Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Placerville, CA (Missouri Flat Rd., LIVE 15 May 2021, 8 V3 stalls + Magic Docks)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

E00C1667-EDF4-4851-A3C7-74E8149A3491.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone want to swing by and check out the magic docks? You should be able to unlock and inspect and take pics of the dock without starting charging or incurring fees by following the instructions above.

The above picture is great but doesn’t show the actual adapter out of the dock.

Anyone want to swing by and check out the magic docks? You should be able to unlock and inspect and take pics of the dock without starting charging or incurring fees by following the instructions above.

The above picture is great but doesn’t show the actual adapter out of the dock.
I'd also be curious what would happen if you unlatch the Tesla connector prior to the step that unlatches the Magic Dock connector. In other words, if I show up with somebody else's Tesla, or one that I got through Turo, and want to use my own app, would I be able to select "charge your non-Tesla," go through the same procedure except for unlocking the CSS adapter, and then plugging it into a car once it thinks that it's billing whatever car is plugged in to the account associated with the app, rather than from a handshake with the car? I could imagine also wanting to do that if I rented from Hertz or somebody else, even if they have their own way of allowing Supercharger use, so I could keep track of my usage better.

I'd also be curious what would happen if you unlatch the Tesla connector prior to the step that unlatches the Magic Dock connector. In other words, if I show up with somebody else's Tesla, or one that I got through Turo, and want to use my own app, would I be able to select "charge your non-Tesla," go through the same procedure except for unlocking the CSS adapter, and then plugging it into a car once it thinks that it's billing whatever car is plugged in to the account associated with the app, rather than from a handshake with the car? I could imagine also wanting to do that if I rented from Hertz or somebody else, even if they have their own way of allowing Supercharger use, so I could keep track of my usage better.
I have to believe there is some kind of interlock that would prevent the magic dock from releasing if the NACS connector is removed from it, and by extension whatever software handshake there is when you select "charge your non-Tesla" in the app does. But who knows.

Actually it would probably be beneficial for Tesla to work out a scheme for allow this kind of thing, even at regular Supercharger sites. In addition to the scenarios you suggested, with more and more Teslas on the road, it is probably more likely that people may loan out their vehicles to friends & family and the borrower (or borrowee) may want to (or be told to) pay for their own charge. Kind of like when I borrow a vehicle I try to fill it up with gas before I return it.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
I have to believe there is some kind of interlock that would prevent the magic dock from releasing if the NACS connector is removed from it, and by extension whatever software handshake there is when you select "charge your non-Tesla" in the app does. But who knows.

Actually it would probably be beneficial for Tesla to work out a scheme for allow this kind of thing, even at regular Supercharger sites. In addition to the scenarios you suggested, with more and more Teslas on the road, it is probably more likely that people may loan out their vehicles to friends & family and the borrower (or borrowee) may want to (or be told to) pay for their own charge. Kind of like when I borrow a vehicle I try to fill it up with gas before I return it.
I think that what Tesla is trying to avoid is having people show up at stations without Magic Docks and expecting to be able to charge, so they don't want other stations to show up on the map. Having "charge your non Tesla" and "charge a different Tesla" options would work. Likewise when the time comes, registering an adapter in the app (essentially checking a box, but trying to avoid it happening by mistake) can allow the entire network to show up, unless Tesla is concerned about cable length problems at older chargers.

Doubtful. The charge non Tesla implies CCS so it releases the dock but keeps it attached to the NACS. Otherwise, it would be easy to swipe the Magic Dock.

Yes, but that’s not how Tesla app works. Would be a nightmare to track cars separately from users. Look at all the other charging apps and software that don’t work.

Once Tesla introduces a standalone NACS to CCS adapter for Ford and Chevy and whoever, and they have access to all SC stations, then this would be a possibility.

Yes, but that’s not how Tesla app works. Would be a nightmare to track cars separately from users. Look at all the other charging apps and software that don’t work.
Sure, not now, but that's why I said that Tesla should "work out a scheme", implying a future capability, not current. And of course, the default should be to just plug in and charge, but with a way to override and pay using a different method. It doesn't have to be any more difficult than how it works today with users using the magic dock. Not that that's seamless, but it's the price you pay if you want/need to charge using an alternate payment method.

What? No, the grey locks mean you can unlock a Tesla destination charger, the new ones that support billing for power. I know I post a lotta BS here, it's specifically so I can learn from someone who knows the actual answer, but you could have just touched one of the locks to find out. So again, those are NOT CCS chargers, they are Tesla Destination Chargers

IMG_0174.jpeg

What? No, the grey locks mean you can unlock a Tesla destination charger, the new ones that support billing for power. I know I post a lotta BS here, it's specifically so I can learn from someone who knows the actual answer, but you could have just touched one of the locks to find out. So again, those are NOT CCS chargers, they are Tesla Destination Chargers

View attachment 951524
Ahh, like you said, that is why you post here, to learn new things. I was unaware of the locked destination chargers showing on the app.

I am still confused as to how someone charging a non Tesla has something other than a CCS or J1772 plug on their car. And seeing how J1772 is the AC part of CCS you can’t have CCS without J1772. Therefore, the supercharging for non Tesla implies CCS. Since these are all j1772 destination chargers it still fits.

Randy, how do those locks appear on the app/computer screen? All I see are the red pins with available stalls and grey pins indicating some sort of wait time.

I don't see locks anywhere. I don't see destination chargers that are adjacent to Superchargers (like downtown Sac and the new SC in Barstow), either.

Randy, how do those locks appear on the app/computer screen? All I see are the red pins with available stalls and grey pins indicating some sort of wait time.

I don't see locks anywhere. I don't see destination chargers that are adjacent to Superchargers (like downtown Sac and the new SC in Barstow), either.
On the app tap your account profile on the top right then select charge your non Tesla.

Reactions: israndy

Yeah, this is showing all the J1772 Destination chargers and super chargers with Magic Docks. Separate part of the app from the charging section tied to your Tesla vehicle under location.