Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Perry, OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Corsicana, TX tonight and will attempt to make it from Ardmore to Wichita on a single range charge in my P85D tomorrow. If I can spare the extra mile or two I will try to check on the Perry site tomorrow when I'm passing through. I will make the call by OKC whether or not I think I can make it all the way to Wichita and may stop somewhere in OKC for an extra 20 miles or so.

Mike

I am in Corsicana, TX tonight and will attempt to make it from Ardmore to Wichita on a single range charge in my P85D tomorrow. If I can spare the extra mile or two I will try to check on the Perry site tomorrow when I'm passing through. I will make the call by OKC whether or not I think I can make it all the way to Wichita and may stop somewhere in OKC for an extra 20 miles or so.

Mike

Hi Mike - you can stop for a top off right off of I 35 first exit into Kansas - at Oasis RV park - off I 35 a few hundred yards to the west... I have been there 4 times and the guy that runs it is very nice.

Thanks guys but I ran into a little "glitch" today. Left Corsicana this morning bright and early - made it to Ardmore, OK no problem. Charged up fully to 255 miles. Went to unplug the supercharger and much to my surprise it would not release from the car. Currently waiting in Ardmore for the service guys from Dallas to get here and untether my car from the supercharger.

The road trip is over for now. When they get the car unplugged I'm headed back to the Dallas Service Center for whatever repairs may be necessary.

I was convinced I would have made it to Wichita driving 60 - 65 MPH with no wind and mild weather today... I made long stretches yesterday using under 300 Wh/mile but like sb11 pointed out I had back up plans in OKC or Oasis RV park just in case.

...Went to unplug the supercharger and much to my surprise it would not release from the car...
Sorry to read about the problem. Hopefully your vehicle was unlocked when attempting to remove the charge handle. Two things I would try under such circumstances. Using the Open Charge Port button on the touch screen and/or the iPhone. If the charge handle button is faulty, then placing some tape on top of the button and lifting it up gently might help. The tape lift solved a faulty button on my HPWC. Did Tesla Motors have you reboot the two screens in your vehicle? Please let us know what the issue was.

Thanks guys but I ran into a little "glitch" today. Left Corsicana this morning bright and early - made it to Ardmore, OK no problem. Charged up fully to 255 miles. Went to unplug the supercharger and much to my surprise it would not release from the car. Currently waiting in Ardmore for the service guys from Dallas to get here and untether my car from the supercharger.

The road trip is over for now. When they get the car unplugged I'm headed back to the Dallas Service Center for whatever repairs may be necessary.

I was convinced I would have made it to Wichita driving 60 - 65 MPH with no wind and mild weather today... I made long stretches yesterday using under 300 Wh/mile but like sb11 pointed out I had back up plans in OKC or Oasis RV park just in case.
Ugh.

If there's anything I can do for a fellow NOLA refugee while you're around DFW, let me know.

Thanks again guys. An update.

The charge port locking mechanism has indeed failed. No amount of unlocking the car, pushing the buttons (on screen or otherwise) would release the charging cable. Turns out on the newer ports there is a "manual release" behind an access port in the carpet on the upper left side of the trunk (right behind the port). Even that was frozen. Once the ranger was finally able to actuate that release and with some forceful jiggling of the cable the mechanical tab finally slid down enough to release the cable.

As of now I am able to charge again but the cable no longer locks into the port - I will have to have the charge port replaced.

Since I wasted an entire day with this I've cut my trip short and am heading back south (at Corsicana again now charging).

I have to say that while the malfunction is a little disappointing, the Tesla Teams' response was exemplary. Between the advisors in California, my regular Service Manager in New Orleans and the Dallas Service Center they were all over this doing anything they could to assist. Ultimately Dallas Service (thanks Jimmy) drove up to Ardmore and got me going again.

Mike

It is a hassle to waste an extra day. Reminds me of my adventure in Gilroy CA when the Model S would only show a red light at the charge port. Tried everything Tesla Motors suggested, but nothing would get the vehicle to charge. Since I had 70 miles left and the factory was 40 miles away, they suggested driving up that night. At 10 PM the gates to the factory service center were opened and a van from the Marriott picked me up for an overnight stay. Next morning the charge port was replaced and a few other items repaired. By noon the car was done and the complementary room was magnificent. Tesla Motors does their best to treat us well. Just plan on an extra day in case of hardware failures.

So I heard back from the Tesla Supercharger folks and they let me know that the Perry, OK site will more than likely not be ready by this Friday (when I need it). Needless to say we are still taking the Tesla as Krista at the on-line store was able to perform a minor miracle and get me a CHAdeMO adapter this week (Go Krista!!). So we will stop in OKC at the fast charger they have there using the adapter and be on our way to Wichita in no time. We are going all the way to Kansas City and there are CHAdeMO chargers all over the city so should be all set once there. I will stop in Perry on the way out and on the way back and take some pictures to up date everyone on how construction is going.

So I heard back from the Tesla Supercharger folks and they let me know that the Perry, OK site will more than likely not be ready by this Friday (when I need it). Needless to say we are still taking the Tesla as Krista at the on-line store was able to perform a minor miracle and get me a CHAdeMO adapter this week (Go Krista!!). So we will stop in OKC at the fast charger they have there using the adapter and be on our way to Wichita in no time. We are going all the way to Kansas City and there are CHAdeMO chargers all over the city so should be all set once there. I will stop in Perry on the way out and on the way back and take some pictures to up date everyone on how construction is going.

Congratulations on securing your CHAdeMO adapter.
Jay used his a adapter to charge his 60 a couple of times @ OKC to/from Weatherford, OK.

Since there are a couple of Superchargers near KC @ Topeka, KS and Independence, MO you might not need to use the CHAdeMO while in KC, unless you are doing a lot of driving.

Looking forward to your visit of the Perry Superchargers and posting some "during construction" pics.
I am following development of both the Perry and St. Charles, MO SpC sites, as these are the key connection Superchargers from Texas headed to the Mid-West and then the Northeast.

Thanks for the article. We are heading out that way tomorrow and will give it a quick look to see how they are progressing but if those are recent pictures then they seem to be aimed for the mid-April as they say in the article.

Alright, we are in Ardmore getting a good charge.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Made it to the ATC fastcharger in OKC. This is fantastic that they have this as with the Perry site not ready yet it would take forever to charge and after filling up to 208 in Ardmore and making it here with only 50 miles to go we had to stop. Charging at 363v and 106a getting about 126 mi/hr so a good rate. First time to use the CHADeMO adapter and it works flawlessly. There was a bit of a nervous moment due to user error (you have to pull the handle of the CHAdeMO plug all the way up and lock it in place otherwise you get an error causing unnecessary stress...) but once that was figured out we were all set! Highly recommend getting one!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg