TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger: Plainview, NY (Long Island)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by zimownage, Mar 26, 2018.

1. N54TT

N54TT Member

I get wanting to solely supercharge if you have unlimited...but that’s not what superchargers were developed for. Potentially taking a spot for someone thats traveling and really needs to get somewhere sucks.

I’m using a tesla signature wall charger at home. If you don’t live in an apartment I don’t get why people wouldn’t have a charger installed and do the majority if not all charging at home....it’s SUPER convenient and IMO one of the best parts about owning an EV.

2. Pkatz

Pkatz Member

I use L2 at home. It works great. I charge at night and commute in the AM. Generally I only charge to 70-80% of capacity. I have the long range battery option. Repeating what I said in my original post, I think Tesla brings these chargers down periodically by design.
    The only times that aren't busy at the Plainview station is very late at night and very early in the AM.

Otherwise, most to the local Tesla owners are lining up to charge there to save the cost of charging at home since they presumably have free charging. If Tesla wanted to ensure that these superchargers were only used for travel, which would be a wise move to ensure that this valuable resource is available to people who really need it, they would be well advised to qualify their unlimited supercharging so that it would only be free when using a supercharger at least 15 or 20 miles from your home. I'm sure they could program the cars to make this happen and they might see the wisdom in this one day if the abuse continues.

It's important that these superchargers are available for people far from home who have no choice but to supercharge to reach their destination, that's the whole purpose of having the network. It's ridiculous to me that locals use them as their primary charging source, but I guess it's their Tesla given right as long as they own their cars.

3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Active Member

I avoid this SCer location in favor of Islandia when heading east, but prefer it when heading west b/c i'll generally have an emptier battery in Plainview vs Islandia. The nearby Starbucks is a nice perk too. and yes, just like the early NJ SCers (not to mention Syosset) it is always locals getting free juice rather than charging at home at this location.

there was this one time heading east out of the city where I sweat it a bit w\ range anxiety getting to Islandia instead of Plainview but the east-bound exit to Plainview on the LIE was blocked off and it was too risky to go to the next exit and double back instead of heading on to Islandia. i needn't have worried in the end, but it was an interesting experience that actually made me miss Syosset.

4. iRia

iRia Member

I had to go out that way last weekend. Man this was an inconvenience having the charger down. I ended up at green acres mall which is always a horror show. Every single rule of the road is broken there. Even JFK supercharger is better.

5. iRia

iRia Member

I don’t really think there are that many free unlimited supercharging cars at the superchargers. Most who show up are model 3s and most model 3s are pay per use supercharging. So the number of people who use it because it’s free is pretty small.

Also a lot of pre model 3 owners have home charging.

And how do you qualify “home” anyway? I have my home with a wall connector but I also stay at another home a few days per week. There is no level 2 charging there as the electric doesn’t support it. I charge at work but sometimes when going somewhere I need to stop at the supercharger which is 5 miles away.

I would think the inconvenience factor of spending an hour at a supercharger would deter most from using it as free electricity.

However, urban 72kw superchargers are the solution for those who don’t have home charging. Tesla needs more of those in areas where people can’t install a wall connector.

6. BZM3

BZM3 Member

Confirmed that this SC was down today 1/14/2020... unlike a previous time that this SC was out of commission, there was no advance warning via the Tesla navigation system. Which was super annoying...

7. lensovet

lensovet Member

Has anyone called in to report it? If the in-car nav thinks it’s all hunky dory, odds are HQ thinks so too.

8. Pkatz

Pkatz Member

While you would think the inconvenience of charging at a supercharger would deter those looking for free supercharging, it clearly does not. Most chargers in Plainview are the S’s and X’s, but yes there are Model 3s there too. I would also think that Tesla’s warnings that using the Superchargers wears down the battery faster than the home chargers would dissuade people from using them except when necessary for travel.

I often find people with the greatest financial resources are the most frugal, so it doesn’t surprise me at all that someone would spend 100-130k on a Model X and then try to save a dollar or two a day on electric costs for charging at home, even at a slight inconvenience to themselves, by using free supercharging as their primary means of charging their cars.

Anyway, Tesla seems to recognize the issue and is dealing with it in a passive/aggressive way, at least that remains my theory, because they have neither increased the number of chargers to end the wait times in Plainview, and they constantly bring them off line for unspecified reasons, while chargers 15 miles east and west of that location are virtually never down for days on end for “maintenance” or other unspecified reasons.

9. sjg98

sjg98 Member

FYI
    Not sure when this happened, but the Plainview supercharger price jumped since the last time I used it a month ago from 27c/kWh to 37c/kWh

• Informative x 1
  10. sjg98

sjg98 Member

This has to be the worst charger on LI.
    Was full as usual, except today no one was able to charge faster than 11kW .. gave up after Starbucks pit stop and left.
    There was no indication of reduced service on the map when I navigated from there.. otherwise would have stopped in Islandia or back in the city. Really need more full speed super chargers off the LIE.

• Like x 1