Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Macquarie NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not wanting to sound like a whinger, but where do you get a coffee and a rest break at 7pm on a Tuesday night whilst your car is charging? Surely not everyone is there at 2pm on a Sunday for wine tasting.

Also, how will this site tie in when the Highway Duplication takes place?

I am not familiar with the area being from Victoria, so its possible I am missing something.

The only concern I have with this location - purely from looking at the map - is that there isn't anything else apart from the winery in walkable distance. The ones in Goulburn etc. are near the town centre with a range of different cafes, restaurants, etc. to choose from. It seems more suitable to a destination charger, with a SC being in the Port Macquarie town itself. However, I don't know a lot about the area myself, and I have no doubt that Tesla weighed up the pros and cons of all locations before making a decision!

That's going to be a common problem between Sydney and Gold Coast. There is very few 24 hour amenities on the highway, apart from service centres. Grafton and Coffs are the only major towns on the highway with after hours food, and even those are scheduled to be bypassed at some point in the nearish future.

To have the SC in port itself, it would be a 20 minute deviation from the highway.

For an after hours charge at Cassegrains, I'd suggest stopping at the nearby service centre first for a take away, it's only 1k north of the Cassegrains turn off.

The upgraded highway is underway, right now. And it's staying in the same location near Cassegrains. It's already quite a bit different from the satellite view on Google earth.

Not wanting to sound like a whinger, but where do you get a coffee and a rest break at 7pm on a Tuesday night whilst your car is charging? Surely not everyone is there at 2pm on a Sunday for wine tasting.

Also, how will this site tie in when the Highway Duplication takes place?

I am not familiar with the area being from Victoria, so its possible I am missing something.

Under-caffeination is a valid whinge. Solution: Aeropress Use 80-85℃ water for best results.

Access to the winery will be via a service road parallel to the new motorway. Northbound access to the service road will be via the overbridge.

new.aeropress.jpg

Sancrox Rd.jpg
sancrox-interchange-display-panel.jpg

Under-caffeination is a valid whinge. Solution: Aeropress Use 80-85℃ water for best results.

Access to the winery will be via a service road parallel to the new motorway. Northbound access to the service road will be via the overbridge.

View attachment 110403

Yes, in fact all bar the access road is built and open. The overpass is operational, however they still haven't closed off the highway level intersection. That must be soon though.

The roundabout on the eastern side of the highway is in, but no signs of the service road yet. It is a one way loop through the trees. You can see the existing roads on google maps. entrance by the east one, exit by the west one. I guess that's all to change in the near future, going by your map.

+1 to raynewman's reponse - I don't think anyone has said that they expect this to be the only supercharger on this route! Just that it will be the first one, and it will allow some enthusiastic people (such as those on this forum) to make the trip if they wish.

Regarding Raymond Terrace, it's not definite but I expect it is a reference to this article mentioning Heatherbrae, which was shared on this forum last year: Tesla Supercharger network:: Australian plans revealed

From that Article linked - at the end of it - [So, with Sydney to Melbourne done, and the next route obviously being the one north, Beaver gave some indications of where the next ports of call could be located.

“I start at a high level and say, ‘Okay, what towns do we want to hit?’,” he said. “It looks like Heatherbrae (outside Newcastle), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina.

“We’ve got about 20 sites that we’re working on at the moment, working through that overlay of land, plus on the route, plus ‘can we have electricity’.

“Because it’s a different utility to work with, we have to bring them along on the process. Timing is uncertain, but you’ll be able to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne for free by the end of next year. I’m very confident of that.”]

From that Article linked - at the end of it - [So, with Sydney to Melbourne done, and the next route obviously being the one north, Beaver gave some indications of where the next ports of call could be located.

“I start at a high level and say, ‘Okay, what towns do we want to hit?’,” he said. “It looks like Heatherbrae (outside Newcastle), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina.

“We’ve got about 20 sites that we’re working on at the moment, working through that overlay of land, plus on the route, plus ‘can we have electricity’.

“Because it’s a different utility to work with, we have to bring them along on the process. Timing is uncertain, but you’ll be able to drive from Brisbane to Melbourne for free by the end of next year. I’m very confident of that.”]

Yes those comments were very informative. Also given that apparently Tesla are in talks with another manufacturer (my guess is Toyota or Mercedes-Benz :)) to share the SC network, as well as the release of the X & 3 and increasing S sales, it makes sense that another factor to consider is scalability.

With the increase in demand in the near future, there'll be a need to upscale to capacity at the smaller sites then build more elsewhere as required.

Last edited: