Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pigeon Forge, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are not transformers, those are the actual Superchargers (the pedestals at the parking spots are not much more than fancy cable holders, although at least now they contain the cooling for the V3 cables).

The 3 charging units contain the AC/DC converters and essentially the "power supplies" (DC/DC converters) for the Superchargers.
So there is still one MAJOR piece of equipment not installed / connected, huh? And that could be a biggie if they still need to 'bring power' to that location...

So there is still one MAJOR piece of equipment not installed / connected, huh? And that could be a biggie if they still need to 'bring power' to that location...
Possibly/probably. It's hard to tell if something's "missing" based on the pictures (it could just be out of frame). Always helps to have someone knowledgeable on site to definitely state one way or another.

The thing about the transformer is that that's the responsibility of the utility, so yes, may not move at the same pace as Tesla. And also big transformers are probably long lead-time items. Still, I imagine that Tesla would be aware of the overall project schedule and not deploy a V3 site to a location that won't get a transformer for 2 months. Like I said, they have gotten this down to a science and are probably deploying their V3 equipment to sites that are either already ready for power or they know they will be in good time.

Sometimes things can Look nice and tidy from the outside, But inside those cabinets could just be a jumble of cables not hooked up yet. The charger my me looked this “done” for almost 3 weeks. I’m visiting Dollywood this weekend so I would LOVE for this to be up and running, but I highly doubt it.

Reactions: jsight and FMinMI
It's hard to tell if something's "missing" based on the pictures (it could just be out of frame). Always helps to have someone knowledgeable on site to definitely state one way or another.
Something's missing (highlight from @Galucha's recent pics):

Pigeon Forge, TN.jpg

That's the pad for the utility transformer. There are some conduit stubs sticking up in the middle that have been covered with a tarp or trashbags that are taped in place while they wait for it to show up.

View attachment 674095

That's the pad for the utility transformer. There are some conduit stubs sticking up in the middle that have been covered with a tarp or trashbags that are taped in place while they wait for it to show up.
Good catch. Didn't notice that when I was out there. Definitely something covered up in a tarp.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Possibly/probably. It's hard to tell if something's "missing" based on the pictures (it could just be out of frame). Always helps to have someone knowledgeable on site to definitely state one way or another.

The thing about the transformer is that that's the responsibility of the utility, so yes, may not move at the same pace as Tesla. And also big transformers are probably long lead-time items. Still, I imagine that Tesla would be aware of the overall project schedule and not deploy a V3 site to a location that won't get a transformer for 2 months. Like I said, they have gotten this down to a science and are probably deploying their V3 equipment to sites that are either already ready for power or they know they will be in good time.

View attachment 674095

Rats. That's a biggie...

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Wow, these new pre-fab v3 installs are getting installed crazy fast! I mean it isn't online yet but it looks like all the Supercharger pedestal work is done in what, 1-2 weeks?

I would think they would have different teams for each section of the install.
  • SC pedestal install and wiring hand-off to local utility (Construction and electrical engineers)
  • Final tweaks and Inspection, power up high voltage to pedestals.
Now this 1st install team can move onto a new location while they wait for the local utility to hook up the transformer and paint the lines on the property and then the 2nd team can come by once that is finished to get the site online.

Looks like they are opening about 1 new site every 1-2 days now (supercharge.info), I cant wait for the 2021 Q3 update to the official supercharger map to see what new locations are coming. I would hate to be the competition 😹

(P.S The Durham NC location was originally estimated to open Q3 2021 and it opened up this week on 6/15/21, not too bad to have it open 2-3 months earlier than expected👍)

I’m really hoping this takes some pressure off the Knoxville charger. I’ve been through Knoxville 4 times now in the past couple months. I’ve had to wait at that charger every single time. V2 chargers just really bog down when full.

They really should have left the temporary four-stall location by the Calhoun’s at the waterfront for a little bit longer. It’s a real challenge trying to serve travelers, locals and visitors with the lone supercharger just west of town.

I’m really hoping this takes some pressure off the Knoxville charger. I’ve been through Knoxville 4 times now in the past couple months. I’ve had to wait at that charger every single time. V2 chargers just really bog down when full.
If you check the site, there’s also another Knoxville charger coming live this year.

Screenshot: you can see the existing Knoxville SUpercharger in red to the left.

Thank you, good news. Will be visiting area in month so pressure off trip for charging locations. For me, Superchargers are game changers. Cross country trip in the fall, plans keep changing as these high powered chargers are added along the routes planned. Way to go Tesla!