TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger placement to prevent ICE'ing ?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by ElectricTundra, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ElectricTundra

This photo is of the Jackson MS superchargers (posted by @randall_s ).

[​IMG]

This layout would seem to do a better job of preventing ICE'ing as I'd guess many people will be less likely to park here than in a space with the typical back-in layout of chargers on the curb.

I very much prefer back-in to front-in though. 1) Back-in is much less likely to result in a collision. 2) If I'm sitting in my car while it's charging I prefer looking out towards 'stuff' rather than having my back to 'stuff' and staring at a wall, dumpster, or whatever else is often in that direction.

I wonder if modifying this slightly and moving the chargers closer to the curb would still provide some ICE'ing protection while also providing back-in parking would work?

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the location of the SC units is more of the problem than the pavement painting, if you place the units too close to where the people want to get to you will have an icing problem, put the SC units in an out of the way less desirable location and icing would be lessened

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

The new Napa Superchargers are being setup this way.

4. ElectricTundra

I'm guessing we'll see more and more of them. I like the idea I just much prefer to back in rather than pull in forward. I'll give them an A for effort, D for execution.

5. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Elsewhere on this forum, someone pointed out that in snowy and icy regions that need plowing, the pedestals are better off the roadway and parking area so that plows can come through without damaging the pedestals.

Here's a link to a nice paint job that is very communicative: Supercharger - Fresno (went LIVE 01-29-2016)