Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure someone will correct me but when I purchased my Model S the idea of supercharging was so that you can drive from
Philadelphia to say Washington DC, Boston, Miami or even LA. I don't think the superchargers are there so that you can drive
to work. Now , unless you drive 110 miles one way then you would stop at a supercharger on the way back home.
However, if that was the case then I would have my employer put on a destination charger. By the time your ready to head home you would have a full charge and supercharging would not be needed.

Just thinking out loud, Eventually, we will have as many electric fast chargers as there are gas stations today. And, should the range ever get to 500 miles per charge 98% of our charging we be done at home.

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I actually live in Boston suburbs and have to drive around 300 miles to get to the office.
I'm sure I can make it no problem with the superchargers in NJ, but I was expecting there would be supercharger in the area to be able to charge and drive around if I am there for a couple of days.
I agree that having a destination charger at a hotel would also work fine, but it doesn't seem like there are many hotels in the Fort Washington area that have one. Hopefully Hilton will add one to the Hilton Garden in FW soon.

Reactions: madodel
My daily drive was 1 1/2 mile one way for most of my working life. Are you driving 300 miles a day? because, if you are that is
one hell of a job. All that aside, yes I have a house with a driveway and a place in the back to charge. I understand that if you live
in an apartment in any city it is more difficult and some times next to impossible to charge at night.

Philadelphia at one time allowed you to have a charger in front of your (Row) home as long as you paid the fee and paid for the install. By the way I think that is now discontinued. Our buddies with the ICE's don't have a pump in the back of their house. The original idea was that we would (could) charge at home. I don't think Tesla ever considered someone living in an apartment and having a car.

At some point in time we will have hotels and motels all over the place with chargers and they may even make an effort not to have them ICED. There are parking garages in Philly that have 50 amp chargers I just have not heard of any at apartment buildings located within Philly, there has to be one somewhere.

I think there are two areas that need to be addressed (1) the guy who goes to a supercharger because it's only a mile form his house
and why not get all you can. (2) The taxi driver that buys a Tesla so that he doesn't need to purchase gas. I think this is mostly in Europe. Can you imagine the out cry if Elon said form this day forward everyone pay's at the superchargers. And, in someway
that is coming.

My daily drive was 1 1/2 mile one way for most of my working life. Are you driving 300 miles a day? because, if you are that is
one hell of a job.
I work from home. I head down to the office a couple of times a year.
I guess the working part wasn't really relevant to my comments. Just trying to give the setup of my situation.
I'm mainly just stating that I was surprised that Philadelphia area seems a bit behind in charging capabilities for long distance travelers compared to some other areas on the east coast.

I'll go back to obsessively waiting for my model 3 VIN now.

• Funny
I'm mainly just stating that I was surprised that Philadelphia area seems a bit behind in charging capabilities for long distance travelers compared to some other areas on the east coast.
For traveling, Philly is in great shape. There are around 30 superchargers within 100 miles of Philly, and unlike places in California I've never seen a line at a supercharger around here. There are also a number under construction nearby as well.

For owners in Philly or the surrounding suburbs who can't/don't want to charge at home its not great, although personally I don't think that's what superchargers should be used for.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
For traveling, Philly is in great shape.

If you’re going through or doing a short stay, absolutely. But if you’re taking a 2
-3 day trip into philly, it can be a challenge. The closest chargers to the center of the city take up about 30-40miles of range just to get to and back from. Destination chargers are available but not the most abundant.

If you’re going through or doing a short stay, absolutely. But if you’re taking a 2
-3 day trip into philly, it can be a challenge. The closest chargers to the center of the city take up about 30-40miles of range just to get to and back from. Destination chargers are available but not the most abundant.
I live in the Philly area and, in general, I would agree that most of the time superchargers are far from my mind. But there are days when I am making multiple long trips around the region and I find I have to charge midway through the day. A centrally located supercharger would be invaluable.

There are parking garages in Philly that have 50 amp chargers I just have not heard of any at apartment buildings located within Philly, there has to be one somewhere.

There are. We have been looking at Philly apartments and I'm very surprised by how many have charging stations in their parking garages. They are not listed on PlugShare however, presumably because they are private lots. A couple didn't even mention the chargers on their website, but confirmed to have them. One complex has a public garage attached to it with Blink chargers and they are listed on Blink's map, but not PlugShare for some reason.

There are. We have been looking at Philly apartments and I'm very surprised by how many have charging stations in their parking garages. They are not listed on PlugShare however, presumably because they are private lots. A couple didn't even mention the chargers on their website, but confirmed to have them. One complex has a public garage attached to it with Blink chargers and they are listed on Blink's map, but not PlugShare for some reason.

As I understand it, PlugShare is primarily crowdsourced. I thought they pulled data from Tesla and the big charging networks as well, but I guess those feeds aren't perfect. For private chargers, I see no reason not to add any that you discover, provided you're able to properly mark them as restricted access and add something about the actual restriction like "residents only, need keycard to enter garage" (or whatever it might be) to the description.

WOW - We have traveled >15K miles (route attached) this summer and Philly is the ONLY place that gave us range anxiety! We had to go >1 hour out-of-the way though crap traffic to a destination charger just to get out of Philly. I had to use my mobile charging cord only once and it was in Philly parking garage. I had to pay for a charge only once and it was near Philly (Valley Forge Nat Park). Its like there is a political blockade or some bad Tesla blood feud going on.

Clipboard01.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-07-30.png
    2018-07-30.png
    663.5 KB · Views: 69
WOW - We have traveled >15K miles (route attached) this summer and Philly is the ONLY place that gave us range anxiety! We had to go >1 hour out-of-the way though crap traffic to a destination charger just to get out of Philly. I had to use my mobile charging cord only once and it was in Philly parking garage. I had to pay for a charge only once and it was near Philly (Valley Forge Nat Park). Its like there is a political blockade or some bad Tesla blood feud going on.

View attachment 321741
Sorry to hear. It’s driving some of us locals nuts too. Usually have no need to supercharge locally but on occasion when it’s necessary it sure would be nice.

Still have no idea where it’s going to be

Sorry to hear about the charging black hole around Philly but if that was the only drawback to 15,000 miles then it could have been worse.

P.S. Love the Teslafi map. So many handy features with it. Here was my fun route out to L.A. via a rather scenic route.

upload_2018-7-30_23-37-39.png

Sorry to hear. It’s driving some of us locals nuts too. Usually have no need to supercharge locally but on occasion when it’s necessary it sure would be nice.

Still have no idea where it’s going to be
Center City resident here WITHOUT home charging and agree that Center City Philly needs it NOW! I was at a Philly City Council hearing in April regarding EV Parking and a TESLA Rep. testified that although they will be installing a Supercharger SOMEWHERE in Center City he was not able to identify the location at the hearing.
I frequent Long Island (visiting family) and also Atlantic City so in the six weeks of owning the car we've been to the Woodbridge,NJ location enroute from the NYC area (LOVE this location; there's a Wawa AND an Aldi grocery store) and Egg Harbor,NJ when returning from AC.
The Florence,NJ supercharger (Bordentown) will become quite handy once the NJ Turnpike/PA 95 Connector becomes live this Fall.

For occasional Level 2 top offs within Center City we have used the Mom's Organic Market parking garage at 11th & Market (2 hrs free with $4 purchase-parking tkt stamp) (4 stations if I remember correctly) and also the Whole Foods Market Parking Garage located at 22nd & Hamilton. Unlimited time until closing but there's only 2 stations.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and gavine
Well some encouraging news.. there is a new sueprcharger right outside of Philadelphia in Brandywine, DE (Claymont) which is basically as close to the Pennsylvania/Philadelphia area border as you can possibly get whilst still being in Delaware.

It’s all but conclusively indictative of PECO’s lack of willingness and/or grid capability to get a Philadelphia Supercharger up and running.

I have to add that I’ve been an active commercial and residential real estate developer in the area for about 10 years and DELMARVA Power is just about as incompentent as utilities come - so the fact that it’s apparently easier for Tesla to work with DELMARVA to build Supercharger locations leaves me incredulous.

Shame on PECO..

• Informative
Reactions: North75 and madodel
I caught a glimpse of a TV commercial last night during the Sixers game (I wasn't paying much attention during the commercials) for PECO and they mentioned electric car charging. I tried finding the commercial on YouTube but I didn't see it there. I wish I had paid more attention to it.

I have to add that I’ve been an active commercial and residential real estate developer in the area for about 10 years and DELMARVA Power is just about as incompentent as utilities come - so the fact that it’s apparently easier for Tesla to work with DELMARVA to build Supercharger locations leaves me incredulous.

Compared to PEPCO and BGE, DELMARVA power is one of the best utilities I have dealt with. Look how fast they connected the supercharger in Lewes and Grasonville (Annapolis and Baltimore SCs have been waiting on BGE for months now). Personally, I had excellent service from them. The underground main that feeds my property broke one day at 3am, by 7am they have installed a whole house generator and by 5pm they completed the installation of a new150 feet main. Also when I had my solar panels installed, they processed all the paperwork pretty fast.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
Compared to PEPCO and BGE, DELMARVA power is one of the best utilities I have dealt with. Look how fast they connected the supercharger in Lewes and Grasonville (Annapolis and Baltimore SCs have been waiting on BGE for months now). Personally, I had excellent service from them. The underground main that feeds my property broke one day at 3am, by 7am they have installed a whole house generator and by 5pm they completed the installation of a new150 feet main. Also when I had my solar panels installed, they processed all the paperwork pretty fast.

They once had to lay a new NG main for me from street to structure for a retail development I was doing - they fractured a water main for the entire block and then connected the new NG line to someone else’s meter. Their solution? Reconnect that person’s line to my new meter. I paid his gas bill and he paid mine. I have 20 stories like this.

• Funny
Reactions: Galve2000