Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Piedmont, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by this morning. Absolutely nothing going on at the Spinx or Pilot Travel Center (or QT for that matter). It is a pretty good sized Spinx with space in the back corner for a SC. I agree it will likely be the Spinx. It says Q1 2022 on the new SC map as I said above, so one would think Tesla has this one primed and ready to go soon. I'll check back next week.

It seems like an odd spot but I'll take anything we can get in SC.

I'd really like to see the I-85 corridor dotted with superchargers.
Almost anything in the entire upstate all the way to Columbia is a take it or leave it proposition as they have no partners (except maybe Spinx now). They are building another one in Gastonia on I-85 as well so they are definitely trying to fill it in more. The Greenville one on Woodruff Rd sucks and is clearly a legacy SC.

Reactions: jsight
Contacted Anderson County to get a copy of the permit and appears there isn't one at the Spinx, at least yet. I did not ask about the Pilot Travel Center, however.

1643908346196.png

New update below. River Road is exit 39 and is Powdersville on side of the exit and Piedmont on the other. I will stop by this evening and take a look around that exit. It must be a local business owner where the new SC is going...the VGO gas station and liquor store looks like the only choice? There may not be any progress yet if the contractor hasn't signed the permit yet also.

Stay tuned!

1643912274612.png

There is no construction or movement of anything outside at the gas station yet. I spoke to the clerk inside and he confirmed they are definitely getting SC and are just waiting on Tesla to come out and install it. Permit hasn’t been signed yet per my previous post either.

There is room in the back corner for a SC and it will probably be eight stalls. But it was dark and raining so this could be a unicorn four or six stall site. Hard to say for sure though.

Lots of strong anecdotal evidence but no hard evidence yet! I’m going to try and get a copy of the permit tomorrow from Anderson County.

Great job, thanks Jeremy! More attention to the busy I-85 corridor. Looking forward to your photos tonight.
@ChrisC The River Road location is the site you and I discussed on the EV club of the south FB forum (Jan 3). You used one of my pictures to update Plugshare. It's CCS/ChaDeMo, not a Tesla supercharger. I imagine the person at the permit office could get confused about charger stations, or perhaps there is not permit for a Tesla supercharger, yet. It's not unusual for Tesla to remove a "planned site" during a map update if things don't work out.

Last edited:
I submitted a FOIA request for a copy of the actual permit on the suggestion of the “chief of permitting“ that I was emailing with :)
Good idea. My guess is it won't say "Tesla". There are 4 boxes on site that have chargers in them and are marked CCS/ChaDeMo.
I suppose it's possible that Tesla would co-locate with another brand, but I don't think that particular property has enough room. By the way, there was a truck there that was labeled "Tiger Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions" and phone number 855-808-Tier. Website is TierEV.com

Good idea. My guess is it won't say "Tesla". There are 4 boxes on site that have chargers in them and are marked CCS/ChaDeMo.
I suppose it's possible that Tesla would co-locate with another brand, but I don't think that particular property has enough room. By the way, there was a truck there that was labeled "Tiger Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions" and phone number 855-808-Tier. Website is TierEV.com
The Fair Play, SC supercharger is co-located with other charging stations so it's not that unusual.

I'll see what permit I get back but I specifically asked about Tesla and I asked the store clerk inside and he said "yeah we are waiting for Tesla to come out and install it."

I agree a layman may assume Tesla = electric vehicle and there are no other choices lol.

Last edited:
@ChrisC The River Road location is the site you and I discussed on the EV club of the south FB forum (Jan 3). You used one of my pictures to update Plugshare. It's CCS/ChaDeMo, not a Tesla supercharger. I imagine the person at the permit office could get confused about charger stations, or perhaps there is not permit for a Tesla supercharger, yet. It's not unusual for Tesla to remove a "planned site" during a map update if things don't work out.
Are you perhaps confusing 2501 River Rd, which is the Shell gas station (a Powdersville address), with 2401 River Road, which is the VGO gas station (a Piedmont address)?