Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pleasanton, CA - Johnson Dr. (LIVE 30 Apr 2019, 10 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. Stands are in. It is an Urban Supercharger. Looks like they are getting it finished. I hope it opens soon.

20190406_071250.jpg 20190406_071258.jpg 20190406_071352.jpg 20190406_071421.jpg

Was there again today. Lots of workers all over. A lot doing cleanup like putting the dirt back in place and sweeping sidewalks and parking lot. Also, 4 or so electricians working on the cabinets. I did not want to get in the way so only got a few shots.

At one time they had 3 guys on ladders working on these cabinets.
20190408_092924.jpg

Also, noticed the handicap parking spot with a tall sign. Very thoughtful Tesla.

20190408_093022-van.jpg

When I went there yesterday the site was complete and the construction crew had just striped the parking lines, taking photos of their work and said, PG&E would need to power it up; they anticipated 2 weeks.
All the Tesla Parking signs state: "General Parking".
I guess this works for late-evening and early-morning charging (non-residential area). However, I anticipate this could be a nightmare for a Tesla owner seeing all stalls available but arrives to an all Ice'ed charger site during the lunch hour; Taco Bell close by...

Pleasanton S-Charger 4-26-19.jpg
This was the same crew that installed the San Ramon - Crow Canyon Urban chargers,

Reactions: jboy210
More images. We are so close. I tried plugging in but only got "Check Charger" message. Arggh.

Hopefully, only a few more days and we can eat Double-Double Animal Style from the In-n-Out across the street, or chicken sandwiches from the Chic-fil-a behind In-n-out while charging. Decisions, decision, ... .

Car-charging.jpg
Charger-with-wrapped-cable.jpg
Chargers.jpg
charger-specs.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
More images. We are so close. I tried plugging in but only got "Check Charger" message. Arggh.

Hopefully, only a few more days and we can eat Double-Double Animal Style from the In-n-Out across the street, or chicken sandwiches from the Chic-fil-a behind In-n-out while charging. Decisions, decision, ... .

View attachment 401188 View attachment 401189 View attachment 401190 View attachment 401191

Oh, that is interesting. I don't claim to have seen all of the layouts super chargers may have but this is the first one I have seen with the boost / buck transformers on top of the charging cabinets. Definitely takes less ground space this way.

Oh, that is interesting. I don't claim to have seen all of the layouts super chargers may have but this is the first one I have seen with the boost / buck transformers on top of the charging cabinets. Definitely takes less ground space this way.

I have to ask, what is a boost/buck transformer? And there is a another series of power cabinets next to the other cabinets. Maybe PG&E equipment?

Power-Cabinets.jpg

I have to ask, what is a boost/buck transformer? And there is a another series of power cabinets next to the other cabinets. Maybe PG&E equipment?

View attachment 401197
That second set of cabinets near the superchargers are the switchgear, which is basically the industrial equivalent of your main breaker panel at home. It houses the fuses, switches, and disconnects. The smaller boxes that Jerry was talking about are autotransformers. They are used to buck (lower) or boost (raise) the voltage by a small amount (and hence sometimes called buck/boost transformers). They basically help Tesla keep the line voltage within the limits that the supercharger cabinets like best.

Reactions: jboy210
Cool! Where are they normally? In the switching cabinets?
It's less common to see the autotransformers stacked on top of the supercharger cabinets like that, but it's certainly not unique. I've seen it in pictures from a handful of different sites across the country. Sometimes they are mounted on a H-frame structure. But most often they are on the ground on a separate part of the concrete equipment pad, sometimes next to the switchgear and sometimes next to the supercharger cabinets.

It's less common to see the autotransformers stacked on top of the supercharger cabinets like that, but it's certainly not unique. I've seen it in pictures from a handful of different sites across the country. Sometimes they are mounted on a H-frame structure. But most often they are on the ground on a separate part of the concrete equipment pad, sometimes next to the switchgear and sometimes next to the supercharger cabinets.
This is a picture from Sunnyvale with the autotransformers stacked on a rack-like structure.
transformers-jpg.284382

This is San Jose Cherry Ave. It is the first location that I noticed the autotransformers placed on top of the Supercharger cabinets.
img_20181008_114104579_hdr-jpg.341993

Also San Jose, at a different angle.
img_1368-jpg.347379

You will also notice that there is an improvement in the Pleasanton installation of the autotransformers. They use continuous racking between the Supercharger cabinets and the transformers instead of cutting and mounting the racking channels individually.