsbad CA. At first, I was taking about following the I-10 route West and I-40 coming back (wanted to stop in Las Vegas on return). Since I wouldn't be able to make it between Midland and Van Horn I was searching for something in Pecos. Other than Best Western - nada.

Any other suggestions? If not, I might just suck it up and go I-40 both ways...

Glad I found this thread, as we are planning the trip with our S75 (June) from Denton TX to Carlsbad CA. At first, I was taking about following the I-10 route West and I-40 coming back (wanted to stop in Las Vegas on return). Since I wouldn't be able to make it between Midland and Van Horn I was searching for something in Pecos. Other than Best Western - nada.

Any other suggestions? If not, I might just suck it up and go I-40 both ways...
If you have the option, take I-40 going west and I-10/I-20 going east. Usually the wind blows from the west and the elevation always goes down from west to east. You would probably be fine with a full charge going from Van Horn to Midland in an S75 especially in summer. Just charge to near 100%, drive slow and monitor your battery as you drive. Doing that leg in the other direction would be much harder and might require a stop at the Best Western in Pecos.

If you have the option, take I-40 going west and I-10/I-20 going east. Usually the wind blows from the west and the elevation always goes down from west to east. You would probably be fine with a full charge going from Van Horn to Midland in an S75 especially in summer. Just charge to near 100%, drive slow and monitor your battery as you drive. Doing that leg in the other direction would be much harder and might require a stop at the Best Western in Pecos.
Thanks. At this point, we have pretty much decided to take I-40 (with some variations there and back).

IMO, I-40 is a more pleasant, safer and faster trip from Denton anyway.

I think Route 66 is a very interesting detour between Oklahoma and New Mexico. If your schedule allows, I'd try to visit some of the sites.
You are right about remnants of Route 66 - we have traveled most of that stretch before. One can't miss out on Santa Rosa or Tucumcari, for example.

From our early planning, there's plenty of things along I-40 westbound anyway. Haven't been to Flagstaff, for example!

Reactions: bollar
PLUS EV: yes, the GM at the BW+ in Fort Stockton said they altered their electrical plans at their new hotel in Pecos (Home2 Suites) to accommodate a Supercharger. Their comments about the unbuilt SC in Fort Stockton proved correct, so I have no reason to doubt their
H2 S comments. I think the group owns 9 hotels in the area - Fort Stockton, Alpine, Pecos,maybe others. Tesla has been talking to the group, but I haven't seen anything come of it - yet.

If I'm reading this right, the BW chain is going to host SCs in both F.S. and Pecos?

An ownership group. It's a Home2Suites in Pecos, TX (under construction) (there's one in Midland, TX, which I assume is the same owner).

Last information on the Fort Stockton, TX thread was mention of the Hampton Inn, after the Best Western site was permitted, but fell through.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
According to EV Trip planner from Midland Supercharger to Van Horn Supercharger is:
2:39 time to drive
68 mph avg speed
180.5 miles
152 RM
46 kWh
253 Wh/mi
3629 ft UP
2310 ft DOWN

What it does not know is the wind.

From the above info it should be an easy drive in a Model S 75D.

We have our June/July cross-country trip driving east on I-70 through Denver, then after Key West, FL we plan to head west on I-20 going home. We decided to not use I-10 because of the gap at Ft. Stockton. Maybe next year.

For those of you who make this drive, how far off is EV Trip Planner? Will it take a lot more than the 250 RM when close to 100%?

Last year we went east on I-40, then from Florida on I-10 to I-20 through Shreveport, LA and Dallas, TX to I-40 at Oklahoma City, OK, then west on I-40. We would really like to skip I-40 this year and hit lots of new Superchargers.

According to EV Trip planner from Midland Supercharger to Van Horn Supercharger is:
For those of you who make this drive, how far off is EV Trip Planner? Will it take a lot more than the 250 RM when close to 100%?

Last year we went east on I-40, then from Florida on I-10 to I-20 through Shreveport, LA and Dallas, TX to I-40 at Oklahoma City, OK, then west on I-40. We would really like to skip I-40 this year and hit lots of new Superchargers.
Pretty good, but wind and rain were not factors. Those are the wildcards, I believe.

Are you aware you can input a wind speed? Make a few estimates with winds speeds of 10, 20, and 30 mph and see how the energy requirement changes. You may find that you can tolerate 5-10 mph, but have real issues with anything above that. Effectively, adding wind speed (as a head wind) is the equivalent of increasing your velocity by that same amount. Also note that the speed limit in far West Texas is 75-80, not 65.