Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised if one opens up past Aventura (to alternate from East vs. West of SoFlo counties) and really close to where I-95 ends. It's a long way to the Keys from the Plantation Supercharger!
For a few days the planned service center for Coral Gables showed Supercharger also. Now it shows service center plus store. It seems logical that a Supercharger would be near the end of I95 or Florida's Turnpike, optimally near the Dolphin so there would be easy access for travelers using either North-South route. It does seem most logical to place near easy east-west access to serve both Miami and Miami Beach destinations also. From that perspective anywhere around MIA would seem the optimal balance.

Yes, according to EVTripPlanner driving at the speed limit it will only take 138 rated miles to travel those 135 miles between the Plantation and Marathon Supercharger Stations.

Larry
For what it is worth, people unfamiliar with driving in the Keys are often unaware that the predominate speed limit is 45 mph. Even speeding the actual range will be much better than on faster roads. My last trip from Miami to Marathon had 265 whmi. From Plantation to the end of the Turnpike or I95, depending on your choice, is 30 miles or so. Even S60 will have no problem on this route unless there is severe weather.

It seems logical that a Supercharger would be near the end of I95 or Florida's Turnpike, optimally near the Dolphin so there would be easy access for travelers using either North-South route. It does seem most logical to place near easy east-west access to serve both Miami and Miami Beach destinations also. From that perspective anywhere around MIA would seem the optimal balance.
Hi JC,

I assume that you are referring to the Dolphin Expressway.

What do you think about locating a Supercharger Station at the Dolphin Mall?

That's about 35 miles from Plantation and about 25 miles from Miami. Is that too far away from Miami?

Dolphin Mall.jpg

Larry

Hi JC,

I assume that you are referring to the Dolphin Expressway.

What do you think about locating a Supercharger Station at the Dolphin Mall?

That's about 35 miles from Plantation and about 25 miles from Miami. Is that too far away from Miami?

View attachment 105652

Larry
yes, I was. The Dolphin Mall is 8.2 miles from Coral Gables, about 12 miles from Miami Beach. That was the location I was thinking about, not least because there are large parking areas with little use. From that location all Miami area destinations are simple, and it is exactly at the Dolphin Expressway intersection with Florida's Turnpike so is very convenient for dope headed to and from the Keys.

since the Plantation location is already showing signs of peak hour congestion the Dolphin Mall location could alleviate some of that pressure.

I would personally prefer something closer to South Miami, but for the intended purpose of Superchargers, supporting long distance travel, the Dolphin Mall would be better. Besides there are quite a lot of Destination chargers, CHAdeMO and level 2 throughout the Miami area.

Need a new site already. Just stopped and all but one spot occupied. Slowed charging.
one pulled out and another pulled tight in. Busy sight. Definitely a marketing sight for passersby.
Up in Jacksonville Tesla placed the Superchargers correctly prevent locals from overusing them to for local area charging. Kingsland and St. Augustine are 40 miles from downtown. It's not worth it to just charge for Jacksonville owners. Even during the Christmas rush it was just the occasional car or two. The trouble with the Plantation location is that it is in heart of urban zone thus subjected to abuse by locals which should be charging at home. A better location would have been on the Sawgrass/I-75 corridor which is used to bypass Miami to and from the Keys. Miami has numerous destination chargers even at lower price hotels that I have used.

Up in Jacksonville Tesla placed the Superchargers correctly prevent locals from overusing them to for local area charging. Kingsland and St. Augustine are 40 miles from downtown. It's not worth it to just charge for Jacksonville owners. Even during the Christmas rush it was just the occasional car or two. The trouble with the Plantation location is that it is in heart of urban zone thus subjected to abuse by locals which should be charging at home. A better location would have been on the Sawgrass/I-75 corridor which is used to bypass Miami to and from the Keys. Miami has numerous destination chargers even at lower price hotels that I have used.
I agree. That is why I suggested the Dolphin Mall for a Miami-area location. A quick visit to Mountain View, CA shows how wild it can get when locals depend entirely on Superchargers.

yes, I was. The Dolphin Mall is 8.2 miles from Coral Gables, about 12 miles from Miami Beach. That was the location I was thinking about, not least because there are large parking areas with little use. From that location all Miami area destinations are simple, and it is exactly at the Dolphin Expressway intersection with Florida's Turnpike so is very convenient for dope headed to and from the Keys.

since the Plantation location is already showing signs of peak hour congestion the Dolphin Mall location could alleviate some of that pressure.

I would personally prefer something closer to South Miami, but for the intended purpose of Superchargers, supporting long distance travel, the Dolphin Mall would be better. Besides there are quite a lot of Destination chargers, CHAdeMO and level 2 throughout the Miami area.

and for those of you not in Miami, 12 miles could mean 1.5 hours at the wrong time of day. I can't imagine someone going from 95 to Dolphin Mall at 530 pm on a work day - especially if they didnt know any better and needed to charge.

and for those of you not in Miami, 12 miles could mean 1.5 hours at the wrong time of day. I can't imagine someone going from 95 to Dolphin Mall at 530 pm on a work day - especially if they didnt know any better and needed to charge.
To further elaborate; even Waze cannot help too much with alternate routings because so many people are now using Waze. Formerly ideal surface street routings are now often clogged with other Wazers. That said, a a former resident of a few famously congested areas (e.g. LA, lower Manhattan, central London (inside Congestion area)) Miami is less difficult than are those places. Still I refuse to drive anywhere much in Miami during major rush hours unless I am opposing the predominate traffic flow. Some places even that will not work.

I would love to see a supercharger at Dolphin mall! I don't live in Miami, but I do visit there and since I'm on the west coast of Florida taking I-75 to Naples and then getting on 41 to cross the state to Miami puts the Dolphin mall right on the way both entering and leaving Miami (also gets me out of driving on I-95)

The trouble with the Plantation location is that it is in heart of urban zone thus subjected to abuse by locals which should be charging at home.

This aint California mate

I like to think the locals around Plantation (and I've meet most of em) have a little more consideration for people that actually may need these chargers.

Then again I could end up eating my words but I am sure usage will be well documented if it gets abused.

I like to think the locals around Plantation (and I've meet most of em) have a little more consideration for people that actually may need these chargers.

Then again I could end up eating my words but I am sure usage will be well documented if it gets abused.

Thanks, Brightonuk.

You may have just saved me from a off-topic rant about the self-appointed supercharger police . . .

On a more positive note, I've seen two different Model X's in the past two days. Pretty amazing considering how few are in the wild . . .

Last edited:

just the other day when we were all together for the Supercharger inauguration there were only two of about a dozen Model S around. Larry had asked us locals t be considerate We were.