Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger: Plainview, NY (Long Island)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plainview is looking good on this long weekend and Starbucks is OPEN!

I couldn’t resist getting my STI in the pic...
23B8C22A-323B-48FE-8B3E-26552BDB4C4E.jpeg

Reactions: Acps110
Had my first Supercharger experience today!

Question: 4B kept blinking blue (when plugged in) and eventually the car stopped trying. So, I moved to 3B and the car quickly went to blinking green and charged up. When I came out to leave a Model S (see pic) was at 4B, sitting inside the car and I assume charging. So, is 4B faulty or did it just not like my M3?

I can't resist...

IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG

Reactions: Acps110
I stopped by this location yesterday with a whole lot of range anxiety...

picture me driving at 51 mph on the LIE while everyone else was zooming by at 75 mph.. poor Tesla..

The saddest part was that the left most speed lane was the way to go for a smooth uninterrupted TACC experience. I tried AutoPilot but the Nav screamed bloody murder that it was consuming too much energy on AP bc it was being all safe and prudent. Anyway.. I did the last 10 miles in the right lane (which was less efficient bc of all the cars entering the highway at variable speeds.. but I felt bad doing 51 mph in the left lane with so many cars behind me, and no one in front of me.. )

"Stay bellow 50 mph to make it to your destination," the nav kept scolding.. but I knew, I KNEW that I would make it.. never mind that I couldn't concentrate on my really good audio book and had to switch to the radio b/c I kept looking at my "instant" range on the Tesla graph..

But I made it to Plainview SCer with 3 rated miles to spare. it's only 6 miles further east than Syosset but, by God, I MISS Syosset SCer... even tho it was always, ALWAYS full.

the Nav screen mentioned that there was 1 of 8 stalls available. (Great.. crappy SCer speeds here we go!!)

of course when I rolled up there were ZERO available SCer stalls available...

but the Tesla community is kind.. within several seconds, a Model X pulled out..

this is, BTW, my experience with the full Syosset SCer.. within a few min.. someone comes out and moves their car so I can charge..

it's funny what we can communicate with just our blinkers...

I was wondering.. how can I make these people understand that I have 3 rated miles "in the tank" and I NEED a charge...?

(let's play a game: who looks like they have the fullest battery?)

(let's break out the megaphone: I really am a very nice person.. but I need a charge WAY WAY WAY more than you do right now.. you feel me?? ...i'd write all the nasty things I was really thinking here.. but this post would get flagged.. and what good would that do?)

I am now convinced that paid supercharging is a MUST.. even as I enjoy my free SCing for life... but enjoy wouldn't be the word for what I experienced yesterday. I should have just paid the $30 for an overnight charge at a destination charger a block from my home to not have to deal with all this SCer drama. a full tank.. door to door.. with innumerable stops for errands along the way. totally worth my $30..

you live and you learn...

so I plugged in.. and my SCer speeds did eventually reach 97 kW.. (and on the drivers side screen 97/98 kW kept bopping up and down... which is confirmed by my TeslaFi stats.. ) 98 kW eventual max is not bad.. and yet.. there is nothing like hitting 118 kW early on.. even if it is just for a minute or 2...

so.. 98 kW max.. although we started a bit timidly.. all in all I recharged 100 RM in 30 minutes. for an average charge rate of 200 mph.. hardly earth-shattering.. but with all the SCer stalls occupied.. what can one expect?

my masterplan was to stay for only 15 minutes.. but I had not added 50 rated miles in that time.. tho I had added close to that..

could I have left after 20 min of charging? sure... but with more errands to run before hitting Islandia SCer.. and with the pups in the back seat needing remote heating.. I opted to stay for the full 30 min. in the end I could have skipped Islandia SCer and just chawed out eat at my summer home.. but then how could I regale you all with my most informative reviews? (just saying')

in the end, my average was 80 kW.. which for a battery that rolled up with just 3 miles of range.. is not not great.. but better than Urban SCers.. so I am pleased.

moral of this story is 2 fold.. Tesla needs a SCer 10 miles further east along the LIE. Plainview SCer is way too crowded b.c it is in an exurb location. Iselandia, NY SCer (full review to follow) was MUCH MUCH less busy. Plainview had tons of locals. and lets not forget its 25 F temps in NY right now (and feels like 17 F)

next time I will stop by queens center SCer. I had no idea it was just off the highway. I feel kinda stupid and i'm surprised the Tesla Trip planner "beta" did not try to route me thru queens center..

actually scratch that...

I took the Triborough into Queens so I met the LIE east of this SCer... and I would have by-passed it already.. silly me. usually I take the 59th Street bridge, but I was way uptown running errands (and blowing through more rated miles than I should have given my pending trip east..) so the Triborough was faster/closer than the 59th st bridge or the Midtown Tunnel.

My advice to anyone passing through the area in Plainview where these superchargers are is that they not rely upon them to be available, especially during 12-7 of each day. This supercharger location is close to my home so I’ve had the opportunity to observe it frequently. I generally charge at home with a home Tesla charger, but once in a while I use it when I stop by the local Starbucks to grab a coffee. The Plainview supercharger is an example of the problems that so many cars having free supercharging has created, and why Elon was wise to put an end to that promotion. Local residents literally line up to charge at one of the 8 superchargers regularly because they have the unlimited supercharging benefit. Most of those i see lining up are Model X owners. First, it amazes me that someone who spent, over 100k on a car (probably more like 125k or more) would be so frugal that they would line up for 30-60 minutes to get to a supercharger rather than just charge at home because the cost of electric relative to the time you have to sit around is really not worth it. Second, it seems like none of these owners have heeded the warning that constant supercharging will reduce the life of the batteries in the vehicle. Third, I feel bad for the people who really need supercharging to get to the destination that might either be traveling from far out on Eastern Long Island to the west, or those coming from the West looking for a quick charge so they can make it out to the Eastern end. There are some ChargePoint free locations around that might be better options for those traveling out east or from east to west for the time being until more superchargers are installed on Long Island.

My advice to anyone passing through the area in Plainview where these superchargers are is that they not rely upon them to be available, especially during 12-7 of each day. This supercharger location is close to my home so I’ve had the opportunity to observe it frequently. I generally charge at home with a home Tesla charger, but once in a while I use it when I stop by the local Starbucks to grab a coffee. The Plainview supercharger is an example of the problems that so many cars having free supercharging has created, and why Elon was wise to put an end to that promotion. Local residents literally line up to charge at one of the 8 superchargers regularly because they have the unlimited supercharging benefit. Most of those i see lining up are Model X owners. First, it amazes me that someone who spent, over 100k on a car (probably more like 125k or more) would be so frugal that they would line up for 30-60 minutes to get to a supercharger rather than just charge at home because the cost of electric relative to the time you have to sit around is really not worth it. Second, it seems like none of these owners have heeded the warning that constant supercharging will reduce the life of the batteries in the vehicle. Third, I feel bad for the people who really need supercharging to get to the destination that might either be traveling from far out on Eastern Long Island to the west, or those coming from the West looking for a quick charge so they can make it out to the Eastern end. There are some ChargePoint free locations around that might be better options for those traveling out east or from east to west for the time being until more superchargers are installed on Long Island.

I also live close by, do all of my charging at home but have stopped by a few times just to test it out. Not sure if this is done during the day.....but at night I have even noticed people would leave their cars as they’re charging and then have someone drop them back off to pick up their cars. My assumption is that they live close by and don’t want to sit in their cars. If that really is the case, sucks for people who really need to charge to get to their destination.

I am local and I DO at times charge here. Usually, between 10-12 A.M. during the week and I have not seen it full once. But yes, it is a busy charging station due to the lack of more options. Syosset Service Center SC has been taken off the map.

The Plainview supercharger is down along with 3 of the 4 others on Long Island (6/15/19). I have a home charger but wanted to use some of my referral miles. Anyone have any idea about if these outages last a long time? Anyway to tell? I know New Rochelle has been out forever, I hope Plainview isn’t going to be more of the same :(

Attachments

• 1F198C7F-4117-4A70-8FB3-765CE8FE059F.png
    1F198C7F-4117-4A70-8FB3-765CE8FE059F.png
    456.3 KB · Views: 51
The Plainview supercharger is down along with 3 of the 4 others on Long Island (6/15/19). I have a home charger but wanted to use some of my referral miles. Anyone have any idea about if these outages last a long time? Anyway to tell? I know New Rochelle has been out forever, I hope Plainview isn’t going to be more of the same :(

I saw this on my app too. Has anyone stopped by?

has this been posted on PlugShare?

I meant to stop here on Friday with a car full of family. Thank god I decided to suck it up and charge the night before at a destination charger... I would never hear the end of it. EVER.

I wasn't driving so I although I pointed the SCers out to everyone on the MCU.. I did not ask someone to click on it to see how many stalls were in use. thank god.

does anyone know if this is also true of Islandia, SCer?