Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am there now. There are a bunch of workers working now. I can post a dash cam video if people would like to see updates progress from a few days ago.
Wow! - Workers working on it on a Sunday morning.

I'm taking delivery of my P90D in Dania Beach on Tuesday and I'll drive past there on my way home. Maybe it will be the 1st car to charge in Plantation.

Bill,

Just picked up my P90DL yesterday at Dania. What color is your car I bet I saw it in the delivery area was it white or red?. They do a very good job of explaining the car and take all the time you need. I drove across the alley after my pickup yesterday and love the cruise features very cool. In fact, the whole car is really cool.

Bill,

Just picked up my P90DL yesterday at Dania. What color is your car I bet I saw it in the delivery area was it white or red?. They do a very good job of explaining the car and take all the time you need. I drove across the alley after my pickup yesterday and love the cruise features very cool. In fact, the whole car is really cool.

Congrats!

So who is going to check out this site??

Bill,

It's white and we took delivery today. We are planning a trip across the alley next week and we're looking forward to exploring the differences between this car and our old classic RWD Silver P85 (maybe it qualifies for an antique license plate).

On my way home from delivery, I stopped by the Fountains and a half dozen guys were very busy on the Supercharger site. I would estimate at least another 2 weeks before it opens. Parking around the site was very crowded at 4 pm on a Tuesday. I hope that's not a prelude to a future problem with ICEd chargers.

Parking around the site was very crowded at 4 pm on a Tuesday. I hope that's not a prelude to a future problem with ICEd chargers.

Speaking of being ICEd, does anyone know what the final signage is going to say (assuming that Plantation finally did allow them to put up some signage for the parking spaces)? At one point, one of the conditions Plantation imposed was removal of the signs altogether. I would hope they came to some sort of agreement to display signs to restrict parking in some manner (30-min. parking only, electric car charging only, etc.).

Speaking of being ICEd, does anyone know what the final signage is going to say (assuming that Plantation finally did allow them to put up some signage for the parking spaces)?

Why yes, I do! I was there today.

IMG_20150923_135033.jpg

IMG_20150923_134509.jpg

IMG_20150923_134513.jpg

IMG_20150923_134518.jpg

IMG_20150923_134549.jpg

IMG_20150923_134622.jpg

IMG_20150923_134653.jpg

IMG_20150923_135026.jpg

I took some pictures a few hours after aviators99 so there's no point in posting them. Observations:

* Moved the tree/ICE graveyard. I was worried about it.
* Surprised to see at least 7 of the 8 signs say "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only" because I heard this was a sticking point with the developer or Plantation like GeekLad said.
* No FP&L work yet, and I'm still not sure where they are going to connect to the grid. There is a utility cover right next to the site so maybe there.
* The streetlights are out in this somewhat isolated corner of the parking lot. It's a little dark.
* Glad they got most of the holes filled before yesterday afternoon's deluge.
* Ate at Smokey Bones. It's average at best.
* I don't see this getting finished this month at all.

Last edited:
* Ate at Smokey Bones. It's average at best.

LOL On my top 3 worst places to eat in Plantation.

3rd Cowboys
2nd Smokey Bones
1st Primanti Bros

I am supposed to be in the loop as to when the switch on date is via the City of Plantation so if and when they give me the date I will post it here.

I was hoping to get the switch on party arranged on that date but Larry suggested waiting till it is up and running, I was thinking maybe we can get a few cars together to celebrate (and be the first to "plug in" in Plantation) when someone gets the word (-;

As I have not heard any new suggestions for places or times to hold this upcoming party I will go ahead and assume it will be a Saturday afternoon 12ish at Duffy's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why yes, I do! I was there today.

Awesome, thanks for those pics! I'm really glad to see they finally allowed them to put the signs up and even allowed the electric vehicle charging only restriction.

- - - Updated - - -

* Surprised to see at least 7 of the 8 signs say "Tesla Vehicle Charging Only" because I heard this was a sticking point with the developer or Plantation like GeekLad said.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see that as well.

Awesome, thanks for those pics! I'm really glad to see they finally allowed them to put the signs up and even allowed the electric vehicle charging only restriction.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see that as well.

The city still has to approve everything when it's done, so if they don't like the signs they might change. It's possible that they eventually allowed them, but I never saw that on the record...

The city still has to approve everything when it's done, so if they don't like the signs they might change. It's possible that they eventually allowed them, but I never saw that on the record...

Let's hope they allow them to stay as-is.

For those that have been on-site, have you noticed if the cables are the new, thinner, liquid-cooled variety, or are they the regular big fat ones? It's a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks as though they may be the regular cables.

Jorge, I was out there on Friday to take a look specifically about your question...they used the older designed cords.

That's unfortunate, I would have thought all new Superchargers would come with the new design. Maybe they had the equipment sitting in a warehouse since late last year, waiting for the city of Plantation to get it together. It looks like Tallahassee got the older cables as well, from what I can tell in the photos.

That's unfortunate, I would have thought all new Superchargers would come with the new design. Maybe they had the equipment sitting in a warehouse since late last year, waiting for the city of Plantation to get it together. It looks like Tallahassee got the older cables as well, from what I can tell in the photos.

Cooled cables still being tested.

Why would you have thought that? They haven't been installed at any new supercharger outside of Florida either, only Mountain View where they're being tested.

Why would you have thought that? They haven't been installed at any new supercharger outside of Florida either, only Mountain View where they're being tested.

Because Tesla stated in the Q2 shareholder letter that they are going to be retrofitting existing Supercharger sites with the liquid cooled cables:

the Q2 Tesla Motors Shareholder Letter said:
We are also retrofitting sites with our new liquid-cooled charging cable to allow even faster Supercharging capabilities that we plan to introduce over time.

I (incorrectly) assumed that meant they'd also be building new ones with it, since that would be easier and cheaper than retrofitting them.

Last edited: