Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since this is listed as being completed by the end of 2017 (he said skeptically), I figured it was about time to start this thread.

Anyone have any information on where this location might be? I am speculating that, since Tesla appears to be partnering with Wawa, and there is a new Wawa planned for the Navy Yard in South Philly, this might be the location. The Navy Yard is located right by I-95 and I-76, as well as the Walt Whitman bridge, so it seems like a natural fit.

Reactions: Austral and madodel
When I brought this up a few months ago someone said that it would most likely be off of 95 in Bucks County, not in Philly itself but close to it. While you may very well be right, that is awfully close to the one in Newark Delaware. Though with the Model 3 coming I expect to see superchargers popping up much closer together to handle the volume, and US Tesla Superchargers | Tesla does say Philadelphia not Lower Bucks.:)

When I brought this up a few months ago someone said that it would most likely be off of 95 in Bucks County, not in Philly itself but close to it. While you may very well be right, that is awfully close to the one in Newark Delaware. Though with the Model 3 coming I expect to see superchargers popping up much closer together to handle the volume, and US Tesla Superchargers | Tesla does say Philadelphia not Lower Bucks.:)

They're putting them pretty close all along the 95 corridor now - look at the two new ones in the Maryland rest areas, and now Burlington makes four in a row in less than fifty miles in NJ.

Reactions: madodel
I don't think that Tesla should build a super charger in Philly or Bucks county, if anything, they should build out the SC in Newark DE. Take the hole area in front of the current SC and install 24 more.

What is more important, a Super Chargers every 50 miles or a battery pack that can get you 400 miles per charge?

It absolutely blows my mind that there's no supercharger in Philly, and not even a mention of the anticipated location. After a long day of driving around the city in freezing weather, the battery gets depleted pretty quickly, and I'd like some alleviation of the range anxiety...

When KoP goes in, there will be superchargers away in every major direction, why would you need one in Philly? Don't you have charging at home?
Ahem, not everyone that goes to Philly lives there. The Supercharger buildout now is not just for travel. It is also adding destination Supercharger stations.

It absolutely blows my mind that there's no supercharger in Philly, and not even a mention of the anticipated location. After a long day of driving around the city in freezing weather, the battery gets depleted pretty quickly, and I'd like some alleviation of the range anxiety...

Agreed - when I go to my office in NYC, there are like 5 within 20 minutes plus along the highways leading into the NYC area

Some superchargers have popped up unexpectedly in various cities - Chicago, Boston, Sydney - without people noticing. Either under construction (almost complete) or even fully completed! Check the multi-storey car parks, especially for the hard to reach or rarely used sections.

Its not just the city itself, but it seems like the whole suburban area is devoid of superchargers. (in PA anyway)
I used to live in Bucks county, and still work for a company with my main office in Fort Washington. I'm expecting to get my model 3 soon and was hoping to be able to drive it down to the office. The whole suburban philly area seems like a bit of a wasteland at the moment. I was very surprised. Especially that they don't have anything in KoP yet.
I suppose I can charge in Burlington, NJ on the way in and be ok for a while, but it would be nice if there was some charging that was closer.

Is there some issue with the local utilities not wanting to deal with chargers or something?

Reactions: madodel
I'm sure someone will correct me but when I purchased my Model S the idea of supercharging was so that you can drive from
Philadelphia to say Washington DC, Boston, Miami or even LA. I don't think the superchargers are there so that you can drive
to work. Now , unless you drive 110 miles one way then you would stop at a supercharger on the way back home.
However, if that was the case then I would have my employer put on a destination charger. By the time your ready to head home you would have a full charge and supercharging would not be needed.

Just thinking out loud, Eventually, we will have as many electric fast chargers as there are gas stations today. And, should the range ever get to 500 miles per charge 98% of our charging we be done at home.