Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portage, IN - George Ade & John T McCutcheon Travel Plazas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled into the I-80/90 rest stop just outside of Chicago in Portage Indiana and SURPRISE! They're installing a supercharger station. Looks like charging posts are installed and they're pulling wire today.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_151625.jpg
    IMG_20211104_151625.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20211104_151621.jpg
    IMG_20211104_151621.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 138
I drove by this yesterday. There are chargers on both sides, just like Pleasant Prairie. Seemed like wiring is ongoing.
Stopped by westbound today. Looks almost ready.
I note that in that first picture of pcbrhit's post, in the background, you can see the set of superchargers for the other direction. That's definite confirmation that there will be separate stations on both sides/directions of travel. I'm not up-to-date on how exactly the site shows/titles this type of split location, but SC.info should be updated to include both.

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
I charged at the westbound plaza a couple days ago. I briefly saw 250kW after starting charging at 24%.

Two observations:

1. Neither of these Supercharger are shown on Google Maps. Anyone know how Superchargers get added to GMaps? (I.e., is it like Plugshare where Tesla has to do it themselves? Or is it up to a random user to submit new locations?)

2. When I was there on a Tuesday at 4pm, the gate for the service road (Clem Rd) was left open. I’m not advocating this, but… as far as I could tell, there was nothing stopping someone from sneaking through to use the Supercharger without paying any tolls (or just to get onto the tollway without paying first.)
(There was a sign saying “Authorized Personnel Only” at the open gate, but I didn’t see any conspicuous cameras or anything else like that.)

The only reason I noticed this is that I always compare tollway and freeway travel times when driving from Chicago to Michigan and vice-versa, and Google Maps actually recommended taking Clem Rd to the plaza when I toggled on “Avoid Tolls”. I didn’t take that route since I didn’t trust that the it would be possible to enter that way, but I did walk over to check the gate while I was charging. And when coming from WB I-94, it’s actually a slightly faster route than getting on WB I-80 first.

Last edited:
I charged at the westbound plaza a couple days ago. I briefly saw 250kW after starting charging at 24%.

Two observations:

1. Neither of these Supercharger are shown on Google Maps. Anyone know how Superchargers get added to GMaps? (I.e., is it like Plugshare where Tesla has to do it themselves? Or is it up to a random user to submit new locations?)

2. When I was there on a Tuesday at 4pm, the gate for the service road (Clem Rd) was left open. I’m not advocating this, but… as far as I could tell, there was nothing stopping someone from sneaking through to use the Supercharger without paying any tolls (or just to get onto the tollway without paying first.)
(There was a sign saying “Authorized Personnel Only” at the open gate, but I didn’t see any conspicuous cameras or anything else like that.)

The only reason I noticed this is that I always compare tollway and freeway travel times when driving from Chicago to Michigan and vice-versa, and Google Maps actually recommended taking Clem Rd to the plaza when I toggled on “Avoid Tolls”. I didn’t take that route since I didn’t trust that the it would be possible to enter that way, but I did walk over to check the gate while I was charging. And when coming from WB I-94, it’s actually a slightly faster route than getting on WB I-80 first.
On the Indiana this tollway you don't pay first. You pay when you exit the tollway. If you don't have a ticket or your ez-pass does not show an entry point they will charge you the highest toll available for your class of vehicle. So it would not be wise to enter the tollway this way. If you try to sneak off the tollway they will charge your ez-pass the highest toll for your vehicle class after I think 24 hours and if you took a ticket they will look up your plate and send you a bill with a fine built in I believe. If you sneak in and supercharge and get a bite to eat at one of the plaza restaurants, I really don't think they care. The one out by me has one of those soft pretzel places and I do love those carbs.