Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Placerville, CA - Broadway (LIVE Aug 30, 2019, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody messed up the layout of this site. The parking space with the two skinny pylons blocking it is served by two pedestals, one for head-in parking and one for back-in parking. Oops. The other set of spaces has the head-in pedestal correctly placed in an otherwise unserved parking space.

12 chargers total.
I did not catch this by looking at the first set of pictures. With the the additional pictures it became obvious.

That's a lot of chargers for this small area. Tesla must really think this is going to be a heavily used charging location which surprises me since it was put in in stealth mode. But if you are going to Tahoe this is a lot better than either Folsom location IMHO.

I also worry about congestion and competition with regular shoppers but I rarely go by here so don't know if this an issue or not. A few times I have pulled into the Starbucks it has been a bit crowded and the worst time was when Rite Aid was selling Christmas trees in the parking lot taking up a lot of spaces.

I see two perpendicular spaces, one that you would leave your tow vehicle blocking the entrance or the driveway, the other you could leave it along the curb so less obstructive. Still, compared to the time it takes to unhitch, worth a little navigational inconvenience to others in the lot. And surely better than blocking ALL the spaces like they use to have to do in the early tow hitch days.

I see two perpendicular spaces, one that you would leave your tow vehicle blocking the entrance or the driveway, the other you could leave it along the curb so less obstructive. Still, compared to the time it takes to unhitch, worth a little navigational inconvenience to others in the lot. And surely better than blocking ALL the spaces like they use to have to do in the early tow hitch days.
No one who tows with a Tesla ever has to block any Supercharger stalls, at this location or any other location. They can always unhitch. I speak from experience. If I do not unhitch to charge it is only because I will not be blocking anyone.

At this new Supercharger, based on the photos posted, I would always unhitch before charging. I may come to a different conclusion when I visit the Supercharger for the first time, or maybe not.

I formally apologize to the community. I live within 2 miles of this Supercharger and I visit the shopping center frequently. I never saw it being built!

Attachments

• 2F6C9A55-541D-4183-AC57-A05298BF9302.jpeg
    2F6C9A55-541D-4183-AC57-A05298BF9302.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Funny
Reactions: luwx and bmah
We stopped in Placerville a number of years ago as part of our exploring Gold Country. Started in Sonora and think we got as far north as Placerville before we were running out of vacation time and had to head back. Lots of great gold country through there to explore. Had wanted to make it to Grass Valley, the Empire Mine and the Malakoff Diggins. Anyway remember stopping at the Gold Bug mine, the Hangman’s Tree and eating in town.

I know there’s a thread on Sonora being a SC location (haven’t checked recently if permit was found finally) but having one there and Placerville at the northern end would be great for exploring this section of Calif Gold Country. Great trip for families with kids, we’ve been there a few times with friends and my parents and older aunt enjoyed it too (Columbia State Park with the old town and gold mine there). One time we went for a summer concert in Murphys (Ironstone Winery). So while some might be scratching your head over SCs located “off the beaten path” so to speak, it’s just that you don’t know the wealth of exploring one can do here. Great food, gold panning, some great caverns, Calif gold country history. Beautiful gently rolling country that was a pleasure to drive and that was before we had a Tesla! Placerville is a perfect location IMO for SCs.

It has one of the biggest malls I have ever been to.
That's Roseville not Folsom.
I had never been in the Palladio "mall" except once, just to see what the SC were like, until the other day even though I have driven by hundreds of times. I was amazed at how expansive it was.

It's kind of like the auto version of a mall.

For those who think this is a lot of superchargers around Folsom - this is to make trip over Sierra mountains possible. Elevation gain of 7000' eats a lot of battery for people who travel to Tahoe on US50 and on I-80 to Tahoe and Reno. Traveling from Bay Area (where most Teslas reside) to Tahoe is impossible on one charge, and charging congestion around Folsom is quite possible on weekends or holidays.

Elevation gain of 7000' eats a lot of battery for people who travel to Tahoe on US50 and on I-80 to Tahoe and Reno.
I live just southwest of Placerville and make many trips up skiing to the 7000 ft crest each winter. I leave the house at 90% SoC and generally get to Sierra @ Tahoe with about 40% remaining at best case. On the way back down I only need 10% to get home. In fact I don't use any of the battery on the return trip until I am about 15 miles from home. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA
I live just southwest of Placerville and make many trips up skiing to the 7000 ft crest each winter. I leave the house at 90% SoC and generally get to Sierra @ Tahoe with about 40% remaining at best case. On the way back down I only need 10% to get home. In fact I don't use any of the battery on the return trip until I am about 15 miles from home. :D

I've met a person who frequents Sierra-at-Tahoe that is coming from Cameron Park. Usually gets to the resort with 10-15 miles left. I let him have my charging spot every time because I typically can make it home.

We skipped that one today because of the reduced service and orville fire.
If you mean the Swedes Fire east of Oroville, that’s only 400 acres as of yesterday and it’s a hundred miles or so from Placerville. Not sure what the connection is to this Supercharger.

Just wanted to point this out in case someone read your post and thought that the reduced service at the Placerville Supercharger was due to a wildfire as far as I know. There was a small 85 acre fire at Hwy 193 and Penobscot Rd, about 30 miles north of Placerville, but it is 100% contained and so not a threat according to 2019 Fire Season Outlook | Welcome to CAL FIRE

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn
If you mean the Swedes Fire east of Oroville, that’s only 400 acres as of yesterday and it’s a hundred miles or so from Placerville. Not sure what the connection is to this Supercharger.

Just wanted to point this out in case someone read your post and thought that the reduced service at the Placerville Supercharger was due to a wildfire as far as I know. There was a small 85 acre fire at Hwy 193 and Penobscot Rd, about 30 miles north of Placerville, but it is 100% contained and so not a threat according to 2019 Fire Season Outlook | Welcome to CAL FIRE
More likely it was the Walker fire, but you are correct nevertheless. There is no fire danger in the placerville vicinity at the moment that i am aware of, i apologize for the mistaken impression. We were in chico at the time and were contemplating going to placerville when we saw all the smoke and fire on the hillside as well as the reduced service indication. That's when we decided not to chance it given we were returning to the bay area that evening. There will be another opportunity in the future to go by this charger.