Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Poncha Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This charger is a mess. There are cones in front of 2A and 2B... assuming those are not working. 3a/b and 4a/b are still doing the charging fluctuation and won’t charge beyond 64 kW and it constantly bounces back and forth between 42 and 64.

Only 1a and 1b seem to be working close to normal but will not charge beyond 94 kW for a few seconds but are charging at 74 kW and not moving any higher with occcassional drops to 24.

this has been like this for 4 months now. Who do we contact to get this repaired?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart and CO_MY
The problem may well be an electrical supply problem by the utility, not a Tesla problem. I think the utility is Sangre de Cristo Electric Association, 719-395-2412.

I am assuming Tesla receives pretty extensive real time stats and diagnostics on all superchargers so they have to be aware of the issues at this charger.... considering they have been present for at least 4 months.

For those traveling between Montrose and Poncha Springs via US-50 and Monarch Pass, be aware of a periodic road closure in Little Blue Creek Canyon (west of Blue Mesa Reservoir) due to rock scaling in a narrow part of the canyon:

669e06_18bbbf7a953e4327bec5333d035875c8~mv2.webp

Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements
www.us50info.com

The current (June 7) road closure schedule:

Estimated weekly traffic impacts through November 2022​

Work Hours: Monday-Fridays 8 AM-5:30 PM
Nightwork: Monday-Thursday 7:30 PM-6:30 AM

Monday-Friday OPEN for single-lane, alternating traffic operations in the morning, midday, and evening during the following times:
  • 6:30 – 8:30 AM (Mondays open to two-way traffic)
  • 12:30 – 1:30 PM
  • 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Full roadway closures all other times:
  • 8:30 AM-12:30 PM
  • 1:30-5:30 PM
  • 7:30 PM-6:30 AM
Fully OPEN on the weekends to two-way traffic (5:30 PM Friday to 8:30 AM Monday)

Motorists should plan in advance, and expect long wait times during the queue for the Monday-Friday single-lane openings, alternating traffic operations in the morning, midday, and evening. And full roadway closures reduced speed limits and narrowed roads. Significant delays are anticipated. Restrictions for vehicles over 70 feet in length and 10 feet in width are in place through the project area.

Traffic schedule and timeline are subject to change.

If you don't want to time your trip to weekends or the weekday time windows when the road is open (expect a long line of slow moving traffic even after the construction zone during the windows), you can avoid this road closure by diverting to CO-92 through Hotchkiss and Crawford. This detour is about 55 miles longer and the roads are relatively low speed in places, although scenic in spots.

This supercharger is back up and operational as of now, a tesla energy tech was here working on it and I got a peak rate of 105kw before taper on my S85, good thing too as it was shown as offline and I had tried several other chargepoint locations throughout the day but each time was in use or broken, tesla saves the day again.

Attachments

• 20210625_143430.jpg
    20210625_143430.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 100
Charged here at PS today. Worked great. Good charging speed for V2. Didn’t see another Tesla anywhere in the whole area though.
First impression when you pull up to the area is not good. Poncha Market does not look all that appealing. And there is literately nothing else there. Plus you have to sit and look at No Trespassing signs all around you while charging. However, the Poncha Market is actually quite a gem; clean, nice bathrooms, decent snack choices, and great freshly made sandwiches! Plus, the ladies behind the counter were nice and friendly! Really a great experience overall.
It does seem that Salida would have been a better choice for the SC location originally (more human infrastructure there), maybe by the Walmart, or by one of the nicer chain hotels.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Charged here at PS today. Worked great. Good charging speed for V2. Didn’t see another Tesla anywhere in the whole area though.
First impression when you pull up to the area is not good. Poncha Market does not look all that appealing. And there is literately nothing else there. Plus you have to sit and look at No Trespassing signs all around you while charging. However, the Poncha Market is actually quite a gem; clean, nice bathrooms, decent snack choices, and great freshly made sandwiches! Plus, the ladies behind the counter were nice and friendly! Really a great experience overall.
It does seem that Salida would have been a better choice for the SC location originally (more human infrastructure there), maybe by the Walmart, or by one of the nicer chain hotels.
I've almost never been to Poncha Springs and not had other Teslas there; it is heavily used, despite being so remote and is one of the most useful non-Interstate locations in the southern Rocky Mountains. However, a weekday in early December is well out of the usual travel season here.

I presume that they put it there in Poncha Springs because it is right at the crossroads of US 285 and US 50, two heavily used highways. I, too, was surprised that Tesla didn't locate it in Salida.

I've been for many long walks around town over the years and enjoy the charging stop. Besides the market, there are restrooms in the park about five blocks to the northeast. Although with the pandemic they have been using a portable toilet instead.