Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plano, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting because everyone has always said it's not about who arrives first at 'shared stalls' but who has the lowest charge. So if I'm at 40% and someone arrives at 15% and shares with me, my charge rate will drop drastically to accomodate them. Has this changed?
Ok, I went ahead of myself a bit. My understanding always was like this:

1) Maximum output of the shared pair of SC stalls is ~ 120 kW (might be more in future)
2) The cars start with CC (constant current) charge at first, then switch to CV (constant voltage) later - I don't have data on what that point exactly is
3) Depends on the SoC (state of charge) of each car the paired SC will split the maximum output between the two cars, bu taking 2) into consideration. At certain point your car will limit the amount of "juice" flowing in, leaving more for the 2nd car.

So It matters, but to certain point (e.g. if you are in a hurry or plan to continue your journey ASAP) - if both cars are parked and drivers take a break for eating or shopping then it is not as important. Hopefully they watch the app or time to get back to their car before it starts sitting idle.

As a rule of a thumb, it is good to leave the adjacent stall (that is part of the pair) empty if other ones are available, since you don't know the SoC of the other car. A common SC courtesy :)

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I’ve been looking to confirm this, so I greatly appreciate the info! I arrived with a low SOC and thus was expecting the high KW to start out but after only getting 72 I was a little worried. And it didn’t help that I also didn’t know they aren’t shared stalls, so when ppl kept parking right next to me instead of skipping one I was like please nooo :( lol
Got a good candid out of it though. Really liked the location!
View attachment 293844 View attachment 293845

The new "Urban" Superchargers have a lower max kW than the typical ones located along the highway. 72 kW is the max. They are supposed to be put in places where you can charge and go do something else (shop, eat, etc.). The good thing is that they are not paired/shared like the ones along the highway, so at least you are more likely to get the full power no matter where you park and not sharing power with another user.

From Tesla's website:
Superchargers in Urban Areas
Tesla is installing Superchargers in urban areas where city dwellers and out of town visitors can easily charge. These stations are placed at convenient locations like grocery stores, downtown districts, and shopping centers so charging fits seamlessly into your life.

That's interesting because everyone has always said it's not about who arrives first at 'shared stalls' but who has the lowest charge. So if I'm at 40% and someone arrives at 15% and shares with me, my charge rate will drop drastically to accomodate them. Has this changed?
No that’s not what everyone says, and it’s not correct. It’s always been first car gets the max it can and 2nd car gets the rest. As first car tapers the power to the second car will increase. This idea of not wanting someone to park at your paired stall is silly. It lowers their charge rate but does not affect yours. By the way the paired stall may or may not be next to you. You have to look at the labels.

Reactions: jerry33
2D8D76B7-3B68-4C26-B9EB-7B39CCB3D56C.jpeg
Here’s a photo of the trash can, thanks.