Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portsmouth, RI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla is planning to install a Supercharger in Middletown, RI -- which will be a welcomed stop for Newport-area visitors and owners.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 9.23.08 PM.png

Won't be open for a while, and I'm not sure where exactly they're installing it, but I'm sure more information is to come in due time.

Reactions: EdA and chjch
They are doing a terrible job in RI and Bar harnor Maine. Middleton and Bar Harbor keep getting pushed off by year, both seem like logical places for a Supercharger. Bar Harbor is the bigger hole, Newport isn't that far from 495 in MA which is covered by Superchargers but the good route to Bar Harbor, Route 1, doesn't have anything after Freeport. There are a couple of Superchargers on 95 but who wants to drive on an Interstate when they go to Maine, you want ot be on the coast not a boring highway. They need to get these SCs built and they also should put one in at Camden or Rockport Maine.

• Love
Reactions: kayak1
They are doing a terrible job in RI and Bar harnor Maine. Middleton and Bar Harbor keep getting pushed off by year, both seem like logical places for a Supercharger. Bar Harbor is the bigger hole, Newport isn't that far from 495 in MA which is covered by Superchargers but the good route to Bar Harbor, Route 1, doesn't have anything after Freeport. There are a couple of Superchargers on 95 but who wants to drive on an Interstate when they go to Maine, you want ot be on the coast not a boring highway. They need to get these SCs built and they also should put one in at Camden or Rockport Maine.
This is and North Conway NH really need coverage.

I wonder what the problem is. They get installed in a timely manner in Vermont and they are popping up like weeds in Eastern MA but Bar Harbor, Middleton, North Conway keep getting pushed out. All of those spots are major destinations, are local towns making it difficult for them or is it just because the people who make these decisions at Tesla are all in California and don't have a clue about New England.

Looks likely that the Middletown, RI coming soon pin will actually be north of there in Portsmouth, RI:

Neon Marketplace
3302 East Main Rd
Portsmouth, RI

Neon is working with Tesla to host superchargers in Seekonk (construction nearly done now), Warwick (construction started/starting soon?) and in Portsmouth. The information for this Portsmouth, RI location was John Rohland in RI, who was speaking with Neon staff about the Seekonk location, and also revealed the under construction Warwick location.

@tes-s @MarcoRP @corywright

Last edited:
Looks likely that the Middletown, RI coming soon pin will actually be north of there in Portsmouth, RI:

Neon Marketplace
3302 East Main Rd
Portsmouth, RI

Neon is working with Tesla to host superchargers in Seekonk (construction nearly done now), Warwick (construction started/starting soon?) and in Portsmouth. The information for this Portsmouth, RI location was John Rohland in RI, who was speaking with Neon staff about the Seekonk location, and also revealed the under construction Warwick location.
Was there any indication of how far along they are in the process? We don't have firm rules for when to add a permit blue dot, but generally there needs to some evidence that the wheels are starting to turn, so to speak.

Relaying info second hand - but the in person conversation today was with Neon marketing about facility grand openings at both Warwick and Seekonk on 12/22, and a statement that they will be installing superchargers at Portsmouth too. Given the source of the info, I'd say it's going to happen, and probably soon. I was going to dig to see if I can find any written evidence too, but given the Tesla "coming soon" pin for Middletown, I'd say the probability is very high this is where it will be and pin-worthy. We can certainly delay a permit pin until we have more info of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: P100DL !
Here is a business story about Neon and their growth plans that include co-installing EV charging stations from both Tesla and ChargePoint in their new builds.

Green energy is also a major focus for the chain. Neon Marketplace is currently installing EV chargers at one of its existing locations and plans to include EV charging at future sites. It is partnering with both Tesla and ChargePoint and is speaking with additional providers as it prepares to stay nimble until it has a feel for the most sustainable models as EV evolves.

“Our first several sites will feature Tesla superchargers, but we’re looking across the entire energy channel to see how EV evolves — and looking to evolve with it,” Rasmussen said.

Neon Marketplace’s focus on EV charging is about “doing the right things,” he added.

“We want to be a place where consumers can get the energy that they need to move on. We believe EV is a part of the future. There’s certainly great environmental benefits for it, and we want to be a part of that,” he said. “Gasoline is still very important, and it will be for a long time … but we want to have EV as well. It’s part of our values and our beliefs.”

I reached out to Neon Marketplace to find out if they were going to put a Supercharger into their Middleton location. I got this response

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for reaching out. We are all about electric vehicle charging at Neon Marketplace and we appreciate your inquiry. Unfortunately we cannot add Tesla to our Middletown location due to space on the lot. We tried, and tried, but we determined along with Tesla that there is not space. However, if you don’t mind going a few extra miles, we will be installing Tesla Superchargers at our Portsmouth location later this year.

Kind Regards,

Neon Energy Team

I reached out to Neon Marketplace to find out if they were going to put a Supercharger into their Middleton location. I got this response

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for reaching out. We are all about electric vehicle charging at Neon Marketplace and we appreciate your inquiry. Unfortunately we cannot add Tesla to our Middletown location due to space on the lot. We tried, and tried, but we determined along with Tesla that there is not space. However, if you don’t mind going a few extra miles, we will be installing Tesla Superchargers at our Portsmouth location later this year.

Kind Regards,

Neon Energy Team
Thanks for making this effort and sharing the results.

Reactions: Tdreamer and kayak1
I would suspect the soon to be constructed Neon location in Newport at the rotary by the Walmart will be the winning location for the Newport Supercharger. It has the space given that the site has an existing service mart and diner. It is sad that the popular diner which rents the land will have to leave.

As a Portsmouth resident and Model 3 owner, I was at first surprised by the proposed location but after some thought it probably will do ok. It's a reasonable place to accommodate visitors to Aquidneck Island that come from the Providence, Fall River, and Boston areas. Welcome to town, Tesla.

Reactions: EdA
So, the project was presented to the zoning board on 5/26/22. The board had a few concerns, but was supportive overall. The primary sticking point was a traffic study that was supposed to have been done back in 2009-2010 by the property owner that they weren't sure was on file. If it's not on file, it will need to be done first before the zoning board can move forward with the zoning amendment. There were also some concerns about noise levels during charging - only transformer hum, and perhaps car door noise was brought up as a concern by the board which Tesla spoke to. Lighting was also a concern for abutters overnight which Tesla was more than willing to to accommodate with any changes requested by the board.

Continued to the 6/16/22 meeting (not yet posted)

What traffic? If it's only 8 chargers. And, it's going to be in a parking lot. Will there be 100 Teslas waiting in line to charge? lol....

Concerns is easily mitigated:
Lighting problem. Ok: Add to construction job - problem fixed
Transformer hum: Ok: Add dampaners to the cabinent - problem fixed

What traffic? If it's only 8 chargers. And, it's going to be in a parking lot. Will there be 100 Teslas waiting in line to charge? lol....

Concerns is easily mitigated:
Lighting problem. Ok: Add to construction job - problem fixed
Transformer hum: Ok: Add dampaners to the cabinent - problem fixed
The noise is from the imaginary diesel generator that people think exist at all supercharger locations.

• Funny
Reactions: cmaster
To be fair, the zoning board is responsible for making sure zoning exceptions meet the needs of the town and abutters. They are asking the right questions, and Tesla provided appropriate replies. I don't see there being an issue to this getting approved personally other than Neon possibly needing to complete a traffic study that was requested years ago as part of the original development if by chance it was never done.