Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger power requirements? How many kW it takes from the grid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the typical Supercharger power requirements?
(How many kW it normally takes from the grid?)

As we know multiple chargers working in parallel can deliver up to 120 kW.
But typically if we have multiple telas charging in parallel the output power is going down. Plus sometimes supercargers use batteries to have additional power supply.

So what is the typical sc-2-grid connection requirement? Does it require special high voltage power lines?

Special? I presume those locations are picked for their proximity to the normal high voltage found on the distribution network. Long term I expect to see Powerpacks used to shave the peak loads and later to deliver power generated by solar panels. In some places those panels would not all have to be on site and the power could be aggregated.

I believe each Supercharger cabinet is rated at 192A max on each of 3 phases at 277Y480V, so that's just shy of 160kW on the AC side. A Supercharger site with 6-10 stalls is usually fed by a dedicated transformer that is rated at 500kVA to 750kVA. However, they can tolerate draw above that for reasonable periods of time.

• Informative
Reactions: David99