Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portland, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a Fred Meyer right near the intersection of I-5 & I-205 in Tualatin/Nyberg

This area is a cluster, man. With Cabela's and all of the semi traffic heading out to industrial on Tualatin/Sherwood, it backs up really heavily.

I would REALLY suggest the Target/Costco area in Wilsonville just a few miles down I5 if you were going to choose a location. It's much easier to get to from North/South travel. Per my post above, though, Clackamas Town Center would be a better option if we could only choose one Clackamas county location.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
This area is a cluster, man. With Cabela's and all of the semi traffic heading out to industrial on Tualatin/Sherwood, it backs up really heavily.

I would REALLY suggest the Target/Costco area in Wilsonville just a few miles down I5 if you were going to choose a location. It's much easier to get to from North/South travel. Per my post above, though, Clackamas Town Center would be a better option if we could only choose one Clackamas county location.
I’m not a local, so your suggestions are certainly better from a local perspective. Anything from Troutdale to south of Woodburn is a CF#$@& from my view. ;) Unfortunately, anything farther south or west of Gresham means that skipping The Dalles is no longer an option, which was an issue discussed here. Kennewick to Wilsonville will be impossible when the Dalles is offline/overloaded (happens a lot). Of course Hood River will eventually alleviate some of these issues, but there will still be a high density of owners throughout the Portland metroplex, so additional well-placed local SCs will also be needed.
I could be mistaken, but I think it's been over 3 years since they've opened a supercharger at a Fred Meyer.

You'd probably be better off looking for Target locations as that is a partnership that still seems to be active.
Personally I like Fred Meyer better than Target, but either one is better than none. How about Target at 21500 NE Halsey St, Fairview, OR? That’s near one of the Fred Meyer stores mentioned above. I also like Target at 9000 SE Sunnyside Rd, Clackamas, OR. Both seem good to me. Having V3s in both of those areas would seem to dramatically improve coverage. Throw in Wilsonville next is just more gravy. Maybe another email to Tesla is warranted.

I’m not a local, so your suggestions are certainly better from a local perspective. Anything from Troutdale to south of Woodburn is a CF#$@& from my view. ;) Unfortunately, anything farther south or west of Gresham means that skipping The Dalles is no longer an option, which was an issue discussed here. Kennewick to Wilsonville will be impossible when the Dalles is offline/overloaded (happens a lot). Of course Hood River will eventually alleviate some of these issues, but there will still be a high density of owners throughout the Portland metroplex, so additional well-placed local SCs will also be needed.

Personally I like Fred Meyer better than Target, but either one is better than none. How about Target at 21500 NE Halsey St, Fairview, OR? That’s near one of the Fred Meyer stores mentioned above. I also like Target at 9000 SE Sunnyside Rd, Clackamas, OR. Both seem good to me. Having V3s in both of those areas would seem to dramatically improve coverage. Throw in Wilsonville next is just more gravy. Maybe another email to Tesla is warranted.

In your experience have any emails to Tesla actually done anything at all, or is it more of a “well, can’t hurt” type of thing?

I still think every Portland area person that travels East and anyone heading West to visit Portland should email/politely complain that something around Boardman is still drastically needed. People might be able to make it going East to Pendleton, but that still leave a single point of failure. If Dallas is offline, it might not be possible from even Hood River (or at least not without a long charge to above 80%) since it’s just over 150 miles. That also causes stress in the winter, towing anything, and for Model 3 SR+ guys and probably Model S/X that had original ranges of mid 200s.

It also obviously is a HUGE problem if Pendleton is offline for whatever reason, people literally couldn’t make it further East on 84. (Without slow chargers)

Boardman, or maybe Arlington could make it possible to keep going to Baker City. If emailing Tesla actually does anything, I think we all should focus efforts on doing that. (We can also try for more Portland metro areas, but as it stands now, it’s still a real hassle getting into or out of Portland from the East and Hood River really only helps getting into the city from the East.)

I also like Target at 9000 SE Sunnyside Rd, Clackamas, OR.
OK, so that's basically Clackamas Town Center and actually called the "Clackamas Promenade", it's directly across the street. Don't get me wrong, traffic is abysmal on this exit, but most exits south of this are pretty jammed up most of the time.

I'm pretty sure there are Level 2's in the Target parking lot, already.

Unfortunately, anything farther south or west of Gresham means that skipping The Dalles is no longer an option

I'm not sure which direction you're headed, but if it's I84 east, I wouldn't skip too many superchargers. For instance, if you're heading to Boise.

For the Portland area, if you were to live here, there's a HUGE base of residents on the Eastside. This is clearly what Gresham hoped to alleviate, but the issue is that Gresham isn't close to 205.

An example would be needing to stop in Issaquah when you just wanted to charge up in Bellevue or Factoria and stay near the Interstate.

It makes the most sense to have these chargers along major routes. i205 is THE bypass you should be taking if you're heading south on 5 from Seattle. It's faster, less congested and ultimately, less likely to encounter traffic problems if you're simply looking to get through the Portland area.

This means that there's technically nothing until Woodburn, which is probably fine, just saying that Clackamas Town Center could fill that gap nicely for people, or the Target you mentioned off Sunnyside, same thing.

• Helpful
…..which direction you're headed, but if it's I84 east, I wouldn't skip too many superchargers. For instance, if you're heading to Boise…..
Yes, that’s exactly the point. With my 2015S70D, I definitely don’t skip SCs unless they are off-line. My last trip through Portland when the Dalles was off-line, I was fortunate enough to discover Sandy, charge to 100%, and just make it home (about 15 mi past Kennewick). This was summer, and a 15 mph tailwind. If conditions had been different, the alternative was hours of L2 charging in an EV-unfriendly eastern OR location or drive over Snoqualmie or White Pass (now that Yakima is online). If you think bad traffic in Portland will ruin a vacation, try driving from the south Oregon coast to Kennewick via Seattle-Tacoma.

For a traveler through Portland, another SC right on I-205 is not a requirement, but more like a nice bonus. Woodburn to Vancouver is only 50 mi and from Salem it’s 60 mi. Additional SCs in the metro area would mostly service locals, except one on the I-84 corridor. Looking at the map, all other main roads out of the area are covered (except maybe 30 to Astoria, though one might argue that Longview/Vancouver covers that route).
In your experience have any emails to Tesla actually done anything at all, or is it more of a “well, can’t hurt” type of thing?……
If emailing Tesla actually does anything, I think we all should focus efforts on doing that.
No, but maybe. I’ve never received a reply, but some of my suggestions are now permitted (unfortunately two years later).

Unfortunately, both permits expired within the last 2 weeks. No permits have been filed elsewhere, and I don't know if Tesla will refile at this location.

Portland.jpg

That is not what I am referring to. There is a pin labeled NE Portland and 2 additional pins. It is the 2 additional ones that have not been matched with a permit.
Agreed. Interesting that those two are listed as 3rd and 4th quarters 2022. It stands to reason that the Q3 one is fairly far along, perhaps a resurrection of the Fox Tower parking garage (805 SW Broadway) that was discussed up thread last year. Edit: even Ridgefield isn’t on Tesla’s map and we found that permit 3 mo ago. Something doesn’t jive.

Agreed. Interesting that those two are listed as 3rd and 4th quarters 2022. It stands to reason that the Q3 one is fairly far along, perhaps a resurrection of the Fox Tower parking garage (805 SW Broadway) that was discussed up thread last year. Edit: even Ridgefield isn’t on Tesla’s map and we found that permit 3 mo ago. Something doesn’t jive.
Question is whether the Vancouver pin is for the upcoming service center with SC or maybe it’s for Ridgefield. Portland online portal is address based so without an address it’s a no go. I checked Fox tower and there’s nothing there as far as resurrected permits.

• Informative
Question is whether the Vancouver pin is for the upcoming service center with SC or maybe it’s for Ridgefield. Portland online portal is address based so without an address it’s a no go. I checked Fox tower and there’s nothing there as far as resurrected permits.

There are a lot of places with a coming soon pin that have several Superchargers in the works. Tustin, CA, for example, has two sites under construction and one permit, yet only one coming soon pin. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out what's what.

• Informative
There are a lot of places with a coming soon pin that have several Superchargers in the works. Tustin, CA, for example, has two sites under construction and one permit, yet only one coming soon pin. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out what's what.
Same with Woodburn expansion. No pin. Sometimes expansions get them, sometimes not. I reached out to Portland BDS to ask. Could find anything on the recently issued/applied commercial permit map they have. Except a new EVGo charger.

Completely agree.

It sucks seeing all of the votes of the Supercharging voting still going to the exact place where a SC has already been permitted. I definitely agree we needed one @ CTC, but now that we are getting one, can we move our attention to Wilsonville?

Having nothing but the constantly overcrowded, slow and expensive 72kw charger @ Washington Square is more of a pain in the ass than anything. The Wilsonville target location is about as perfect as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigardZ