Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pigeon Forge, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an Atlanta-area resident who regularly visits GSMNP, I am very happy to see a new "coming soon" supercharger listed in Pigeon Forge. Supercharge.info does not yet have any information about it, but Tesla is estimating Q3 2021, so more info should certainly be out on location and permits fairly soon.

Now if they could put in a supercharger in Franklin, NC, and one in Boone or Blowing Rock, NC trips to the Smokies and Blue Ridge would be MUCH more convenient in a Tesla. As it stands now, the charging infrastructure in East TN and Western NC is just not great outside of the I-75 corridor and Asheville.

Funny to hear this. I will be there the 2nd week of June (probably not built yet) but I don't see the need for me anyway. Plenty of options for slow charging if staying there and SpC's are relatively close in different directions when coming or leaving.
Yeah, I doubt it will be built quite that soon. I'm curious which direction you're coming from and heading toward? Always along 75 or 40? If on 40, it looks like a Pilot Travel Center near Waynesville is getting a DC fast charger (CCS and Chademo) soon. That could be a nice backup option for people with a Chademo adapter or if Tesla ever releases a CCS1 adapter.

I would have personally preferred if they put the supercharger in Gatlinburg since that's where I always stay vs. Pigeon Forge, but I understand why Pigeon Forge makes more sense for Tesla. Pigeon Forge vs. the existing "Knoxville" charger will cut the time to get a full charge from Gatlinburg down from at least 2.5-3 hours down to 1-1.5. For me, that's the difference between my wife being ok with taking a Tesla on that trip vs. taking an ICE car/hybrid.

Coming from north Atlanta metro (and not off I-75 corridor), I have always gotten to that area via 985 and through Franklin and Cherokee. It's a MUCH more pleasant drive than I-75. It's prettier, there are far fewer semi trucks, and you can avoid the disaster that is Chattanooga traffic. There's a huge wasteland of superchargers, or even DC fast chargers generally, in that area north of Atlanta and between Chattanooga and Asheville, but it's a pretty popular area for vacations and most in that area will not have slow charging available to them at night.

I'm also frequently heading to or from Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Having to drive from Gatlinburg all the way to Knoxville to charge up before heading south from Gatlinburg just simply isn't a viable option. Until there are more slow charging options in Gatlinburg itself, there's a big need for a supercharger in Sevier County. There's also, IMO, a need for one somewhere in one of Franklin-Dillsboro-Cherokee-Bryson City. Franklin, IMO makes the most sense but any of that area would probably work just fine.

Rivian specifically mentioned the Blue Ridge Parkway as an area of emphasis for their RAN. I wonder if Tesla will try to match that to negate the selling point for Rivian. The RAN map looks like it's got a fast charger in or near Nantahala Gorge, 1 on each side of 441 through GSMNP, 1 in Asheville, and 1 in Boone-Blowing Rock area. With Pigeon Forge getting a Tesla supercharger, they could probably get away with just 1 south of GSMNP and 1 in Boone-Blowing Rock to completely eliminate the possible RAN advantage in the southern half of the BRP. Nantahala Gorge is probably a little more "adventure" oriented than Tesla needs to worry about.

EDIT: I also meant to ask if you knew of any slow chargers in Gatlinburg that might work as well. The Blink station at Bennett's seems to be the only one actually in downtown Gatlinburg. It does seem fairly reliable, but might be prone to ICE'ing. Unfortunately, the stations at the two GSMNP visitor centers are always down. Sometimes the AC charger will work, but the one at Oconaluftee seems to get ICE'd somewhat frequently during high season, from what I've seen driving by.

Yeah, I doubt it will be built quite that soon. I'm curious which direction you're coming from and heading toward? Always along 75 or 40? If on 40, it looks like a Pilot Travel Center near Waynesville is getting a DC fast charger (CCS and Chademo) soon. That could be a nice backup option for people with a Chademo adapter or if Tesla ever releases a CCS1 adapter.

I would have personally preferred if they put the supercharger in Gatlinburg since that's where I always stay vs. Pigeon Forge, but I understand why Pigeon Forge makes more sense for Tesla. Pigeon Forge vs. the existing "Knoxville" charger will cut the time to get a full charge from Gatlinburg down from at least 2.5-3 hours down to 1-1.5. For me, that's the difference between my wife being ok with taking a Tesla on that trip vs. taking an ICE car/hybrid.

Coming from north Atlanta metro (and not off I-75 corridor), I have always gotten to that area via 985 and through Franklin and Cherokee. It's a MUCH more pleasant drive than I-75. It's prettier, there are far fewer semi trucks, and you can avoid the disaster that is Chattanooga traffic. There's a huge wasteland of superchargers, or even DC fast chargers generally, in that area north of Atlanta and between Chattanooga and Asheville, but it's a pretty popular area for vacations and most in that area will not have slow charging available to them at night.

I'm also frequently heading to or from Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Having to drive from Gatlinburg all the way to Knoxville to charge up before heading south from Gatlinburg just simply isn't a viable option. Until there are more slow charging options in Gatlinburg itself, there's a big need for a supercharger in Sevier County. There's also, IMO, a need for one somewhere in one of Franklin-Dillsboro-Cherokee-Bryson City. Franklin, IMO makes the most sense but any of that area would probably work just fine.

Rivian specifically mentioned the Blue Ridge Parkway as an area of emphasis for their RAN. I wonder if Tesla will try to match that to negate the selling point for Rivian. The RAN map looks like it's got a fast charger in or near Nantahala Gorge, 1 on each side of 441 through GSMNP, 1 in Asheville, and 1 in Boone-Blowing Rock area. With Pigeon Forge getting a Tesla supercharger, they could probably get away with just 1 south of GSMNP and 1 in Boone-Blowing Rock to completely eliminate the possible RAN advantage in the southern half of the BRP. Nantahala Gorge is probably a little more "adventure" oriented than Tesla needs to worry about.

EDIT: I also meant to ask if you knew of any slow chargers in Gatlinburg that might work as well. The Blink station at Bennett's seems to be the only one actually in downtown Gatlinburg. It does seem fairly reliable, but might be prone to ICE'ing. Unfortunately, the stations at the two GSMNP visitor centers are always down. Sometimes the AC charger will work, but the one at Oconaluftee seems to get ICE'd somewhat frequently during high season, from what I've seen driving by.

Not in Gatlinburg, but if you have some time, there's destination chargers at the REI in Pigeon Forge. There's also one at the Titanic museum. They also recently built a large station with Chargepoint L2 chargers in the Pigeon Forge Public Parking Lot

Really can't help much.. My experience is when traveling 'thru' locations - I focus on SpC's. But if staying in one location, even 110v is enough (overnight). Since most of my local "visit" doesn't require more than 100 miles/day.
But to answer your question... on my 45 state tour, I will be coming south thru the west side of Virginia (I-81) from DC/West Va area to just a bit of I-40 to Pigeon Forge. Two days there with some family also visiting, then heading over to Brevard via Asheville to overnight before heading down the mountains to edge of South Carolina, Georgia, Fla panhandle then west back towards Ca.
So... topping off with 110 or 220 in PF heading to Asheville for SpC love, then 110 or 220 overnight in Brevard, then back on the SpC circuit rest of trip.

Reactions: Autolycus
Yes, I was checking this out! Thanks for bringing it up.

I went up from Florida in November 2020 with our first MYP and the stretch from the “Knoxville” SC to our cabin in Pigeon Forge and backs again was a bit much. I didn’t enjoy myself much since I was worrying a bit about being able to get back.

Went down the mountain to Tanger Outlets to charge, but it was so slow I was only able to rack up enough miles to get back up to the cabin.

I’m going back up at the End of May 2021 and I’m taking both of our Model Y Ps. I have another cabin and while we may be able to do 110V overnight, I’ve also purchased a SETEC CCS1 adapter so that I can explore charging at the Electrify America Chargers in Kodak. If we can top of there, it will be much more relaxing. If not( then we can try the public lot on Teaster Lane.

Yes, I was checking this out! Thanks for bringing it up.

I went up from Florida in November 2020 with our first MYP and the stretch from the “Knoxville” SC to our cabin in Pigeon Forge and backs again was a bit much. I didn’t enjoy myself much since I was worrying a bit about being able to get back.

Went down the mountain to Tanger Outlets to charge, but it was so slow I was only able to rack up enough miles to get back up to the cabin.

I’m going back up at the End of May 2021 and I’m taking both of our Model Y Ps. I have another cabin and while we may be able to do 110V overnight, I’ve also purchased a SETEC CCS1 adapter so that I can explore charging at the Electrify America Chargers in Kodak. If we can top of there, it will be much more relaxing. If not( then we can try the public lot on Teaster Lane.
FWIW, the REI in Pigeon Forge has 6 destination chargers that are free and seem to have consistent charging rates. Lots of positive reviews on Plugshare just this week with 10-11kw. Still not as good as a supercharger, but may be better for you than having to drive out to the Knoxville one just for a charge.

That should help. I'm curious if the SETEC adapter has improved? In the past it seems like the rates were comparable to the CHAdeMO adapter.

FWIW, the REI in Pigeon Forge has 6 destination chargers that are free and seem to have consistent charging rates. Lots of positive reviews on Plugshare just this week with 10-11kw. Still not as good as a supercharger, but may be better for you than having to drive out to the Knoxville one just for a charge.
Daaaaang thank you!! Man that’s amazing, added to my itinerary, and get to visit REÍ!

Cheers m8 thanks!

That should help. I'm curious if the SETEC adapter has improved? In the past it seems like the rates were comparable to the CHAdeMO adapter.
Apparently it has improved quite a bit. There is a thread about it here!! Seems to be a bit stable. Or stable enough. When the official Tesla one comes out I’ll sell the Setec and buy that instead :)

Not fantastic first few pages, but the last few were promising enough for me to snag it.

Reactions: jsight
It depends on the vehicle model. For Models S/X the Setec adapter will give up to ~80 kW charging (assuming the charging station can provide that much). For Models 3/Y it's limited to 50 kW just like the CHAdeMO adapter Tesla sells. More info on this is available in the thread SQLDev just linked above.

Reactions: Big Earl
It depends on the vehicle model. For Models S/X the Setec adapter will give up to ~80 kW charging (assuming the charging station can provide that much). For Models 3/Y it's limited to 50 kW just like the CHAdeMO adapter Tesla sells. More info on this is available in the thread SQLDev just linked above.
Oh yes good call, thanks for the clarification. I was walking and reading so I thought the question was about reliability and consistency vs speed.
Agreed, 50kW for 3/y seems like the best bet but I am more than good with that!

cheers!

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot this wasn't the Y forum. It sounds like there isn't a huge advantage over CHAdeMO for us Y owners at this point.

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot this wasn't the Y forum. It sounds like there isn't a huge advantage over CHAdeMO for us Y owners at this point

I agree, I wanted to buy the official chademo but it was sold out on the Tesla site. Regardless, in my area the CCS ones outnumber the chademos by quite a bit! And it seems that the EA stations have all CCS and only 1 or 2 chademos per site.

Looks like this will be the next pre-fab installation like we saw in Beaver, UT. From that project sheet PDF:

"PROPOSED TESLA PRE-ASSEMBLED SUPERCHARGING UNIT (PSU) CONSISTING OF (1) CHARGING CABINET, (4) CHARGEPOSTS , AND (3) SIGN POSTS PER PSU, ALL FACTORY INSTALLED ON PRECAST CONCRETE FOUNDATION. TOTAL OF (3)PSUs W/ (3) TOTAL CABINETS AND (12) TOTAL POSTS. SEE CHARGING POST SCHEDULE THIS SHEET FOR SIGN TYPE."

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.37.29 PM.png