Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI Center City Philly, as would be in NYC, SAN FRANCISCO, CHICAGO, BOSTON and many other places includes many apartment dwellers that don't have access to home charging. I left my Manhattan penthouse in '06 and bought a row house in Center City Philly (4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms 2000sq ft) and I have no garage or designated parking space. Your comment is totally ignorant of how millions of Americans live and it has nothing to do with income or wealth.

Exactly. I live in DC in a row house and in a Manhattan coop apt prior. It is not unusual not to have a garage and no home charging even when you live in million+ housing in an urban city.

My Tesla gets garaged in a parking lot whose monthly rent is more than my house rent in college.

At least Philly has superchargers in Center City. Consider yourselves lucky. DC only has superchargers in VA and MD. None in DC itself. PITA.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
New update glitch so we can’t see Philly anymore on the site.
B4AF1100-C032-431C-A54F-C6294500E043.jpeg

• Informative
All,
I'm trying to get the word out to cancel the scheduled ribbon cutting that we were going to have here at noon today due to the snow. (Heavier in the places attendees were going to travel from.)

Was anyone here planning on coming? If so are you still?

Not sure how some of the reported users are getting such high charge rates as 69kw(literally 2 hrs before me) to the max rate 72kw in the winter. Currently the temp. is 19 degrees. Getting max 37 kw which is consistent with the 2 other times I have charged here with winter Temps- charge rates 29-37 kw, no more! How are people getting over 60 kw, you'd be hard pressed to get that at a standard Supercharger in below 20 degrees weather! Right up to the 1st hour limit, with battery at 200 miles range, charging rate was 34kw. If it's a matter of the battery being cold, wouldn't it be warmed up enough to get higher rates? Previous charger reported (via plug share) that rate started slow but within 5 minutes went to 67kw? The person was charging when the Temps were 14 degrees. I don't understand this.

Not sure how some of the reported users are getting such high charge rates as 69kw(literally 2 hrs before me) to the max rate 72kw in the winter. Currently the temp. is 19 degrees. Getting max 37 kw which is consistent with the 2 other times I have charged here with winter Temps- charge rates 29-37 kw, no more! How are people getting over 60 kw, you'd be hard pressed to get that at a standard Supercharger in below 20 degrees weather! Right up to the 1st hour limit, with battery at 200 miles range, charging rate was 34kw. If it's a matter of the battery being cold, wouldn't it be warmed up enough to get higher rates? Previous charger reported (via plug share) that rate started slow but within 5 minutes went to 67kw? The person was charging when the Temps were 14 degrees. I don't understand this.

Low charge rates in cold weather are almost always about a cold battery pack in my experience. It can take up to an hour of freeway driving to warm the pack in freezing weather.

If you have limited regen (yellow dash on the energy display,) you'll definitely have slow charging, but the charging rate is still slow for a while after the dashes go away.

I've had no problem getting 90+ kW rates in my X75D in freezing weather on road trips with a fully warmed pack.

Could it have something to do with your SOC? You said you had 200 miles toward the end and depending on your vehicle, that could be quite a high SOC which will put you well-into the taper. So, by the time your battery warmed-up, you were already in the taper. Just a thought.

The person was charging when the Temps were 14 degrees. I don't understand this.
Battery pack temp is all that matters, and when its this cold out it takes quite a long time for the pack to come up to temp. Supercharging is best done after a long drive, but at these temps it will take quite awhile to warm up enough (50+ miles of driving) for the full rate of charge. Unfortunately you can't see the battery temp unless you have a P100D (or a CAN reader).

Hooray! This SC is a much needed link in the chain. It is ~1 mile from I-95 and ~1/2 mile from I-76, the two highways that serve the Philly area. It is very close to I-676, a 2 mile stretch of highway which connects 76 and 95. IMO $5 for an hour is a reasonable fee (less than 2 gallons of gas). Free would be better, but this isn't bad and the SC is just off I-676, so if you are using 76 and/or 95, it is less than a 2 mile detour. It's right on your way.

I have only one caveat; Philadelphia is a Parade crazy city! The local news station (KYW 1060) does a terrible job of warning of parades (pending or even in progress).

E.G., one summer Saturday morning several years ago at about 9:30 a.m. I exited I-676 at 22nd st (the exit you would likely use to get to the SC) and instantly found myself in gridlocked traffic. I know the area well so I eventually worked my way out of the traffic and headed south, opposite the direction of my destination. After almost an hour fighting bumper to bumper traffic, KYW radio FINALLY said "we have reports of heavy traffic in the Art Museum area due to the Hungarian parade." How Shadow Traffic could be oblivious to a scheduled parade and failed to forewarn drivers is beyond my comprehension. My 9 mile trip which usually takes 20-30 minutes ended up taking me 3 hours and almost 20 miles out of my way!

Parades are most always held on route 1 (Ben Franklin Pkwy) between the Art Museum area at the west end of the Pkwy and Broad Street in the center of Center City Philly. This essentially bifurcates the city. To get to the SC, you need to cross the Pkwy, but it is completely closed to all cross traffic during events such as parades so you can't cross it if you are approaching from the south, such as from I-676. So, if there is a parade, Presidential motorcade, Papal visit, etc. and you are on 95 or 76, you must exit NORTH of the Pkwy and wend your way through the city using local roads. It's confusing and can be daunting if you don't know your way around Philly and you are still likely to encounter some heavy traffic no matter what you choose as your detour.

Thanksgiving and July 4th are the very worst holidays for this type of activity and can affect traffic for a day or two before the actual holidays. But events like the Hungarian parade, Puerto Rican parade, and other lesser known celebrations can really ruin your day if you are not forewarned and have the bad luck to be planning to SC in Philly on that day. It's not like we have parades every weekend, but we have more than most cities. If you are passing through when there is an event, it could really screw you up badly if you get caught in the web.

Other than that, the location seems pretty good to me. Philly is fully developed and thickly settled so there are few good places to build a SC or anything else for that matter. I think they did about as good a job as possible in picking a location that serves both major freeways. It really should be open 24/7 (and may be). If not, that would be my only other complaint.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Hooray! This SC is a much needed link in the chain. It is ~1 mile from I-95 and ~1/2 mile from I-76, the two highways that serve the Philly area. It is very close to I-676, a 2 mile stretch of highway which connects 76 and 95. IMO $5 for an hour is a reasonable fee (less than 2 gallons of gas). Free would be better, but this isn't bad and the SC is just off I-676, so if you are using 76 and/or 95, it is less than a 2 mile detour. It's right on your way.

I have only one caveat; Philadelphia is a Parade crazy city! The local news station (KYW 1060) does a terrible job of warning of parades (pending or even in progress).

E.G., one summer Saturday morning several years ago at about 9:30 a.m. I exited I-676 at 22nd st (the exit you would likely use to get to the SC) and instantly found myself in gridlocked traffic. I know the area well so I eventually worked my way out of the traffic and headed south, opposite the direction of my destination. After almost an hour fighting bumper to bumper traffic, KYW radio FINALLY said "we have reports of heavy traffic in the Art Museum area due to the Hungarian parade." How Shadow Traffic could be oblivious to a scheduled parade and failed to forewarn drivers is beyond my comprehension. My 9 mile trip which usually takes 20-30 minutes ended up taking me 3 hours and almost 20 miles out of my way!

Parades are most always held on route 1 (Ben Franklin Pkwy) between the Art Museum area at the west end of the Pkwy and Broad Street in the center of Center City Philly. This essentially bifurcates the city. To get to the SC, you need to cross the Pkwy, but it is completely closed to all cross traffic during events such as parades so you can't cross it if you are approaching from the south, such as from I-676. So, if there is a parade, Presidential motorcade, Papal visit, etc. and you are on 95 or 76, you must exit NORTH of the Pkwy and wend your way through the city using local roads. It's confusing and can be daunting if you don't know your way around Philly and you are still likely to encounter some heavy traffic no matter what you choose as your detour.

Thanksgiving and July 4th are the very worst holidays for this type of activity and can affect traffic for a day or two before the actual holidays. But events like the Hungarian parade, Puerto Rican parade, and other lesser known celebrations can really ruin your day if you are not forewarned and have the bad luck to be planning to SC in Philly on that day. It's not like we have parades every weekend, but we have more than most cities. If you are passing through when there is an event, it could really screw you up badly if you get caught in the web.

Other than that, the location seems pretty good to me. Philly is fully developed and thickly settled so there are few good places to build a SC or anything else for that matter. I think they did about as good a job as possible in picking a location that serves both major freeways. It really should be open 24/7 (and may be). If not, that would be my only other complaint.

Not just parades, I lived there for 4 years during school. There was a protest around city hall clogging up all the streets every other week during rush hour.

• Informative