Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Poncha Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poncha Springs is popular today!

20191026_131009.jpg

Poncha Springs is popular again today, late on a Monday afternoon:

View attachment 566878

For a Supercharger Station so far from the Interstate highway system, it gets a lot of use. It really did fill a big need!

Well, it's the only way to access half the state. It may be a less populated half, but basically everything has to route through there.

I used it multiple times this weekend. Every stall seems to be having issues. Charger 1A, 2A and 2B will not exceed 97 kW no matter what. And all the other ones fluctuate repeatedly back and forth between 24 kW and 57 kW and 42 kW and 74 kW. The ones that charged at 97 kW max also tapered off much more aggressively than normal.

Anyone else see this? Plugshare has multiple comments stating "100 k" max..... but Tesla lists this as supporting 150. It doesnt even support 120 right now. I'm not sure others are noticing the fluctuations.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Well, it's the only way to access half the state. It may be a less populated half, but basically everything has to route through there.

I used it multiple times this weekend. Every stall seems to be having issues. Charger 1A, 2A and 2B will not exceed 97 kW no matter what. And all the other ones fluctuate repeatedly back and forth between 24 kW and 57 kW and 42 kW and 74 kW. The ones that charged at 97 kW max also tapered off much more aggressively than normal.

Anyone else see this? Plugshare has multiple comments stating "100 k" max..... but Tesla lists this as supporting 150. It doesnt even support 120 right now. I'm not sure others are noticing the fluctuations.

Need more data... such as state of charge when connected?... paired or solo? ... if paired, 1st or second arrival? ... several factors determine how much power is distributed.

Reactions: CO_MY
I thought I already provided that and was clear by the break down by charger that I tried every one. I was there several times. With other users, and without. I tried every single charger with no one there and I also charged several times with users occupying other matched pairs. I was towing a trailer and camping nearby so I had the time and the incentive to do so.

State of charge was as low as 8% and as high as 56% and everything in between.

Also, none of the variables you mentioned cause voltage/amperage fluctuations as I described.

Reactions: cstork
I have definitely seen variability when I pass through Poncha Springs. It is my main route when traveling from SW Colorado to Denver. I don't pass through frequent enough to know if it's just temporary at the time. I have seen it when I couldn't get above 50-60, but last time through in early July, I got 100-110 initial charge. I guess I am just happy it is there, since before it required I70 which I detest.

I thought I already provided that and was clear by the break down by charger that I tried every one. I was there several times. With other users, and without. I tried every single charger with no one there and I also charged several times with users occupying other matched pairs. I was towing a trailer and camping nearby so I had the time and the incentive to do so.

State of charge was as low as 8% and as high as 56% and everything in between.

Also, none of the variables you mentioned cause voltage/amperage fluctuations as I described.

Hmmm.... call a plumber ???

Are you able to make it from Poncha Springs or Grand Junction to Durango? I've looked at ABRP and no matter which route I put it none of them show that I can make it to Durango without going well below the speed limit (Model Y). Would like to go to Durango/Telluride but it seems like a Supercharger deadzone with few other options.

Are you able to make it from Poncha Springs or Grand Junction to Durango? I've looked at ABRP and no matter which route I put it none of them show that I can make it to Durango without going well below the speed limit (Model Y). Would like to go to Durango/Telluride but it seems like a Supercharger deadzone with few other options.
According to ABRP, I should have no problem getting to Grand Junction or Durango in my S100D but I haven't attempted it yet. Hopefully there will be a Supercharger in Ridgway or Montrose later this year. We've heard rumors of Durango as well but haven't made it out there so far this summer.

BTW, what numbers are you using for your Y? When we put our performance Y in, it says we can make it to Grand Junction using 69% of the battery and Durango using 80% of the battery.

I don't pay much attention to charge speeds since my car is so slow. I start at about 75 kW when near empty and it tapers rapidly down from there! Poncha Springs is an hour to an hour and a half stop for me, to get to ~95%, so I generally go for a long walk around town.

I'm looking forward to Aspen Park Supercharger Station opening, because it will mean a significantly shorter stop at Poncha Springs when heading east.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brave Ulysses
BTW, what numbers are you using for your Y? When we put our performance Y in, it says we can make it to Grand Junction using 69% of the battery and Durango using 80% of the battery.

My settings in ABRP were the issue, was also planning a trip in windy Wyoming and was assuming the worst and forgot to reset the settings afterwards. Now shows I could make it with 10% left without dropping below the speed limit. Thanks for your help, new to both ABRP and Tesla.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker