Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Tesla stated in the Q2 shareholder letter that they are going to be retrofitting existing Supercharger sites with the liquid cooled cables:

I (incorrectly) assumed that meant they'd also be building new ones with it, since that would be easier and cheaper than retrofitting them.
They will, just not yet. I don't recall the reference but it said somewhere that the new cables would be tested at Mountain View for 6 months. With Tesla time, it's unlikely we'll see them until well into 2016.

Yesterday in my way back from West Palm I stopped to check on the supercharger, it was raining so hard I couldn't get out of my car but it looks really good, it shouldn't be too long before it is open, and you all are right, if Tesla achieves a faster way to charge that would be awesome.

Attachments

• SuperchargerPlantation.JPG
    SuperchargerPlantation.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 157
Based on that last picture, seems like the far right charger is the one you want to go to if the stall is open, because you're guaranteed to not have anybody sharing the charger with you!

All of the stalls are paired, so there's no guarantee you'd never be sharing chargers. Each pair is marked #A/#B. Some Superchargers have them paired side by side (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B), and some have them split (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B). I believe that most if not all new Superchargers use the split configuration, and they no longer use the side-by-side.

Looks awesome. The construction company did a nice job and the electric company. The Tesla Supercharger's look perfect and almost done. The Brick Wall looks nice and strong. The tree on the right looks awesome as well. The company and town who supported this piece of work, thank you. Thank You Tesla and the company's involved toward the project.
Ron M 3

Could one of you local folks look around and see if there is a transformer and/ or a meter?
All the electrical is in that brick structure they built.
Plastic tarp over big square unit and then a wall of electrical panels front to back on the right side inside the brick structure.
Nobody there at 2:30pm.

Plantation Supercharger enclosure s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All the electrical is in that brick structure they built.
Plastic tarp over big square unit and then a wall of electrical panels front to back on the right side inside the brick structure.
Nobody there at 2:30pm.

That brick structure is the "Equipment Enclosure." The transformer goes out side of the Equipment Enclosure, but usually very nearby. Look for the large, green transformer. It will usually have markings like 480/277V and 750 or 1000 kVA.

Here is an annotated picture from a couple of years ago that shows the parts:

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Someone just talked to a newly arrived crew at Denton, TX and the crew said they came from Plantation. So the only holdup here will be the electrical connection to the grid. Some sites have had long delays due to both the lack of a transformer and the actual connection, both dependent on the local power company.

Hey Guys,

Just got a pleasant surprise, saw a supercharger across the LA Fitness on University in Davie. It's not open to the public yet but looks ready so shouldn't be too long. It will be great for anyone who works out there, leave the car to charge and go work out, it's literally across the street.
IMG_7196.JPG
IMG_7197.JPG