Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pompton Lakes, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has streamlined their part of it pretty well
LOL!!! Huge pre-construction delays due to Tesla being bad with paperwork happen so regularly it sometimes seems to almost be the norm. The problem is that they are working on too many locations for the size of their teams. Things like 1 or 2+ month waits between plans resubmittals to address minor/cosmetic issues for building permit applications happen all the time. And even then, lots of times those resubmittals don't address all the minor deficiencies that resulted in non-approval for the prior submittal, thus necessitating a further submission cycle with another month plus wait between for Tesla to get their paperwork corrected. Etc.

The one non-Tesla thing that regularly creates significant delays for supercharger sites is waiting for the utility company to provide and hook up the site transformer. Pretty much every thing else is due to issues on the Tesla side. But since most of those Tesla-side things happen before construction, they aren't anywhere near as visible as the transformer thing. It's not that there's never stupid delays caused by the local jurisdiction or their approval process, but when viewing the supercharger network in NA as a whole those are mostly outliers and not the normal state of affairs.

Reactions: lensovet
LOL!!! Huge pre-construction delays due to Tesla being bad with paperwork happen so regularly it sometimes seems to almost be the norm. The problem is that they are working on too many locations for the size of their teams. Things like 1 or 2+ month waits between plans resubmittals to address minor/cosmetic issues for building permit applications happen all the time. And even then, lots of times those resubmittals don't address all the minor deficiencies that resulted in non-approval for the prior submittal, thus necessitating a further submission cycle with another month plus wait between for Tesla to get their paperwork corrected. Etc.

The one non-Tesla thing that regularly creates significant delays for supercharger sites is waiting for the utility company to provide and hook up the site transformer. Pretty much every thing else is due to issues on the Tesla side. But since most of those Tesla-side things happen before construction, they aren't anywhere near as visible as the transformer thing. It's not that there's never stupid delays caused by the local jurisdiction or their approval process, but when viewing the supercharger network in NA as a whole those are mostly outliers and not the normal state of affairs.
Well let me clarify my comment in the context of:

(a) In comparison to past performance where delays were more common and lengthy (in general) compared to today

(b) In looking at the total number of installations and the pace at which they are going in today, a fairer assessment would be that yes, they have streamlined the process. Are there never delays? No, but in many cases they are flying through the installation process once the permit is granted in ridiculously short times. This is the part that I believe Tesla has really streamlined. I think they have their ducks lined up with respect to the utility, their own internal equipment logistics/supply chain, and the installation contractors, so that everything just kind of shows up at more or less the same time. I.e. they've gotten really good at it. With the sheer number of installs they have done, at this point they have most likely seen/heard it all and know what questions & concerns permitting authorities will have and how to address them. Will there occasionally be some new twist? Of course. Now at the same time, the expansion pace may also work against them because things may fall between the cracks.

(c) In comparison to other DC fast charging networks, where it's still common to see sites with equipment on site and mostly installed sit for almost a year before all the i's are dotted and t's crossed and the utility finally shows up with a transformer, and even then it takes a huge amount of time to get out to the site to commission it.

Well if it’s worth anything I have a Tesla Solar roof Tesla did all the paperwork got all the permits did the install and final inspections done in less than 5 months. It then took 2 more months for the utility company to come change my meter. I am happy with the end results could have been maybe a month faster. But if I did the paperwork it would still be undone. Now if only they had more crews as my son is waiting a long time for his roof. Permits are in but the install date keeps getting delayed.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
Our immediate area doesn't have any real good options in terms of supercharging at the moment. Neither Boonton nor Paramus are really that close/convenient until this one is operational or the Wayne service center gets built, but both seem to be a long ways off unfortunately. I'm surprised there is nothing off of 208 in Franklin Lakes or Wyckoff.

I wonder if the new Wawa going up on 23 in Wayne will have superchargers?

Last edited:
Well I heard we can all go into our Tesla apps and VOTE. For the locations I would think this with permits is a done deal but anything on
Rt 23 would be nice for anyone going up to ski country this winter