Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger price change in MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison, a typical MA household pays $0.22/kWh, the 5th most expensive in USA. All New England states are the highest in the country. Louisiana is the lowest at 9.3 cents and many other states are close by. When examining rates, you must look at two factors: generation and distribution. There are numerous choices for generation, but usually only one company for distribution. Often commercial rates are higher and Tesla may be on this plan.

Reactions: CarlSagan
This is probably how they keep it so low...the revenue generated from a commercial user such as Tesla helps to subsidize residential rates.
I don't think so. All in, the residential rate is currently $0.114/kWh (it was around $0.14/kWh when I left the service area) - http://www.hudsonlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Rates.pdf (that PDF doesn't include additional charges, here - http://www.hudsonlight.com/residential/)

Low volume commercial (<5000kWh/month) is 1/4 cent more/kWh, high volume (Tesla) is 3.3 cents lower/kWh (plus demand charges). At first glance, HLP appears to have lower demand charges as well.

I don't get it...

I don't think so. All in, the residential rate is currently $0.114/kWh (it was around $0.14/kWh when I left the service area) - http://www.hudsonlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Rates.pdf (that PDF doesn't include additional charges, here - Hudson Light & Power)

Low volume commercial (<5000kWh/month) is 1/4 cent more/kWh, high volume (Tesla) is 3.3 cents lower/kWh (plus demand charges). At first glance, HLP appears to have lower demand charges as well.

I don't get it...

Maybe the price gets adjusted by Tesla later on? Maybe they're using an initially high price to recoup the CAPEX of building out the site?

It looks that Tesla updated supercharger pricing in MA. Before the change, all the superchargers in Boston were $0.28/kWh. Now Prudential and South Bay are $0.23/kWh and Fenway is $0.30/kWh. Most other superchargers in MA are $0.23/kWh as well, while Hudson is $0.30/kWh.

I looked today again at the map and it seems the changes I saw on Monday were reverted. Fenway is now $0.27/kWh, other Boston superchargers are $0.27/kWh and Hudson is $0.27/kWh. Perhaps Tesla is using a neural net to set the prices for the superchargers and it is still learning.

This theory does not explain why Fenway is more expensive than the other superchargers in Boston. The only thing Hudson an Fenway have in common is that they are both recent additions.
Fenway has the RedSox, Hudson doesn't. Sounds like supply and demand. We moved from Templeton, MA to northeast CT and the rates here are around $0.215 to $0.22/KWH. I'm leery about switching generating plants every 6 months. You'll save very little in the final analysis and you'll find yourself all but constantly comparing prices and jumping for the next 'deal'. I believe Templeton got it's electric from all or virtually all renewables. I am not sure what that percentage is with CL&P (EverSource now). It's probably above 25%.

I looked today again at the map and it seems the changes I saw on Monday were reverted. Fenway is now $0.27/kWh, other Boston superchargers are $0.27/kWh and Hudson is $0.27/kWh. Perhaps Tesla is using a neural net to set the prices for the superchargers and it is still learning.
I could swear I read, perhaps on here or maybe site that covers EV that Tesla was standardizing on $0.28 / KWH

I could swear I read, perhaps on here or maybe site that covers EV that Tesla was standardizing on $0.28 / KWH
Tesla's Supercharging webpage does list the $0.28/kWh price for locations that charge by the kWh. So, I'm sure that's the source of your recollections. But what most people didn't realize is that that is only the average (mean) price for all US superchargers collectively. This is laid out in one of the bullet points on that page.

"Average pricing information is provided below and specific pricing for each Supercharger location is shown in the navigation application on the vehicle touchscreen."

When Tesla stopped setting the price state by state, they went to a totally individual pricing for each specific supercharger location. But there are ~670 supercharger locations in the US, listing the price for each of them would be a bit onerous. Especially when each of them are liable to change at any time. Hence, only the average pricing is listed online.

• Informative
Reactions: wcorey