Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phillipsburg, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
A hearing before the Pohatcong Township Land Use Board to approve an 8 stall Supercharger at Wawa on US-22 in Phillipsburg, NJ is scheduled for 7:30 PM, Feb. 13, 2018 according to the following news report.

Tesla Motors plans 2nd 8-car charging station in the Lehigh Valley area

Supercharger site Phillipsburg, NJ.png

Link to map.

Nice! Anyone know who the power company is out there? Hope we aren't dependent on PSE&G otherwise we could be looking at a long drawn out process like at the Jersey City and Woodbridge locations.

Apparently they are the reason for the hold up at both locations!

Odd that this doesn’t show up on Tesla’s supercharger list, I wonder if they only put it on once the plan is approved.

Also there is one planned for Bridgewater NJ. Anyone know where?

My first guess for any new chargers is to look for their contracts and desire to be near major highways. These stick out to me:
- Wawa in Bridgewater
Stores | Wawa
- Ruby Tuesday’s
Ruby Tuesday - Bridgewater, NJ

The Wawa would make more sense being right off 287.

There is a new WaWa convenience store/gas station being built at the Somerville Circle (Picture where the teepee was by the rundown hotel below the overhead bypass). If the circle were a clock (with Pure North as 12:00) the new WaWa is going in at roughly the 8 o'clock position. Intersections of Rte 28/202/206. There is also a new mall/Whole Foods/restaurant complex nearing completion at Rte 22 and Chimney Rock Rd. Easy enough access to both 22 & 287 with the requisite amenities. Obviously there is the Bridgewater Commons Mall and the Wegman's complex on Rte 202 South.

There is a new WaWa convenience store/gas station being built at the Somerville Circle (Picture where the teepee was by the rundown hotel below the overhead bypass). If the circle were a clock (with Pure North as 12:00) the new WaWa is going in at roughly the 8 o'clock position. Intersections of Rte 28/202/206. There is also a new mall/Whole Foods/restaurant complex nearing completion at Rte 22 and Chimney Rock Rd. Easy enough access to both 22 & 287 with the requisite amenities. Obviously there is the Bridgewater Commons Mall and the Wegman's complex on Rte 202 South.
The Somerville Circle (as much as I hate navigating it) would be very convenient for 22/202/206/287 drivers, though from your description, technically the new Wawa would be in Raritan, not Bridgewater. The new complex at 22 & Chimney Rock would probably be a better option in terms of traffic flow. Yes, the mall is obvious, but it would have many of the same problems the Edison supercharger has in terms of congestion.

The Wegman's complex also has the Ruby Tuesday that @Yinn mentioned. It's a bit inconvenient for travelers on 22 & 287 but otherwise a good option. The Wawa that @Yinn mentioned is off Chimney Rock Rd and would be pretty convenient. And speaking of contracts/partnerships, there's also a Hilton Garden Inn nearby -- that wouldn't be a great location on its own unless you're staying there, but it's right between a few places to eat (McD, Applebee's, Chuck E Cheese :D) and a big-box shopping center (Target, Costco, etc).

I didn’t know that Hilton had a supercharging partnership with Tesla, but speaking of that shopping center. I put in a couple suggestions for superchargers in the NJ/PA area and that shopping center was one that I suggested.

The parking lots there would have plenty of space. I also drove by the Wawa by chimney rock and it almost seems like the back area by the air pump is reserved for superchargers.

I don't know the extent or any details of their partnership, but there's this article focused on destination chargers:
Tesla to expand charging station program with Hilton hotels to up to 200 chargers

And I do know there are quite a few superchargers at Hilton-branded properties. The ones I can find from a quick(ish) Google search include Wausau WI, Columbia SC, Rocky Mount NC, Redondo Beach CA, Port Huron MI, Venice Italy, Heyuan China, Dundee UK, Heathrow Airport UK, Lima OH, Tremonton UT, Denver CO, McAllen TX, and Loveland CO.

I also forgot to mention the new Hampton Inn on Route 22 in Bridgewater as another possible location, though that's even less convenient in terms of walkable food and shopping.

I’m almost positive I saw a QuickChek sign at this location and not Wawa. I drive by here daily...

I was expecting to read an update about Phillipsburg...but it ended up being somerville. Started a new thread for the Bridgwater location. I would appreciate it if a Moderator could move the posts over to keep this for phillipsburg.

*Sigh*.
Still no sign of them starting. I go past here about once a month. Will check but I won’t post again unless I see something happening. (The WAWA parking lot isn’t that big. There is so much more room behind them.)