Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger pre-warming whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
We did a navigate to nearest SC, and when we got closer to it, the car pops up the notice that battery warming is happening. I put the energy consumption graph up and verified, yup, that's a lot of juice going in to heating the battery.

As it did this, both myself and my wife could hear a high pitch whine, which must be the heater. It quit when the graph hump came down, and started up again when another dose of heating happened.

Anybody else hearing this? It wasn't too loud, but we did notice it.

We did a navigate to nearest SC, and when we got closer to it, the car pops up the notice that battery warming is happening. I put the energy consumption graph up and verified, yup, that's a lot of juice going in to heating the battery.

As it did this, both myself and my wife could hear a high pitch whine, which must be the heater. It quit when the graph hump came down, and started up again when another dose of heating happened.

Anybody else hearing this? It wasn't too loud, but we did notice it.

Normal. Presumably running the motor inefficiently to generate heat also produces acoustic noise. Just a guess.

Normal. Presumably running the motor inefficiently to generate heat also produces acoustic noise. Just a guess.

This.

The “battery heater” in the Model 3 isn’t a separate heater, they just tune the motor parameters to run it ‘hot’ on purpose when they want extra heat to use.

I think someone on Reddit (Wugz?) did a test standing still. Just have it in drive and “hold” and be close enough to a SC for battery preconditioning to trigger and you might be able to hear the same thing while not even moving when you punch the SC into the nav.