Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking for a thread on this recently. Had a trip from SF to Palm Springs, and only put in the upcoming SC destination as my choices for where to charge were different than the Tesla NAV was proposing.. I REALLY wish there was a way to adjust the proposed SC, much like most NAV will do. Of COURSE one can build a trip with various stops, those stops being the desired SC’s.

Anyway, for the first SC stop, kettleman, after having driven already 1.5 hours and 90 miles, “pre-conditioning” started at 96 miles out from kettleman SC. That went on for 45 minutes, then disappeared. Then, about 20 miles before Kettleman it started again and ran for about 17 minutes. Once at Kettleman the in car energy info said that pre-conditioning had used 9.7 miles of battery for that 96 mile journey. It was ~ 70 degrees out, I was going about 83, not sure what the actual battery temp was after already 1.5 hours of that type of driving and conditions but it did seem excessive.

For the next stop, I didn’t actually put in the SC as the destination and only put it in about 20 minutes out. Used 2.4 miles of range apparently, and had no impact with charging speed at the SC, started at 1056 miles/hr and stayed there about 7 minutes before dropping down.

So, yeah, I think something needs to be adjusted for this to be the optimization that it is intended to be.

So, yeah, I think something needs to be adjusted for this to be the optimization that it is intended to be.

I suspect it's exactly as Tesla intend it to be. You get the fastest charge (and block a stall for the least amount of time) and they get the most money! But to be fair most people want the least time charging .. and the difference in cost is small.