Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pembina, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Dec 3, Electrek indicates starting on the Canadian Highway. Is this location a part of that push? Looks like this links the work in Canada to the USA.

I think the Electrek article was based on the TMC posts showing discussions/permits almost a year ago, which in some cases have expired. So I'm not sure it is of any value.

On the other hand though, I am pleasantly surprised that there are four (4) Superchargers currently under construction now, in December, in Canada:
  • Vancouver BC
  • Victoria BC
  • Mississauga ON
  • Waasis NB
I wouldn't have predicted that. The 2 in BC are in parking garages but the other 2 are in the great outdoors. With cold weather 'n stuff.

Coming up on spring (except in North Dakota). Any word on preparations to start on the 2019 construction season? Even North Dakota should be coming to life soon.
It was negative temps for over 120 hours straight, we aren't thawing anytime soon. The high temp for the next 7 days is 22*, it's -8* right now. We are 1.5 months from thinking about digging anything yet. But seriously, no new movement on actual construction. Dickinson's location is ready for the crews to come in. There isn't any site prep outside the typical construction/electric connection points.

I was there on Sunday Apr.21st. There's no ice on the river, but there's a lot of river. AFAIK the crest has passed by now (May 2) and the river is going down. They were close to emergency measures, but they hadn't diked up the town or anything.

And I saw no activity yet, but not sure what I'm looking for. I gathered it's planned for in/near the parking lot on one of the GasTrak stations (the south side of the road one?)

• Informative
Reactions: lightfoot3b
Maybe the construction crew currently working on the new Minneapolis SC will finish there and go directly to Alexandria and then Fargo and then? If Tesla awarded the contracts to one construction company which way do they go from Fargo, North or West? My bet would be North to link up the Winnipeg owners.

Maybe the construction crew currently working on the new Minneapolis SC will finish there and go directly to Alexandria and then Fargo and then? If Tesla awarded the contracts to one construction company which way do they go from Fargo, North or West? My bet would be North to link up the Winnipeg owners.
Instead of bet I'd like to know if any of those locations have new construction permits being filed or if they are working from the originals. That would be telling as they can't start if they need a new permit.

I stopped at the Pembina gas station today (GasTrak?) and talked to the asst manager (Daniel?) briefly. He knew what I was asking about from the word "Tesla". He said that Tesla and the Florida based property owners were discussing/arguing about the on-property supercharger location. He said the proposed location would be at property edge facing I-29 next to the current dumpster enclosure. He had not heard any rumblings of agreements, permits or construction crews on the way. He was surprised that there was an active permit for the location. He figured (perhaps correctly) that there are few Teslas in North Dakota because there are few chargers, and vice versa. Critical mass is not yet achieved.
I don't care for the on-property location because between there and the building is the high traffic 18 wheeler entrance corridor for the diesel pumps in the back.
20190531_120444.jpg
Fine looking dumpster enclosure there, with 2 pre-ICEd spots. That's I-29 in the background.

It's good to see a permit for this location but I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed past 2019.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Not so much ND as this is a missing link to get to civilization (?) from Winnipeg. I was told a little while ago there are about 60 Tesla’s in Manitoba and more each month. Especially in winter it’s a stretch to try to reach Fargo and ever Grand Forks might be a reach. Presumably Pembina would happen about the same time as the rest of ND

The pessimist in me is starting to think that 2019 is going to go down as ND superchargers next year....for the what the seventh year in a row? There is zero movement on any of them and it’s already June. Even Alexandria, MN which people were told will happen before ND’s has no sign of starting construction.

There is an alleged Supercharger in progress in Moose Jaw, SK:

Thread link: Supercharger - Moose Jaw, SK

I say "alleged" because I don't seen any actual Tesla equipment or boxes in the video, but all the correct signs are otherwise there.

I'm also surprised at this construction location, because (as we've kicked around here), Tesla supposedly doesn't like to open chargers in isolated locations, and this is pretty isolated from the next nearest Supercharger (Alberta going West, Montana/Wyoming/South Dakota going sorta South, Ontario going East).

Hopefully this is encouraging to followers of the North Dakota routes... [My personal interest is I-29 to Winnipeg]

The one thing that does make sense is that Elon used to live in Saskatchewan, and I think he still has friends and relatives there.

Last edited:
There are lots of Tesla's in North Dakota. And they are owned by the nicest people.
View attachment 414409 View attachment 414410
This is Medora on Memorial Day.

I was hoping that Dickenson would go live before I visit Medora in two months.

I am double booked for the Roughrider+campground on the first day so that I can dust off the miles from Spearfish that first night.

What did the campground charge for overnight charging?