Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portage la Prairie MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to one of the guys this morning. He is getting final inspection done by MB Hydro right now. The crew moved to WInnipeg. He said that Tesla doesn’t tell them when they will turn the SuC on. Can anyone shed some light on why Tesla is not turning these completed stations on as they get them inspected?
Because "turning them on" is a more involved process than flipping a switch or pressing a button. It requires a site visit by a Tesla technician who, in addition to other work, has to plug into each stall to test that they are all working properly. That means that the technician has to be able to get to the station with a Tesla in the first place. So, they'll wait until they've got a whole string of stations in a row ready for activation so that the tech can just drive along activating each one as they go. Which will vastly reduce the logistical challenges of the endeavor.

Went to check out the site on my lunch break today. While I was there admiring the pedestals a crew of workers showed up. I asked them if they were there to flip the switch but he said no just troubleshooting.
0847BE4F-F757-4AF7-A4C5-742C1365E974.jpeg

The $14.03 was the cost of our charge in Baxter, MN. I took it up to ~98% but can't remember how many Kw it was. The price was NOT for the Canadian charging at any of the 3 chargers we charged at in Manitoba. I did charge it twice when we were in Ontario last week and it seemed pricey. I think we put on over 7000 miles on our little trip. The furthest point south was Boca Chica SpaceX site

The $14.03 was the cost of our charge in Baxter, MN. I took it up to ~98% but can't remember how many Kw it was. The price was NOT for the Canadian charging at any of the 3 chargers we charged at in Manitoba. I did charge it twice when we were in Ontario last week and it seemed pricey. I think we put on over 7000 miles on our little trip. The furthest point south was Boca Chica SpaceX site
Hmmm, you did about 300km from Baxter to GF without any extra charging in current weather? I assume MN was not much warmer than here?
(Was this with a M3 with Aero hubcaps? Had to be Long Range - Approx what speed?)

Let me tell you it was a nail biter. Yes, M3, DM, LR. I believe it is ONLY 244 miles. We did stop in Bemidji, MN and charged for about an hour on the L2 at the Welcome Center. I took it back up to where Tesla Navigation reported we would arrive at the Best Western in GF with 21%. Tesla said "Limit speed to 70 MPH" HA HA. As I told @Aceboogie (nice meeting you) in Portage this afternoon, Tesla needs to get the algorithm sorted out. At -20C I lost the 20% margin and arrived with 1% (2 miles in that weather). I was never over 55 and when I got on I 29 for the last bit ~7.9 miles, I put my 4 way flashers on and drove at 45. The headwind/crosswind didn't help either. I am SO GLAD I decided to add the extra 1%. I learned a lot about the car on this trip. Turns out, contrary to my guess, the trip was actually 10772 KM using 2057 KWh and 191 Wh/Km. I figure that FULL range @ 98% is about 200 miles or 2/3 of stated range and that is not at speeds more than 65 with -20 C temps. Would be nice to see a chart on that.

Let me tell you it was a nail biter. Yes, M3, DM, LR. I believe it is ONLY 244 miles. We did stop in Bemidji, MN and charged for about an hour on the L2 at the Welcome Center. I took it back up to where Tesla Navigation reported we would arrive at the Best Western in GF with 21%. Tesla said "Limit speed to 70 MPH" HA HA. As I told @Aceboogie (nice meeting you) in Portage this afternoon, Tesla needs to get the algorithm sorted out. At -20C I lost the 20% margin and arrived with 1% (2 miles in that weather). I was never over 55 and when I got on I 29 for the last bit ~7.9 miles, I put my 4 way flashers on and drove at 45. The headwind/crosswind didn't help either. I am SO GLAD I decided to add the extra 1%. I learned a lot about the car on this trip. Turns out, contrary to my guess, the trip was actually 10772 KM using 2057 KWh and 191 Wh/Km. I figure that FULL range @ 98% is about 200 miles or 2/3 of stated range and that is not at speeds more than 65 with -20 C temps. Would be nice to see a chart on that.
The Nav does not take weather into account, so if you're driving in some place like Manitoba in December, you're on your own. It does take average road speeds and elevation into account.

The Nav does not take weather into account, so if you're driving in some place like Manitoba in December, you're on your own. It does take average road speeds and elevation into account.

Interesting/amazing that this technologically advanced car can't read the thermometer and use the currently displayed temperature in a calculation to determine how far it can go on a cold day!

Reactions: navguy12
Interesting/amazing that this technologically advanced car can't read the thermometer and use the currently displayed temperature in a calculation to determine how far it can go on a cold day!
You are preaching to the choir. I am just the messenger here.

We are getting off-topic but I recently heard that the Waze app is updating roads to indicate if they have been recently plowed or not. Eventually this or some other app will have consistently updated road conditions which would also help a range calculation. Your range is best on dry roads, slightly worse on wet roads, much worse in heavy rain and/or snow/ice. I would also like to eventually see a radar overlay in the Nav. As a west coaster, I mostly just avoid road tripping in winter conditions, but the radar would be huge for driving through the inevitable stormy conditions that you find in the eastern 2/3 of the US in spring and summer.

As I said, I learned a LOT about our Tesla on this trip. Mostly good.
I still wonder about the US$ charging rate.
Some sites listed (as an example) Cost per Kw $0.09 $0.23 Waiting? charge $1.00 per minute.
I asked at the Atlanta Service Center but they could not explain it. I'm just wondering when the $0.23 kicks in or why.

You'll get more comfortable with it with more experience, as you learn to use the onboard utilization stuff. Nothing replaces experience there.

As far as longer ranges, if you KNOW you're pushing it, bring blankets, and use the seat heaters instead of the car heater. It's VASTLY more efficient. And warm the car in advance while it's plugged in.

It's fun. :)

Some sites listed (as an example) Cost per Kw $0.09 $0.23 Waiting? charge $1.00 per minute.
I asked at the Atlanta Service Center but they could not explain it. I'm just wondering when the $0.23 kicks in or why.

I assume waiting is using the stall as a parking lot. So if you plug in and then go shopping, you'll be billed for using the spot after your car is done charging. This encourages people to move so there isn't a lineup for the chargers. Some placed do have lineups, and they can get quite long. I haven't seen them in Canada yet though.

Supercharger Idle Fee

The price differential is for sites that charge by the minute of use, not by the kWh of electricity delivered. Because straight duration-of-session pricing could turn out to be pretty unfair--you'd pay the same rate regardless of whether your charging rate is fast or slow--Tesla has instituted a tiered price for those stations. The cost depends on what power your car is charging at, with the tier split at 60 kW. At 60 kW or higher, you pay the high price. Below 60 kW, you pay the low price.

Then there is a potential idle fee. When the station is 50% or more occupied, if you leave the car plugged in after your charge finishes then you will be charged $1.00/minute. However, the fee is waived if you unplug the car within the first 5 minutes of being idle.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq