Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Prawda, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today. Two men working.

Attachments

• 7FC5F69A-2FAA-44A1-9393-8F1A683839B4.jpeg
    7FC5F69A-2FAA-44A1-9393-8F1A683839B4.jpeg
    625.9 KB · Views: 155
  • A6928C6E-F213-494F-90B4-0A701AE4D58A.jpeg
    A6928C6E-F213-494F-90B4-0A701AE4D58A.jpeg
    733.6 KB · Views: 119
I stopped in yesterday to see if the chargers were active and was encouraged to see them lit up. I was able to open my charging door with the cord end but alas no juice was flowing. I left it plugged in for about 10 minutes while I went inside, no change.

I found in Winnipeg that at -13°C it took 15 minutes before real power started flowing. It took that long for the battery to warm up. At least this is my explanation. The car screen said it was charging at a power level and rate that flickered between 0 and 1. After 15 minutes the charging rate began to rise slowly. Other people have also noticed a similar initial warm-up period. How cold was it? Did your screen say it was charging? If so, maybe you didn't wait long enough.

My car is a model 3, LR AWD.

This is my second winter with my Model 3. I have never had a supercharger take more than a minute or two to ramp up the apparent charge rate in the winter. That being said, I've never charged at a supercharger without driving over 100 miles to get there, so I haven't tried a cold battery test at one. And all of the superchargers have been v2 and have been in service for a while. Also, AC charging with a mobile charger will always ramp up to 7 kW immediately on my home 14-50 outlet no matter how cold the car is. Upshot is that I'm really dubious about this 15 minute wait being about cold batteries. I suspect it's part of the reason these v3 superchargers aren't officially online yet.

Upshot is that I'm really dubious about this 15 minute wait being about cold batteries. I suspect it's part of the reason these v3 superchargers aren't officially online yet.

You might be right, tharasix, and I hope you are.

This entire supercharger rollout along the TC Highway would have been better if there had been and still was somewhere we could contact to find out what's going on.

Thanks MK--, but can you say more? Did your screen say it was charging? How long did you leave it plugged in? What was the outside temperature and was your car battery cold?

Didnt check the screen, but the flashing blue light never turned green. Tired two different stalls, left it plugged in for 10min. Outside temp was -10 and car battery was warm, been driving for 1 hour

• Informative
Reactions: AlbertaNetZero
This is my second winter with my Model 3. I have never had a supercharger take more than a minute or two to ramp up the apparent charge rate in the winter. That being said, I've never charged at a supercharger without driving over 100 miles to get there, so I haven't tried a cold battery test at one. And all of the superchargers have been v2 and have been in service for a while. Also, AC charging with a mobile charger will always ramp up to 7 kW immediately on my home 14-50 outlet no matter how cold the car is. Upshot is that I'm really dubious about this 15 minute wait being about cold batteries. I suspect it's part of the reason these v3 superchargers aren't officially online yet.

I also noted in another thread, that normally, when the map is taking you to a supercharger, the car will warm the batteries enroute. That’s also not possible yet because the chargers aren’t open, so they don’t show up in the map.

Realistically, these chargers are not open. Some may get a charge from them, others won’t. Nobody’s paying for them. And they don’t perform like Superchargers, as they are slow.

Rather than worrying that they aren’t working, everyone needs to chill. Planning a trip based on them is stupid at this point. As is judging their performance. Until they are online, they should be considered “not working”.

Despite a few successful checkins on PlugShare, I was only able to pull down 22kW at this one on Sunday. My car navigated me here, then down 75 km of dirt road to get to Bemidji from Winnipeg, for some reason. For an even more questionable reason, I followed it. I showed up with a preconditioned battery at about 70% SoC. The CHAdeMO in Bemidji pushed more than that at 70%, so I think this supercharger is still flakey. Taking over an hour to get 30% charge sucked.